• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Potential Master's

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Who do you see doing the BEST at the Mark of Mastery overall?

• Sora

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Roxas

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Lea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kairi

• Terra

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Ventus

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Xion

• Total voters

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Ok, so I saw someone pose a pretty interesting question in another forum that I wanted to get everyone's opinions on over here.

Now that all of our Keyblade wielding protagonist have returned due to the events of KH3, who among those not yet named would you consider potentially being, or close to being worthy of the title of "Master" at this current point in time? Let's assume Yen Sid hypothetically called them all to take the
Mark of Mastery Exam maybe a week after Kairi and Sora's return (pretending for a minute that both of them made it back safely). Who among them do you see passing? Since Aqua/Terra's and Sora/Riku's test were both hijacked by Xehanort, for the sake of fairness, let's assume there is some kind of unexpected conflict that takes place within each person's exam. This conflict can range from an surprising but mild nuisance (ex. corrupted orbs of light), to the participants being led off course and ultimately having to find their way back (DDD). If that last factor makes things feel a bit too complicated for you to consider, you're more than welcome to simply ignore it all together. Still, I'm curious who you'd see having the will to overcome such adversity.

An important thing to remember is that one of the prerequisites for becoming a Master is having control over the balance between the light and darkness within one's heart (which, by extension, means having the necessary amount of control over one's own emotions). Note that this doesn't necessarily mean someone can't tip one way or the other (or use one more frequently), but if they did, they'd have to show complete (or enough) control over it the same way Riku & Xehanort are able to handle darkness. Terra, for example, proved he had too little control over his darkness, which caused it to flare up against his wishes or expectations during the exam. This lead Eraqus to express his worries to Aqua about those powers being "too much for him to handle."
Also, showing competence with the keyblade and it's functions I imagine is a given. Be it self or traditionally taught.

Some additional questions I'd like to propose: How well do you see certain characters enduring the
Mark of Mastery Exam regardless if they pass or not (whether it be how it was in DDD, or how it's presented BBS, or perhaps something similar)? Would some have an easier time than others when it comes to showing certain traits of the mark (like control over the balance in one's heart, strength of heart/general strength, showing competence and control of one's emotions, etc)? Who do you see being more eager to take the test and prove themselves out of the group? For some, although it could be jumping into the deep end a bit, I could definitely see them viewing the difficulty as an opportunity to prove/redeem themselves or even accelerate their own training/prowess. Based on their character, who do you see possibly learning the most about themselves while taking the exam? If they succeed, do you see them carrying a stronger confidence from it? Some characters are more humble than others, so could we see some potentially grow more arrogant with the title?

I know this is a bit of a complex topic, but I thought it could be pretty fun to discuss 🙂

Nexale

Wow, I love this topic. Enough for me to stop stalking the web and posting again.

I think I'm going to desglose what I think about this. Sorry, is going to be long.

In terms of "eagerness" to take the exam, my votes are Lea>Ventus>Sora. Lea has stated clearly in two games that pretend to become a Keyblade Master, that is for sure. It was also Ven's dream in BBS and I don't see any reason for it to change. And Sora... I think he is eager for anything, actually: looks very confident about taking the test in DDD and failling once doesn't descourage him in my opinion.

The rest, I don't see even trying. Roxas and Xion always seems to want a normal life, not becoming great heroes or call atention, so I definitely see them refusing even if they had a chance. Kairi wants to go along with Sora, nor becoming a Master. And I see Terra refusing too, much like Riku did at the beginning of DDD: he has fallen into the darkness once, and I don't think he can consider himself as ready as in BBS.

In therms of "power", I'll go Roxas>Sora. Let's not forget that the exam has also consider combat skills, even if it's not the primary focus. Sora seems to be by far the most powerfull characters in the series, beating almost every other one. I'll put Roxas above Sora because I think that he can do the same as Sora and a little bit more because his two keyblades, but just hasn't got the same time to shine and prove himself over worthy opponents.

If I have to choose, I'll put Terra later, but the truth is that he is only powerfull as Lingering Will, while Terranort has more of the strenght of Xehanort than Terra. In his combat against Aqua he losed, and is stated that he has strenght, but is shown slow and don't have neither a great skill, nor a great magic. Ventus is a middle to me, nor strong, but not weak either, so I think he wouldn't do bad. Xion seems to have learn how to copy other people abilities in KH3, nor only Sora/Roxas, so I think I'll give her an extra point for that and I'm not going to consider her definitely weak. Kairi and Lea are beyond redemption in this subject, thougth.

