• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

possible reasoning behind design of Xblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
So i was thinking today, "there has to be a reason it's so... unattractive" and I might have a viable reasoning behind the looks. First, lets take a look at said Xblade,
latest
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jadensadventures/images/3/34/X-Blade.png/revision/latest?cb=20130729180311

Now lets think about some of the lore in the KH series.
1. The keyblades we see are fashioned in image of the Xblade.
2. The Xblade was shattered into pieces of light and pieces of darkness.
These are the important facts we'll need.

Separately, these facts amount to nothing, but together, these faces could hold some explanation into the image of the Xblade. The Xblade was shattered into light and darkness. In order for this to occur, it must be comprised of both light and darkness. there are two keyblades on the Xblade. I believe one symbolizes light and the other darkness. This would explain why there are keyblades of both light and darkness (as we have seen with the soul-eater [assuming it is in fact a keyblade] and the kingdom key D). But the big flaw comes from the fact of #1. None of the keyblades we've seen have looked like the keyblade in its entirety.

Well if one kingdom key represents light, and the other darkness, then couldn't it stand to reason that the keyblades that were fashioned in "the image of the Xblade" really just be fashioned in the image of the corresponding part? ie. the keyblade parts of the Xblade. This would mean that both the keyblades of light and the keyblades of darkness would look like giant keys. But wait!!! the Xblade has giant keys on it, but it doesn't look like a giant key.

My first point to this is the fact that the name "Xblade" doesn't have the word "key" in it. It is pronounced the same, but only because of the letter "X" (pretend its not an X). As MX said, it could be pronounced "Kye". My point for that is that the Xblade is not a Keyblade therefore it does not have to be key shaped. It might act as a key to kingdom hearts and have the same powers as a keyblade, but it is not a key shaped sword.

My second point is the fact that the keyblades are called that as a play on Xblade, and as a reference to the fact they are keys. Since the Xblade is the key to kingdom hearts and almost acts as the life force, or chi (X) for it (without it, kingdom hearts is lost), it is fitting that it was called the Xblade and not the keyblade.

I know it got a little repetitive in there, but I hope i was able to make a little sense. Im not always the best at explaining my thought process. lol. But it made sense to me.

Last edited:

Oathkeyper97

Pretty much everything you said makes sense to me. :p

I would like to add something else, however. This is something that was recently brought to my attention regarding the symbolic meaning of the X-blade. In Catholicism, the concept of the "Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven" are represented by this emblem:
Emblem_of_the_Papacy_svg1.png

As you can see, it is two keys in the shape of an X. I really do think that the X-blade was designed to reference this, since the X-blade is what unlocks Kingdom Hearts, which is a realm that can be compared to heaven. Not to mention that they both have crowns in them, too.

Anyway, yeah, that was pretty cool to me, so just thought I'd share that.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
Thats really cool. I'm Catholic and never knew that. lol. Im glad my rambling made sense to you too

tiofrodo

I would like to add something else, however. This is something that was recently brought to my attention regarding the symbolic meaning of the X-blade. In Catholicism, the concept of the "Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven" are represented by this emblem:

As you can see, it is two keys in the shape of an X. I really do think that the X-blade was designed to reference this, since the X-blade is what unlocks Kingdom Hearts, which is a realm that can be compared to heaven. Not to mention that they both have crowns in them, too.

Pretty cool, you can even see the colors of the Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D, never really gave much thought about religion inspirations in KH even though Final Fantasy has a lot of them, makes me wonder if there is more.

Mavxo

Awards
Oh god, Kingdom Hearts just got a lot of Eva like all of a sudden

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Does that confirm the pope as a master keyblade wielder?
He's Xehanort or Xemnas to be precise, building a fake KH from the hearts of men while acting as a false representative of the old Master of Masters (Who was Jesus)

(on that I'm being 100% serious, just go read those posts by TheRealAnsem in Forum Insanity if you can find them lol, we had some debating going on there)

Combine the two keyblades to create the narrow midle path which is the blade (guarding Eden), what bothers me is that both keyblades are light, shouldn't one of them be a golden KKD? Did that just not look good enough? idk, it's not like they combined 2 light/dark hearts or anything, Vanitas was dark and Ventus light, there's a chance they've changed slightly but not that much.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Another interesting detail to note: those two keys in the Catholic emblem right there are said to represent a duality of temporal and divine. You know, a coexisting combination of the two. Sound familiar?

Ah, I just love how crazily multi-faceted things can get around here.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's typical for japanese stories to use religious imagery and symbolism often without actually referring to the religion itself, so those parallels do not surprise me in the slightest.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
So i was thinking today, "there has to be a reason it's so... unattractive" and I might have a viable reasoning behind the looks. First, lets take a look at said Xblade,
latest
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jadensadventures/images/3/34/X-Blade.png/revision/latest?cb=20130729180311

Now lets think about some of the lore in the KH series.
1. The keyblades we see are fashioned in image of the Xblade.
2. The Xblade was shattered into pieces of light and pieces of darkness.
These are the important facts we'll need.

