• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[POLL] Mar-look-sha or Mar-loo-sha?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Mar-look-sha or Mar-loo-sha?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
That's how I always pronounced it too. Of course the way you and I pronounced it was by using the english pronounciation of the letter "X". It japan "X" gives the "Sh" sound. So it would appear that when they translated the Organization's names, they gave some members the english pronounciation of "X" while Marluxia and Xion has the japanese pronounciation of "X"

Besides, why give a manly name to a not-so-manly person?

But to be specific, the letter "x" makes a "sh" sound in Chinese rather than Japanese. If a Japanese word is transliterated into a word with an "x", it could be either a "ks" or a "sh" sound depending on its Japanese spelling.

Awards
I too called him "Mar-LUCK-see-ya" for some time. Then I started taking Chinese classes and learned that characters with pinyin beginning with the letter "x" were pronounced like the "sh" sound, and I began to question exactly how it should be pronounced; some Chinese characters have the pinyin "xia", which sounds like "shya." It was then that my Chinese classes paved the way for my interest in the Japanese language, and I stumbled across Marluxia's name written in Katakana, "マールーシャ" which, when romanized, is "Ma-ru-sha" (literally pronounced Mah-roo-shah). From that point on, I pronounced it "Mar-LOO-sha."

While I'm at it, allow me to change the subject in a way that may not be entirely appropriate for this blog:

There seems to be additional debate for how the names of other members whose names are never audibly spoken: Xigbar, Demyx (though that changed for KHIIFM), and Luxord. But since I learned of the Japanese spelling and pronunciation of things, I seek to clear up things.

For Xigbar, names like Xemnas and Xaldin make the "z" sound, but that doesn't necessarily apply to Xigbar. It is actually pronounced "SHIG-bar" since his name in Japanese is シグバール (Shiguba-ru). The only way it would be pronounced "ZIG-bar" is if his name was spelled グバール (Jiguba-ru), since the "Ji" character is grouped within the family of characters that begin with the letter "Z," or something along those lines.

For Demyx and Luxord, however, fear not, as their names are デミックス (Demikkusu) and ルクソード (Rukuso-do) and make the traditional "x" sound. However, I still can't decide whether to pronounce Demyx as "De-MICKS" or "De-MEEKS," and Luxord as "LUCKS-ord" or "LOOKS-ord." I suppose, regarding the way we Americans pronounce it, it may be "MICKS" and "LUCKS."

And that, as they say, is that.

Bliip

Should change his username D:<
i used to say Mar-lucks-eea. but yeah, its Mar-loosh-a. They say it in the game.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
Marluxia is known as gay enough (read: I don't think he's gay) so I don't go with Marloosha.
I say Mar-lucks-see-uh.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I say it 'Mar-loo-sha' because I kept on watching this Japanese ReCoM scene... The one in Twilight Town after you beat Vexen. Sora said 'Mar-loo-sha' so, in Japanese, that's the correction pronouncation. D: Noooooot quite sure if it would exactly be the same for English, but they did use that pronouncation in the English verison of the game...

Before that, it was MAR-LUCKS-SEE-UHHHHHH. :D (blameyoutubeanddubbingandrandomthingsyeeeeeeees) But everybody's name pronunciation was weird in CoM... Uhhh... Nah-mah-nee and Zeh-ecks-see-an are the only two I can think of. XD; Sounds so weiiiiiird.

qster

The Last Bulbasaur
I say it 'Mar-loo-sha' because I kept on watching this Japanese ReCoM scene... The one in Twilight Town after you beat Vexen. Sora said 'Mar-loo-sha' so, in Japanese, that's the correction pronouncation. D: Noooooot quite sure if it would exactly be the same for English, but they did use that pronouncation in the English verison of the game...
It is a name, so yes it would be kept the same.

Muse

you look atrocious
I say it Mar-luck-seeya.

Because, you know, that's how you're supposed to pronounce it in English. :v

Not Marloosha. That's Japanese, people.

UnstoppableSound

I used to say Mar-luck-sia (pronouncing x as in ex) but after i found out how to say it, cos what i did before was say how I read it, no i say mar-lu-shia

SAME HERE! I'd always say Mar-Luck-Sia, but once I started playing Re:CoM, I was proven wrong...
Same goes for Larxene, I used to pronounce her name Lar-Zeen, but it's Lark-Zeen.
Anyway, it's Mar-Loo-Sha for correct pronunciation (even though sometime I say Mar-Loo-Shia).

Muse

you look atrocious
According to the English language, Mar-luck-sia is the proper pronounciation. :/ I mean, they did the same thing for the other Organization members, why did they change it for Xion and Marluxia?

Laz

KHI's Asz-Houl
when i first played the game on the GBA, i always thought it was "Mar-look-sha", not until the PS2 version came out, i laughed when they said "Mar-loo-sha". im just wondering, who among you people say Mar-loo-sha or Mar-look-sha. me, i still say it how i originally said it as im not used to saying Mar-loo-sha, it sounds too hilarious. :lol:
Not that i like the character as a whole.I couldnt care less about it, IMO Marloosha sounds sounds better than marlooksha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back