• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pokemon | Scarlet & Violet (2022) + Legends Arceus is king

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The game going into Ainu roots explains the choice of starters since owls, otters, and volcanoes are important to the history and folklore

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
The game going into Ainu roots explains the choice of starters since owls, otters, and volcanoes are important to the history and folklore
Not to mention Decidueye is an archer assassin, Samurott is a samurai, and typhlosion seems to reference (loosely) someone with a kimono and collar on. I think the Japanese name ties to Japanese culture in some way?

Soldier

Awards
Not to mention Decidueye is an archer assassin, Samurott is a samurai, and typhlosion seems to reference (loosely) someone with a kimono and collar on. I think the Japanese name ties to Japanese culture in some way?
I think it's pretty interesting how they're changing things up for this by blending different starters from different regions. Wonder how/if we'll get them with their hidden abilities in this game, as all of them have niche HAs that aren't commonly used.

Dark Rot

Awards
A Pokemon game in a feudal/ancient era (besides Conquest, which I do like) is something I've wanted for a while, but that trailer... aside from the immense Mt. Coronet and the pretty Arceus render, I wasn't impressed at all. The BotW style is unfortunate. I'm glad they're doing something new. I just wish it felt new.

While I've always had a serious problem with these "faithful" Pokemon remakes since FireRed/LeafGreen, I like the chibi style for the the characters Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl a lot. But everything else, it's like... I can just replay the originals. What is this offering me besides some gloss? While I like D&P now, as a kid I remember being disappointed that they didn't look as good as other DS games. There was barely an upgrade from the GBA. This could have been a chance to make Diamond & Pearl look as lovely as their soundtracks. Instead they went for the Link's Awakening remake route... At least remake Dawn and Lucas look cuter than LA remake Link.
The funny thing is, I still think BD/SP look better than what we've seen of Legends: Arceus so far.

I wish they had combined these two concepts, and reimagined Diamond & Pearl, either set in the feudal era, one in the future and one in the past, or a storyline that jumps around time and space more. Isn't bringing back the vibe of Sinnoh enough? Do we need the exact same 1-1 town layouts, same dialogue, same grids of trees, same Pokedex? A sequel would have been better. The visuals need to be held to a higher standard too. Neither of these games look beautiful. It's not about graphics, it's about design...

Soldier

Awards
A Pokemon game in a feudal/ancient era (besides Conquest, which I do like) is something I've wanted for a while, but that trailer... aside from the immense Mt. Coronet and the pretty Arceus render, I wasn't impressed at all. The BotW style is unfortunate. I'm glad they're doing something new. I just wish it felt new.

While I've always had a serious problem with these "faithful" Pokemon remakes since FireRed/LeafGreen, I like the chibi style for the the characters Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl a lot. But everything else, it's like... I can just replay the originals. What is this offering me besides some gloss? While I like D&P now, as a kid I remember being disappointed that they didn't look as good as other DS games. There was barely an upgrade from the GBA. This could have been a chance to make Diamond & Pearl look as lovely as their soundtracks. Instead they went for the Link's Awakening remake route... At least remake Dawn and Lucas look cuter than LA remake Link.
The funny thing is, I still think BD/SP look better than what we've seen of Legends: Arceus so far.

I wish they had combined these two concepts, and reimagined Diamond & Pearl, either set in the feudal era, one in the future and one in the past, or a storyline that jumps around time and space more. Isn't bringing back the vibe of Sinnoh enough? Do we need the exact same 1-1 town layouts, same dialogue, same grids of trees, same Pokedex? A sequel would have been better. The visuals need to be held to a higher standard too. Neither of these games look beautiful. It's not about graphics, it's about design...
Well it'd be a way to bring back Sinnoh's underground, and the annoying mechanic of getting spiritomb (Seriously? we have to meet 31 different PEOPLE in the underground for this thing to spawn? if it weren't for that little trick people discovered, no one would have this thing).

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Legends Arceus could be interesting if they implement the experimental new combat system correctly. Do we control the moves the battling Pokemon do?
It was described as an Action RPG. The game comes out a year from now, so I presume we'll get more details along the way. Maybe an e3 Direct or another Pokemon Presents close to DP's release.

I've seen a lot of people hating the Diamond/Pearl remakes
Oh, no. Not the Pokemon fandom hating new Pokemon games. :eek:

because of the chibi aesthetic,
To be honest, I don't think "it just looks chibi", it also looks like they're remaking the game while retaining the original art style.

And this is coming from someone that loves Sinnoh and thought that they would use the SwSh engine to remake it, but I am very satisfied with what we're gonna get.

Also, the chibi art style is also because of a point you make:

but I gotta say I actually prefer it over seeing the region linearized and forced into having Gigantimax stadiums to make it compatible with Sw/Sh.
Good excuse as any to NOT make it compatible with SwSh.

Same goes for Legends: it's an Action RPG in order to try something new and use as an excuse to not be compatible with SwSh.

Also: this is me assuming they aren't going to make it compatible. Who knows, but I'm inclined to think they won't make it compatible.

Will the action give us the special endgame people have been missing since the original D/P?
Special endgame?

