• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pokemon | Scarlet & Violet (2022) + Legends Arceus is king

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It was unreasonable to expect anything from GameFreak. We don’t need to make more excuses for them seeing how they keep getting caught with their lies.

First it was the models.
Then it was balancing.
Now it’s their new policy.

It was last year that Masuda expressed that he didn’t like that people couldn’t transfer Pokémon easily across platforms and games and now we’re dealt this.

Nobody believes their excuses, and why would they when they’re going back on their own policies and statements.

And I said it before and I’ll say it again: They should should’ve kept their mouths shut until things further developed. Plan another Direct and carefully explain their vision and how it connects to Home.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm rather blindsided by this news that not all Pokemon are being included. Like I am not interested in the competitive scene or the Meta at all, but this just seems like a bad move.

I don't like the idea of Gamefreak now gate keeping and deciding, which Pokemon you get to play with and which ones are on the bench in definitely.

Also I feel the comparison that some made with RSE is a bit out there. In RS, you couldn't catch all Pokemon or trade with older gens, this is true, but you could still play with any Pokemon and complete the full national dex, just not from the get go.

I was upset, when I realized I was cheated with RS and I'm not interested in SwSh now that I know the game they are playing.

On the other hand I get that they've got a ton of Pokemon to animate and that's why i don't hold it against them that they're using more polished versions of the old models. However it was obvious that they'd have a lot of animating to do from the get go, so they should have planned accordingly.

To be honest the games haven't been doing it for me in recent years, I did really enjoy ORAS, but SM, USUM and Let's go have increasingly been disappointing and hard to get through and Go was just an absolute waste of potential.

Obviously I don't endorse the harassment of individuals or threats people seem to be making now. But I do feel like people should be able to flood Gamefreak and Nintendo with their dissatisfaction.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If you told me that the next mainline Pokemon games had more problems and contraversy than Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, I would have laughed in disbelief.

But alas, tis the reality we inhabit.

And on another note, I fail to see what the "toxicity" is about. If you can't accept that your favourite franchise has flaws that the majority of the fandom can identify then it says more about you than it says about them.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
This video does a great job explaining the sudden trajectory change of the series.

Funny thing is many people predicted Go would hurt the series in the long run.

Perkilator

Awards
If you told me that the next mainline Pokemon games had more problems and contraversy than Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, I would have laughed in disbelief.

But alas, tis the reality we inhabit.

And on another note, I fail to see what the "toxicity" is about. If you can't accept that your favourite franchise has flaws that the majority of the fandom can identify then it says more about you than it says about them.
All well and good, but that doesn't mean we can't see the flaws and not treat the creators of the game like absolute shit. If people are willing to jump ship, no problem. But violently harassing Game Freak and others who don't circlejerk with them? I think, personally, that's the "toxicity" people are referring to.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Kris & Lyra side by side, what weird dimensional paradox is this?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
The Multiverse is real! I love the heavy focus on Gen V.

All I need is N and I’m set.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Pokemon (Retirement) Home.

This royally sucks, I've been planning for months on how to revamp/train the team I've been using since DPP & now most of them probably won't make it over.
What was your team?

Also, is there a list of Pokemon that are getting cut? I really hope they keep all 151 from Kanto and Crobat.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
What would be everyone’s dream team for Pokémon Masters? It can be characters from side games.

For a funny team: Team Skull B???
• Miror B with Ludicolo
• Guzma with Golisipod
• Imakuni with Slowpoke

Dynamic characters: Team Grey
• N with Zoroark
• Zinnia with Salamence
• Emma with Espurr

Police characters: Team Law & Order
• Looker with Croagunk
• Annabelle with Raikou
• Officer Jenny with Growlithe

Bad parents club: Team Parental Punishment
• Giovanni with Nidoqueen/Kanghaskan
• Ghetsis with Hydreigon
• Lusamine with Clefable

First Rock Leaders: Team Rolling Stones
• Brock with Onix
• Roxanne with Nosepass
• Roark with Cranidos

Traveling partners: Team Jack of all Trades
• Brock with Onix
• Cilan with Pansage
• Clemont with Helioptile

Dragon trainers: Team Old Scales
• Drayden with Druddigon
• Drasna with Noivern
• Drake with Flygon

Bad guys: Team Mad Science
• Charon with Rotom
• Colress with Magneton
• Xerosic with Malamar

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
What was your team?