Now, "unexpectation". That I think is really complicated, because more or less all the "heroes" never have a plan and go see what happens, so they are trained in this matter. However, if I have to make a list... hmm, Sora>Lea>Roxas>Kairi>Ventus. Sora always find his way out somehow through a miracle, as Yen Sid says, so he passes with honors. I think Lea also shine in this point because all the way through CoM, KH2 and DDD is actually surfing the plot and using everything in his won advantage, wheather is "Oh, Repliku survived. Well, let's use it to kill Zexion" to "Now I'm recompleted, so better go for a keyblade before it's too late and turn the tables. Xehanort won't expect that": for this, second in line. Roxas wins third, because for having lost all memories in KH2 prologue, he manage to overcome all the challenges, been defeating nobodys, Axel, or finding ways in the TT's mansion; also in KH3 he practically awakes in the middle of a battle and continues without blinking, and he isn't distracted either when Xion attacks him in the end of 358/2 days.

Moving on, Kairi, even with little screen time, jump through a dark corridor and scape from a prison with Namine in a heartbeat. Is not in the level of the above, but in proportion was pretty unexpected to her, so she has a great pass. Ventus hasn't prove neither weakness nor strength in this point, but I'm going to say he's good because he doen't hesitate to go after Terra in the second he learn is in danger, and also manage to make good decision after something as unexpected as learning the truth about Vanitas and himself.

Xion and Terra fail absolutely. Terra is always fooled by the unexpected: doensn't know how to adapt himself to people or circumstances. Xion lose every unexpected combact se has (Riku and Axel in 358/2 days) and collapse in the second she heard a hurtful truth; she neither seems to be able to look for a solution on her own when she lose the keyblade she gives for granted, and are Axel and Roxas the ones who come up with the good ideas, the first with a temporary solution in a blink, and the second with a definitely one within a few days.

"Control of emotions/light and dark balance" is the hardest in my opinion. I'll go Ventus>Kairi, even if they somehow cheat because not having any darkness inside them. Nevertheless, I think Ventus shines here because he defeat Vanitas in his own heart, which I'm going to take as a representation of control over his own identity, emotions and balance of the two powers. Kairi just never shown anything related to this topic, but she is a PoH: she wins this just because.

Sora fail in DDD precisely for this topic, because he follows his heart blindly to Xehanort: also, he has a Furious form and an Antiform, so I don't think he applies. For Terra, I'm not going even to discuss this after BBS. So, that let us RAX and, ironically, nobodies/former-nobodies as they are, they fail clearly. Xion can control the memories of Sora she is absorbing and turn "windows blue screen" every now and then. Roxas is not exactly selfcontrolled, giving how he attacks the hologram of DiZ in KH2 and revolves inside Sora's heart trying to take over. And Lea, even if he could has a pass in control (after all, in CoM his card is called "stoic", at least in Spanish), he is always looking for the easy route to accomplish things, wich is synonim of darkness in this game: after all, he kidnapped Kairi and murder Vexen and Zexion, things that he regret later on. That's not using light and darkness, that is succumbing to tempation.

So, after that analysis... my vote is for Ventus. He is the more well-rounded character (in the topics of this exam, of course), and even if he doesn't shine in many of the areas, he doesn't really fails in any, while all the others have one or more Aquiles' hill. Besides, he has got proper training from Eraqus and has a long road from the Union era, so I think he is the more prepared right know.

All the others will fail, in my opinion:
- Sora has already fail, and I don't think he learn from the experience. I think he would always prefer to follow his heart to be a Master, even if ir leads him to a cliff. (And, meta-story here, I think Nomura loves to much the underdog narrative).
- Roxas could manage to pass, and would be my second vote... but I don't think he would ever try. Ironically, one of the most suited is the one who doens't want the title.
- Lea definitely will try... and definitely will lose. I believe someday we will have a Master Lea, but at the very least it would be in another decade and at the end of another saga.
- Kairi. Before talking about whether she can or not pass a exam, I think she should center in "pass a game" (without been kidnapped or killed, I mean).
- Terra. I think he think he needs more training, and he need it, just maybe nor in the sense he can practice with a sword. But I believe he has learnt from the experience of Xehanort, and once he recover the confidence in himself he will pass properly.
- Xion is not ready, and she doesn't care. I don't see her even trying unless Roxas and Lea both take the test. What I think is, if she ever try, she will undergo it when she is completely ready, and will pass when that happens. If that happens, what I don't think.