Like what'd even is the point of Pokemon Home if it doesn't let you bring your Pokémon form game to game. B
I presume the justification is going to be that SwSh are the only "mainline" Pokemon games, whereas DP Remakes and Legends are stuff of their own.

By the way, I wonder if Legends is gonna be a sub franchise of its own or if it's gonna be the future of Pokemon.

I can see them using the Legends engine to remake the Kanto games. But I think a Gen1 remake of that scale should be attepmpted for the Switch Pro/2.

Also, they could reuse the BDSP engine to remake Black/White. I wonder what they're gonna call those remakes? Colorful Black/Stale White? xD

For people afraid that it's going to be a 1:1 of Diamond and Pearl, just with new graphics, at least 1 thing from Platinum made it in. Now obviously it's pretty logical to include the Gracidea flower in the same way Platinum did, but there is a reasonable assumption that Mega's are coming back as well.

Off course, take this all with a grain of salt.
We should be getting Megas. If they're remaking this Gen, they should include Mega Sinnoh Pokemon.

I am not Japanese so Taisho means nothing to me.

This is what I found on Google:
So it's past Sinnoh, but not ancient past, haha

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Who wants to bet you get the Azure Flute by having a Legends save file on your switch?

Xblade13

Awards
To be honest, I don't think "it just looks chibi", it also looks like they're remaking the game while retaining the original art style.

And this is coming from someone that loves Sinnoh and thought that they would use the SwSh engine to remake it, but I am very satisfied with what we're gonna get.
The fact that it isn't like Sw/Sh is actually a good thing to me, because I didn't really care that much for the new games. The routes were linear, the story bland, and G-Max was meh. I'd rather Sinnoh not have those just for the sake of it being "3D". I love the way they are doing it.

Special endgame?
Gen 4 (specifically Platinum) had the Battle Frontier, and Heartgold/Soulsilver. It was the last generation of Pokemon before people started complaining the endgame was poop, because there was more to do than just "catch them all".
Also, they could reuse the BDSP engine to remake Black/White. I wonder what they're gonna call those remakes? Colorful Black/Stale White? xD
Maybe Light Black and Dark White? It they could use "Deep" and "Vast" from Reshiram and Zekrom's Pokedex entries?

Oh, Burning White and Shocking Black could work.

WaltK

Awards
Gen 4 (specifically Platinum) had the Battle Frontier, and Heartgold/Soulsilver. It was the last generation of Pokemon before people started complaining the endgame was poop, because there was more to do than just "catch them all".
I could see them doing what ORAS did and have a post-league episode focusing on Giratina and the Reverse World.

Soldier

Awards
Who wants to bet you get the Azure Flute by having a Legends save file on your switch?
Hm, a scummy way to milk more cash out of fans?
Yeah, seems like that'll be what happens. I mean, it's not like PROGRAMMING it as a key item and making it legitimate is an option with a text telling the player to go to the spear pillar.

Soldier

Awards
side note: would anyone be willing to battle me in sword and shield? I dabble in competitive and could use some practice.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
because I didn't really care that much for the new games. The routes were linear, the story bland, and G-Max was meh.
I haven't played SwSh, so I wouldn't know there.

Gen 4 (specifically Platinum) had the Battle Frontier, and Heartgold/Soulsilver.
Oh, yes. True, true.

Maybe Light Black and Dark White? It they could use "Deep" and "Vast" from Reshiram and Zekrom's Pokedex entries?

Oh, Burning White and Shocking Black could work.
You make good points. What I want with these potential remakes is to finally see how the Dragons looked when they were originally one.

I could see them doing what ORAS did and have a post-league episode focusing on Giratina and the Reverse World.
Probably. Makes sense.

Xblade13

Awards
I haven't played SwSh, so I wouldn't know there
Same kind of routes as Sun/Moon had, where it's mostly a straight line between towns, with only a few side areas to go explore at. Only the Wild Area really gives you thar adventurous feeling.
You make good points. What I want with these potential remakes is to finally see how the Dragons looked when they were originally one
If Legends Arceus does well maybe they'll do an ancient Unova game about the origin dragon.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Same kind of routes as Sun/Moon had, where it's mostly a straight line between towns, with only a few side areas to go explore at. Only the Wild Area really gives you thar adventurous feeling.

If Legends Arceus does well maybe they'll do an ancient Unova game about the origin dragon.
& a lack of anything resembling dungeons. I don't recall the game having a Victory Road & the villain faction's lair is just 3-4 fights on an elevator.

Soldier

Awards
& a lack of anything resembling dungeons. I don't recall the game having a Victory Road & the villain faction's lair is just 3-4 fights on an elevator.
Yeah, that was kind of wierd how there was no victory road. For what it's worth Route 10 functions as a sort of victory road being right before the final town at the northernmost point of the map. But then again, it feels like a rehash of Mt. Lanakila from Sun and Moon, which was a better execution/spin on the victory roads we're used to (harboring more ice types than the traditional rock or dragon types).

Soldier

Awards
So in another pokemon related topic, have any of you heard of the SilverleagueNetworks? They were a YouTube channel that hosted their own site for online competitive battles. There's nothing left of them though, as the creator who went by the moniker Silver August decided to involve himself with underage girls. And the end result? flees like a coward and liquidates everything, his channel, discord, twitter.

Back