Also, is there a list of Pokemon that are getting cut? I really hope they keep all 151 from Kanto and Crobat.
Realistically the 151 Kanto Pokemon will probably all make it, seeing as Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee already had the models for all those, and Mew is confirmed to be available.

Next step I'd say is likely is to have the evolutions of those Pokemon that appear in later gens available. So Magmortar, Electivire, etc. A few regular Gen 2 and 4 mons as well.

Gen 3, 5, 6, and 7 will probably be limited to just the absolute most popular non-starter Pokemon of those regions, like Metagross and Aegislash. Gen 5 will almost undoubtedly be the one hit the worst by the Pokedex thing.

Personally I doubt any of the non-Kanto or Galar starters, non-Mew or Mewtwo Legendaries, Ultra Beasts, or gimmick mons like Castform and the Burmy line will make it in. None of those. That way they focus on the new Legendaries, starters, etc.

Also, if we think about it, just removing all of the Legendaries, Mythicals, Ultra Beasts, starters, and weird gimmick Pokemon like Unown will account for a huge chunk of Pokedex alone.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Realistically the 151 Kanto Pokemon will probably all make it, seeing as Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee already had the models for all those, and Mew is confirmed to be available.

Next step I'd say is likely is to have the evolutions of those Pokemon that appear in later gens available. So Magmortar, Electivire, etc. A few regular Gen 2 and 4 mons as well.

Gen 3, 5, 6, and 7 will probably be limited to just the absolute most popular non-starter Pokemon of those regions, like Metagross and Aegislash. Gen 5 will almost undoubtedly be the one hit the worst by the Pokedex thing.

Personally I doubt any of the non-Kanto or Galar starters, non-Mew or Mewtwo Legendaries, Ultra Beasts, or gimmick mons like Castform and the Burmy line will make it in. None of those. That way they focus on the new Legendaries, starters, etc.

Also, if we think about it, just removing all of the Legendaries, Mythicals, Ultra Beasts, starters, and weird gimmick Pokemon like Unown will account for a huge chunk of Pokedex alone.
That's great news! Every Pokemon game I only ever bother catch the Pokemon from Gen 1 or 2 (I normally release the new region starter).

I feel bad that the Pokedex is being so negatively affected. For their first time on a main console, which is what everyone has been wanting to see for years, you would think that they would have gone all out to show the world what they could do, only to come up short. When I was younger and had time, I used to have fun trying to fill up the Pokedex and Sword/Shield sounded like it would have been the ultimate experience doing so... guess not. I don't even get the whole "space issues" defense. There are games like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout that pack a huge amount of content into one disc. Even the old Pokemon games on GameCube had a bunch of models. Why is it so hard?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
What was your team?
Gyradoes (confirmed), Torterra, Purugly, Smeargle, Durant, Umbreon. Each member of the team represented a different IRL family pet past or present (well, a lot more past now than when this was started).

What would be everyone’s dream team for Pokémon Masters? It can be characters from side games.
-Misty
-HGSS Misty
-The inevitable Wedding Dress Misty

Boy, if you thought Fire Emblem Heroes was bad with the waifu banners, wait until this game gets going.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Masuda finally responded to the backlash and to no one’s surprise, nothing will change.

It drives me insane that this is the same man that considers Black and White his magnum opus and then pulls this bs.

The stage is set and he made his move, come release date we will see people’s decisions. I’m so tired I don’t even want to play this game anymore, used or not.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-messag...l&utm_campaign=SwordShield&utm_term=Statement

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
nothing will change.
Understandable. The game is only a couple of months away from release. A decision like that would entail a delay, and that's certainly something neither the Pokemon Company, nor Nintendo, would accept in any shape or form. The least they can do is capitalize on this market of people by making the third version or sequel have the National Dex.

I'm not defending Masuda, but yeah, it's doubtful any changes can be made right now, and I doubt they would patch a National Dex, and not just straight up re-utilize the Sword/Shield engine for another game WITH the National Dex.

It drives me insane that this is the same man that considers Black and White his magnum opus and then pulls this bs.
This is also the same man that is part of the GameFreak board of directors and knows that his video game development company needs to become less dependent of the Pokemon brand. I pretty much concur with what a YouTuber suggested: GameFreak isn't as invested in main-line Pokemon as it is in fast cash grab apps like Go and the upcoming ones.