Separately, these facts amount to nothing, but together, these faces could hold some explanation into the image of the Xblade. The Xblade was shattered into light and darkness. In order for this to occur, it must be comprised of both light and darkness. there are two keyblades on the Xblade. I believe one symbolizes light and the other darkness. This would explain why there are keyblades of both light and darkness (as we have seen with the soul-eater [assuming it is in fact a keyblade] and the kingdom key D). But the big flaw comes from the fact of #1. None of the keyblades we've seen have looked like the keyblade in its entirety.

Well if one kingdom key represents light, and the other darkness, then couldn't it stand to reason that the keyblades that were fashioned in "the image of the Xblade" really just be fashioned in the image of the corresponding part? ie. the keyblade parts of the Xblade. This would mean that both the keyblades of light and the keyblades of darkness would look like giant keys. But wait!!! the Xblade has giant keys on it, but it doesn't look like a giant key.

My first point to this is the fact that the name "Xblade" doesn't have the word "key" in it. It is pronounced the same, but only because of the letter "X" (pretend its not an X). As MX said, it could be pronounced "Kye". My point for that is that the Xblade is not a Keyblade therefore it does not have to be key shaped. It might act as a key to kingdom hearts and have the same powers as a keyblade, but it is not a key shaped sword.

My second point is the fact that the keyblades are called that as a play on Xblade, and as a reference to the fact they are keys. Since the Xblade is the key to kingdom hearts and almost acts as the life force, or chi (X) for it (without it, kingdom hearts is lost), it is fitting that it was called the Xblade and not the keyblade.

I know it got a little repetitive in there, but I hope i was able to make a little sense. Im not always the best at explaining my thought process. lol. But it made sense to me.

Only problem I see with this theory is that the X-Blade is made up of two Kingdom Keys, identical weapons. If one represents light and the other darkness, then why isn't the X-Blade made up of one Kingdom Key and one Kingdom Key D? It's certainly an odd design choice, not using one of each, you think?

Ven_Roxas

Awards
Only problem I see with this theory is that the X-Blade is made up of two Kingdom Keys, identical weapons. If one represents light and the other darkness, then why isn't the X-Blade made up of one Kingdom Key and one Kingdom Key D? It's certainly an odd design choice, not using one of each, you think?

I agree, but the X-blade existed before keyblades. This means before the KKD. so the only "keyblades" in existence were those on the X-blade. The alternate coloring could have been decided when the KKD was made, in order to distinguish that it was the dark counterpart and not be confused with he KK of light.

Venx

Looks for me just like your first keyblade you ever had 2 times together as handle which blades form together a new blade that looks a bit like ultima. so the first and (probably) last of your keyblades, strongest and the weakst. Can't really interprete more into this, even tho I read some good points here.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'm thinking that they preferred symmetry over making thematic sense. That, and maybe they didn't want to make the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven parallel TOO obvious.

I'm still holding out for a better design for this thing in the future, though. Something that has an appearance that actually conveys the "perfect and equal cross/balance of darkness and light." After all, what we see here is an imperfect facsimile that wasn't crafted the "proper" way.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
This would explain why there are keyblades of both light and darkness (as we have seen with the soul-eater [assuming it is in fact a keyblade] and the kingdom key D).
Soul Eater's not quite a keyblade; it's more like a weapon forged from darkness. KKD is one, though, and also one of darkness. Details aside, I like where you're going with this one; it's as if you're implying that for every effort to forge a keyblade in the image of something complete and perfect, there exists its separate counterpart, as if they're naturally incomplete and imperfect.

Not quite. Keyblades of Darkness are only found in the RoD, which for the most part was unrelated to the Keyblade War. So, most, if not all, keyblades back then were Keyblades of Light.

This is a bit of a tricky subject to discuss, but by the series standards (by which I mean MX's), keyblades resemble the X-Blade.

Xehanort's Report said:
I have uncovered the Keyblade's ultimate mystery. You see, besides the three families of Keyblades, there is another "Key Blade." While it may sound the same when spoken, it is notated uniquely: "χ-blade." And make no mistake, while it resembles a normal Keyblade, it is something altogether different.

If you say so, old man.

A little unrelated, but I consider the X-Blade to be as much of a keyblade as KH is a heart. Take that analogy as you will.

Overall, not bad; really liked how you related Keyblades of Darkness into equation. I think you may be on to something when it comes to keyblade classes as a whole relating the X-Blade's contents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back