So, this is my approach. Sorry if is a text wall (and for my bad English).

okhi12

Awards
I disagree. Terra has the proper training and I don't think he would make the same mistakes, I'm sure he has learned a lot after all he has passed through and he won't be so naive and easily tempted now. Riku can teach him how to handle his darkness if he still has problems with that. You say he is weak but Riku and Mickey are masters and they were a joke in KH3.
But I agree with the ones who voted Ventus and Roxas. They are good candidates, and Lea is really really motivated so he will make it someday. I don't see Kairi or Xion trying to pass, but Xion could if she wanted after some training, she has the spirit. Kairi is useless, sorry. That is how Nomura made her and if that hasn't changed by KH3 i don't think it will ever be different. She is a princess of heart and it seems that is the most important title she will ever get unless Nomura decides to revamp her.
And Sora... who knows. He for sure has a strong heart, but Sora... is Sora. He really doesn't need to be a master.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Interesting. Let' just evaluate them.

Sora: Like others I'm also getting this vibe of Sora remaining a "genin" as long as possible in order not to lose his underdog status and always having something Donald can bitch at him about. Also KH III still pointed out how his recklessness can be a flaw others can exploit (I kinda wish at some point he'll get actual consequences for it, though).
Imma say no to him as a Master. I can only see it happening if it's somehow necessary to the story for him to become one.

Roxas: I don't think Roxas cares about this stuff, so I don't even think he'd take the exam. I wondered a lot about the Keyblade at the beginning, but then he kinda let that go.
I actually would love if Xion is the one who joins the group of wielders while Roxas just goes to Twilight Town to live the normal life he craves. Xion was more the "heroic" character, wanting to be part of something greater. Roxas was always much more "selfish" in his reasoning: all he cares about are him and his friends.
In terms of Roxas being "worthy"... I think he's too impulsive and self-assorbed as well. Plus he got done in because he somehow didn't know the Keyblade can reappear in the wielder's hand. Come on, man.

Lea: Couldn't say. Part of me thinks he's in the same boat as Roxas, he took the Keyblade just to save his friends, but then he goes on more than once about becoming a Keyblade Master himself.
Either that's just banter or he's serious. I think Lea becoming a Master would be pretty cheap and undeserved, hence why I think it's actually very likely.
However, Lea wouldn't be a bad pick, honestly. If he can get some of the cunning he had in CoM, that'd be a pretty darn effective Master.

Kairi: why are we even considering her, they'll never let that happen.
Kairi is uncorruptible by nature, so as soon as she gains combat abilities to defend herself from ̶N̶o̶m̶u̶r̶a̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶w̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ people who want to kidnap her, she'd be fine.
I'd need to see her being in charge of at least one situation before asserting whether she has good judgement.

Terra: Terra is my pick as a possible new Master. I think he has learned his lesson, and if Riku was able to use Ansem's corruption to become stronger I don't see why Terra also couldn't. He couldn't do it so far because his shackles were far greater.
And he has the power to match his (hopefully) newfound fortitude.

Ventus: Mhh... if only KH III gave him some kind of personality and development, answering this would be easier. Ven has power, but in BbS was far from Master material and I have no idea where he stands in KH III with that.
Any further element to decide this will have to come from whatever his story in Ux will be.

Xion: making Xion a Master would be top. I already said how Xion always looked more selfless and self-aware than Roxas in Days, immediately ready to give herself for the cause and overthrowing the Organization because of the evil they represented.
Giving the character who was the most miserable since she wasn't even supposed to exist the title of Master (perhaps backed up by a representation of Xion working hard to earn it) would be the best move imo.
I didn't pick her simply because I don't see it happening.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm confident Sora is fated to become something greater than a mere Master, so I'm going to pass on him.