The stage is set and he made his move, come release date we will see people’s decisions. I’m so tired I don’t even want to play this game anymore, used or not.
And the games will sell well and drive Switch units. The internet is never a reliable source of public opinion. Come casuals, and they'll go running to buy Pokemon. Parents of children. Pokemon Go brought Pokemon as an IP back into the pop culture spotlight. Detective Pikachu did the same. Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu is an attempt to approach Pokemon Go casuals into the mainline Pokemon games.

TL;DR - Pokemon Sword/Shield Versions will sell very well within GameFreak's expectations even with this backlash over the National Dex.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Understandable. The game is only a couple of months away from release. A decision like that would entail a delay, and that's certainly something neither the Pokemon Company, nor Nintendo, would accept in any shape or form. The least they can do is capitalize on this market of people by making the third version or sequel have the National Dex.

I'm not defending Masuda, but yeah, it's doubtful any changes can be made right now, and I doubt they would patch a National Dex, and not just straight up re-utilize the Sword/Shield engine for another game WITH the National Dex.

This is also the same man that is part of the GameFreak board of directors and knows that his video game development company needs to become less dependent of the Pokemon brand. I pretty much concur with what a YouTuber suggested: GameFreak isn't as invested in main-line Pokemon as it is in fast cash grab apps like Go and the upcoming ones.

And the games will sell well and drive Switch units. The internet is never a reliable source of public opinion. Come casuals, and they'll go running to buy Pokemon. Parents of children. Pokemon Go brought Pokemon as an IP back into the pop culture spotlight. Detective Pikachu did the same. Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu is an attempt to approach Pokemon Go casuals into the mainline Pokemon games.

TL;DR - Pokemon Sword/Shield Versions will sell very well within GameFreak's expectations even with this backlash over the National Dex.
Yeah, this is exactly the case. The internet can be loud as heck but the truth is the games will sell regardless. The best you can do now is to keep making the company aware that we want the Dex to be complete and hope they do so in a sequel/third version/DP remakes/etc game afterwards.

Because if you also take into account they have openly said that Game Freak has more than half of it's employees working on Town, that means less than 75 people are tasked with the development of Sword and Shield. With the Sun/Moon anime ending, the Sword and Shield anime has been in development already and is slated to release at a specific time, probably later this year. Card game too.

Pokemon Go has made about 5% of ALL THE MONEY GameFreak has EVER made. That's hugely insane. I know people in my hometown that play Pokemon Go and have never touched a single Pokemon game before. Including my aunt. She wants Sword/Shield and probably doesn't care that not all 800+ Pokemon will be in it. Sad to say, but the casual community dwarfs the competitive and deep Pokemon players in a landslide. And not even all of those are so upset at GameFreak that they won't get the games.

The games will still sell well regardless, no doubt about that. But I think the Poke.on Company doesn't care as much about the Game Freak portion of Pokemon anymore, as they can be successful without ever releasing another mainline Pokemon game again. It may even come to that. Game Freak is branching out and putting a lot of effort into new franchises like Town, and it's becoming more apparent that they either want to move on from just doing Pokemon, or that they are just way too understaffed. And the community almost demands a new game every year too. I'm not saying it is a GOOD thing they decided to go this route, but everything stacking together just points toward what we have too well.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I just wonder if GameFreak will make a third version, sequel, or go straight up to the Sinnoh remakes. I imagine they were gonna work on the DP remakes after Sun/Moon, but I presume Nintendo pressured into releasing a new gen of Pokemon for the Switch to have a mainline Pokemon game.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
This is legitimately the worst decision they've made for Pokemon since the jump from GS to RSE and not being able to transfer Pokemon. They're creating a dedicated, PAID service for Pokemon transferring and storage (Home) and you CANNOT transfer a significant portion of what you currently have.

This is catastrophic for the meta, not to mention the fact that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves being absent is a BAD move in general. Dynamaxing is not clever- please don't get it twisted. Having Pokemon "be big for three turns" is NOT a clever nor innovative addition. Don't even get me started on all the egg moves we'll lose in the process.

Oh boy, so many Pokemon were reinvented through Mega Evolutions. I can't believe that Pokemon Sword and Shield has become a harder sell of a Pokemon game than Pokemon Let's Go.

New Pokemon can only do so much for a Generation.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Does anyone know if it's technically feasible to actually have all the Pokemon/form changes/mega evolutions etc. in one game? Is that something that the Switch can pull off? I just look at games like Breath of the Wild, and I mean it seems like we're at that point technologically where having all the Pokemon available in the game should be easy.

Back