• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Plotholes Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkulaMark

Awards
Wait, wouldn't that mean that like, Sora could go and just be like, "Hey, this one looks cool, I'll take it" and then just wield it? o_O

Technically he could, but why should he, besides you did see xehanort use a lot of time, so yeah I think he could. Now all sora has to do is find this world:p

Dyed Red

Lol, oh wow. Another plothole btw, where was the gummi-ship when they were in worlds o_O

digimikej

Awards
It bothers me too. "Riku! The Heartless are attacking!" "I know! I'm the reason for it! I sold my home world for power when I already have powers strong enough to leave! But at least I kept my secret!" "0_0' WHAT!?" "Yeah, Terra said that Billy Zane had to appear or I would lose my Keyblade." Now THAT, my friends, is a plot hole with an explanation. He had the Keyblade so he could easily leave Destiny Islands, but Billy Zane had to make an appearance, so he let darkness into his Heart.

my memory may be rong, but im pretty sure terra said hed come back or riku. ansem SoD prolly told riku, "hey its me again, les go!". and riku did NOT have the keyblade yet. he never eilded it. he just ne he ould get one eventually. hen terra came back. AHEM.(sorry bout the missing letters, keyboards still broken)

MarkulaMark

Awards
Lol, oh wow. Another plothole btw, where was the gummi-ship when they were in worlds o_O

It would be meddling if anyone saw it, so they hid it somewhere I guess, but storywise it's not really important. Let´s just say it was waiting outside the world.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wouldn't know that this is a plot-hole or not, but I just want an answer as it's been annoying me to no end.
In Kingdom Hearts, Leon, Aerith and Yuffie clearly describe a Heartless.
'Those without hearts.'
And in II, a Nobody is described as what's left when a heart is consumed by darkness. I.E - Those without hearts.

Are Nobodies Heartless too? Is any part of their description a translation error, or am I just looking to deeply into it?

Or have I found a plothole?

It's not 'heartless' in the literal sense but metaphorical. Like how you would describe a person without emotion and is unable to feel "heartless".

Parked outside in space.

Neptun

Wait, wouldn't that mean that like, Sora could go and just be like, "Hey, this one looks cool, I'll take it" and then just wield it? o_O
considering Sora can do the same with Riku's keyblade... Yes.

Awards
The one I remember the most was all of the Disney levels in "Chain of Memories". In Traverse town we learn that all of the memory projections recognize and know the names of Sora, Donald, and Goofy, while having no memory of their previous encounters. However, every other disney character has completly forgoten about Sora, not even knowing his name. Then in the Monstro level, Pinocchio and Gepetto recognize Jimminy even though they should have forgoten every thing but his name.

Jiminy knew Pinocchio and Gepetto before he met Sora, so they would recognize him.

I've thought a ton about this before. Mickey also tells them to "look for the key", when, according to BBS, they all knew what a Keyblade was because Mickey had one. Why not just tell them "Find the guy with a Keyblade"?

I always just figured none of them knew what it was, and Mickey only got his first Keyblade in the Realm of Darkness, which was the alternate form of Sora's. I also feel that Sora's Keyblade was meant to be the only one in the series ("THE Keyblade", as it's called so many times), which is why Sora was so surprised Riku/Ansem had one in HB.

Then at one point in the series they decided to make Keyblades a standard weapon, and all of a sudden all of the praise Sora got as a special, chosen warrior of THE Keyblade seemed ill-placed and useless, and Keyblades were all over the place.

Yeah, it's a bit of retcon. Though we've always known there's been more than one keyblade with the IKK.
Still, in KHFM, Mickey says he's got THE key from that side (the dark realm). And we know there is obviously more than one dark realm keyblade.

I think the wording can still hold up depending on how things operate. For instance, could Mickey have taken any keyblade from the RoD in order to seal the DtD, or did he need one that is specifically the opposite of Sora's keyblade? If the latter, then it would make sense why he said "the" key.

Wouldn't know that this is a plot-hole or not, but I just want an answer as it's been annoying me to no end.
In Kingdom Hearts, Leon, Aerith and Yuffie clearly describe a Heartless.
'Those without hearts.'
And in II, a Nobody is described as what's left when a heart is consumed by darkness. I.E - Those without hearts.

Are Nobodies Heartless too? Is any part of their description a translation error, or am I just looking to deeply into it?

Or have I found a plothole?

Both Nobodies and Heartless lack hearts, and I think this is one of the biggest misunderstandings in the series.
Heartless, as described in the Ansem Reports (and similar to Nobodies), lack hearts and have no emotion.

Heartless are the darkness of the heart, which consumes the heart. They are not, as some people say, the hearts themselves.
People get confused by the fact that Emblems release hearts, but there is a simple analogy I used to clear this up.

When people see the hearts released from Emblems, they see this as proof that Heartless have or are "hearts." They do contain hearts, but those hearts are not THEIR hearts, they don't use them. The best way to look at it is this: whereas a normal being has a functioning heart (in their chest), the Emblem heartless could be said to have these hearts in their "stomachs." They have quite literally eaten these hearts. But they themselves are not hearts, only the darkness from them.