Like others pointed out Terra is the next best choice since he cares about the title. Though i would have preferred it if Eraqus really should have named him one before passing on. While I doubt they would dedicate a game to it I could see both boys doing the exam offscreen and recieving the titles from Aqua or Yen Sid

Aurora Lark

Awards
I actually think that Roxas would make a nice Keyblade master if that’s the way they go because he can have the naive and easygoing personality like Sora (he is his other) but then there’s also a darker angrier side of him he’s had to work to control. He has a wide range of moods that I would say he controls plus his Keyblades Oathkeeper and Oblivion and he seems more mature a little then Sora. Lastly he is insanely powerful no else uses two Keyblades

ryushin5

Website
carnivalranger.deviantart.com
Interesting. Let' just evaluate them.

Sora: Like others I'm also getting this vibe of Sora remaining a "genin" as long as possible in order not to lose his underdog status and always having something Donald can bitch at him about. Also KH III still pointed out how his recklessness can be a flaw others can exploit (I kinda wish at some point he'll get actual consequences for it, though).
Imma say no to him as a Master. I can only see it happening if it's somehow necessary to the story for him to become one.

Roxas: I don't think Roxas cares about this stuff, so I don't even think he'd take the exam. I wondered a lot about the Keyblade at the beginning, but then he kinda let that go.
I actually would love if Xion is the one who joins the group of wielders while Roxas just goes to Twilight Town to live the normal life he craves. Xion was more the "heroic" character, wanting to be part of something greater. Roxas was always much more "selfish" in his reasoning: all he cares about are him and his friends.
In terms of Roxas being "worthy"... I think he's too impulsive and self-assorbed as well. Plus he got done in because he somehow didn't know the Keyblade can reappear in the wielder's hand. Come on, man.

Lea: Couldn't say. Part of me thinks he's in the same boat as Roxas, he took the Keyblade just to save his friends, but then he goes on more than once about becoming a Keyblade Master himself.
Either that's just banter or he's serious. I think Lea becoming a Master would be pretty cheap and undeserved, hence why I think it's actually very likely.
However, Lea wouldn't be a bad pick, honestly. If he can get some of the cunning he had in CoM, that'd be a pretty darn effective Master.

Kairi: why are we even considering her, they'll never let that happen.
Kairi is uncorruptible by nature, so as soon as she gains combat abilities to defend herself from ̶N̶o̶m̶u̶r̶a̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶w̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ people who want to kidnap her, she'd be fine.
I'd need to see her being in charge of at least one situation before asserting whether she has good judgement.

Terra: Terra is my pick as a possible new Master. I think he has learned his lesson, and if Riku was able to use Ansem's corruption to become stronger I don't see why Terra also couldn't. He couldn't do it so far because his shackles were far greater.
And he has the power to match his (hopefully) newfound fortitude.

Ventus: Mhh... if only KH III gave him some kind of personality and development, answering this would be easier. Ven has power, but in BbS was far from Master material and I have no idea where he stands in KH III with that.
Any further element to decide this will have to come from whatever his story in Ux will be.

Xion: making Xion a Master would be top. I already said how Xion always looked more selfless and self-aware than Roxas in Days, immediately ready to give herself for the cause and overthrowing the Organization because of the evil they represented.
Giving the character who was the most miserable since she wasn't even supposed to exist the title of Master (perhaps backed up by a representation of Xion working hard to earn it) would be the best move imo.
I didn't pick her simply because I don't see it happening.
Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't Ventus already a master? Like in KHUX are the new Union Leaders considered Keyblade Masters since they were chosen to succeed the previous ones?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think that Sora would do the best, I mean most of the series Sora has dealt with the biggest threats. We're also told how powerful Sora is throughout the series (although this does come down to his friends being his power, so maybe his solitary strength isn't that much?)

If not Sora, then I think Terra would be a master. He seems like the only keyblade wielder to actually want the title. Lea/Kairi/Roxas/Xion don't seem to care (they probably don't even know what that is).

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't Ventus already a master? Like in KHUX are the new Union Leaders considered Keyblade Masters since they were chosen to succeed the previous ones?

They are CONSIDERED as such, but they are five guys (one of them wasn't even supposed to be there) picked by the Master of Masters and put in charge without so much as a test or exam, probably for a very specific purpose.
I won't count that as being an actual Master until I have some reason to do so, especially since Ven himself is like "Why did they pick me, I suck."

Back