• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Portfolio Dump

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortissimo

Anyone do classical art? I do mainly conceptual sculpture currently but my first love is classical sculpture. I was going through my portfolio and found these guys and thought I'd share
If any of you guys do classical sculpture, I'd love to hear about your techniques :D

tumblr_m5ogfqW75h1ryfxeko1_500.jpg

fan art of Matt Smith
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Joseph Gordan-Levitt comission for a friend.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

fun.

tumblr_mqfa6qeglZ1ryfxeko1_500.jpg

classical Ecorche study. took forever....

Some of this is pre-college but old favorites.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
You obviously spent a lot of time sculpting if you came to those results

i took a class 2 semesters ago and it was a pretty enjoyable/interesting experience, but i'm too devoted to draftsmanship/painting to give up the pencils and spend time messing with clay :p

your proportions and shapes are pretty good, though i can't really recognize jgl in that caricature (matt smith's is more recognizable). i mean, i can see it now that you pointed it out, but it doesn't resemble him enough for it to be immediate.

Last edited:

Shawty

Awards
So interesting! I've never seen anyone doing this, it must take a lot of time and patience to complete these. I'm impressed, very nicely done.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
These are fabulous! I love the Matt Smith sculpture! I know working with clay is really hard, but, wow! The amount of time, skill and patience you put into this; was worth the effort and turned out amazing.

How much clay did you have to use? How long have you been working with sculpting? Are you gonna make a career out of it? :D

Fortissimo

You obviously spent a lot of time sculpting if you came to those results

i took a class 2 semesters ago and it was a pretty enjoyable/interesting experience, but i'm too devoted to draftsmanship/painting to give up the pencils and spend time messing with clay :p

your proportions and shapes are pretty good, though i can't really recognize jgl in that caricature (matt smith's is more recognizable). i mean, I can see it now that you pointed it out, but it doesn't resemble him enough for it to be immediate.
Yeah the JGL one was a quick sculpt. Finished it in about 4 hours. It's not one of my best. I actually had to use a water bottle as the armature lol.

Shawty said:
So interesting! I've never seen anyone doing this, it must take a lot of time and patience to complete these. I'm impressed, very nicely done.

Thanks so much! :)

KitKat said:
These are fabulous! I love the Matt Smith sculpture! I know working with clay is really hard, but, wow! The amount of time, skill and patience you put into this; was worth the effort and turned out amazing.

How much clay did you have to use? How long have you been working with sculpting? Are you gonna make a career out of it? :D

Thank you!!!!
The one of Matt Smith is my favorite. I actually took the sculpture further and added clothes and turned him into the doctor.

As for the amount of clay, it depends. Matt Smith took around 60lbs of clay. And I used non-fire clay so it's still about that heavy after the water evaporated. The JG-L sculpture is only 20 lbs of non-fire clay so its pretty small. The sculpture's of the members of fun. are all around 40lbs each. I tried to hollow them out as much as possible to make them lighter.

I've been studying classical sculpture on my own for 5 years now. I've been self taught, realizing that classical sculptors are a rare breed. The processes is trial and error, anatomy anatomy anatomy, and just figuring out the best way to create for yourself. I am in Art school now for sculpture, but not for the type i've posted here. My other work is way different. lol BUt yeah, i do plan on making a career out of it. So far things are looking good.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Oh my gosh, these are so awesome~

JGL actually looks like his gussied up Bruce Willis form from the Looper film.

Great job, Fortissimo! I love how expressive the faces are. Who is the guy on the left in the third photo, btw?

Fortissimo

Thanks!!! You know I have yet to see that film... even worse I actually have it and still haven't watched it.

But the guy on the left is Andrew Dost from fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back