As for why Emblems release hearts and Purebloods don't, Nomura said in the Days Ultimania that this would be addressed in the future. I have my own ideas on this, but anything I say is conjecture.

Just a question here: Can just about anybody use those Keyblades from the Graveyard?

Yes. I would go as far as to say that even non-wielders could use them.
Note what Xehanort says:

"These lifeless keys used to be full of power." It's a Keyblade Graveyard. One could literally say that the keyblades there are "dead."
Nomura has contrasted the "inner key" with the "outer key" in the past. As I would understand it, the inner key is the true source of power for the keyblade. It is the keyblade's "soul" (or, really, in this series, its heart). The outer key is just its physical manifestation. Without the inner key, I would imagine the keyblade to be nothing more than scrap metal.

Dyed Red

It's not 'heartless' in the literal sense but metaphorical. Like how you would describe a person without emotion and is unable to feel "heartless".

Parked outside in space.
What about times like, for example, when the ship was eaten up by Monstro?

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Yeah, it's a bit of retcon. Though we've always known there's been more than one keyblade with the IKK.
Still, in KHFM, Mickey says he's got THE key from that side (the dark realm). And we know there is obviously more than one dark realm keyblade.

I think the wording can still hold up depending on how things operate. For instance, could Mickey have taken any keyblade from the RoD in order to seal the DtD, or did he need one that is specifically the opposite of Sora's keyblade? If the latter, then it would make sense why he said "the" key.

Well, at that point, there were only two realms: The Light and The Dark. I always thought that Sora's Keyblade was the only one within the Light Realm, and the Dark Realm had its own Keyblade: Kingdom Key D, which Mickey got. So in terms of where the game took place, there was only one Keyblade.

I also love that for no reason other to keep consistent with the release of games (and not chronologically consistent), they had Mickey in Re:Coded use the Starseeker as opposed to the Kingdom Key D. I can understand where they're going from in terms of games released: BBS was last, and he used it then, so this game do it too. But chronologically, he pretty much stopped using the Starseeker when he got the Kingdom Key D, so why suddenly use it then? What happened to the KKD? Urrghhh.

Awards
Well, at that point, there were only two realms: The Light and The Dark. I always thought that Sora's Keyblade was the only one within the Light Realm, and the Dark Realm had its own Keyblade: Kingdom Key D, which Mickey got. So in terms of where the game took place, there was only one Keyblade.

Even if it was presented as that (which it was, I agree with you), the retcon still fits.
We knew back with KH1 that there were at least two keyblades, yet many characters still referred to Sora's keyblade as "the" keyblade. Even in KH2, with Sora having two keyblades and Riku having two keyblades, it was still sometimes designated as "the" keyblade, eg, "The keyblade- a truly marvelous weapon."

Using the article "the" doesn't necessarily imply singularity even when the noun itself is singular. For example, if we were to adjust Xemnas' statement:
"The car is a marvel of engineering."

Yet we know that there is obviously more than one car in existence. Saying "the car" refers to cars as a concept and it denotes a kind of... reverence, I guess you could say.

I also love that for no reason other to keep consistent with the release of games (and not chronologically consistent), they had Mickey in Re:Coded use the Starseeker as opposed to the Kingdom Key D. I can understand where they're going from in terms of games released: BBS was last, and he used it then, so this game do it too. But chronologically, he pretty much stopped using the Starseeker when he got the Kingdom Key D, so why suddenly use it then? What happened to the KKD? Urrghhh.

I had figured that he kept the KKD so that he would be able to seal (or open) the DtD with Sora again if need be (as I mentioned earlier, I don't think any keyblade from the RoL and any keyblade from the RoD can do that, it needs to be a matching pair). After KH2, he could have thought that there was no longer a threat so using the KKD was unnecessary (but Yen Sid told him about the revived MX, so it remains to be seen what keyblade he will be using in the future).

Of course, that's just my conjecture. We may get info on this in BbSv2 (especially since Mickey will be in the dark realm at some point in that game) and/or KH3D.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Using the article "the" doesn't necessarily imply singularity even when the noun itself is singular. For example, if we were to adjust Xemnas' statement:
"The car is a marvel of engineering."

Yet we know that there is obviously more than one car in existence. Saying "the car" refers to cars as a concept and it denotes a kind of... reverence, I guess you could say.

I totally agree, but the way they were using "the" definitely made it sound like only one Keyblade. My guess would be they continued to use "the" to smooth out the transition of "there was only one Keyblade" to "There are now many Keyblades."

Example, to paraphrase Leon: "They'll come after you, in great numbers, as long as you continue to wield the Keyblade. The Heartless have great fear of the Keyblade (side note: is fear an emotion? If so, then there's a big ol' contradiction, the Heartless have no emotions), they'll come after you relentlessly."

The word "the" could easily be replaced with "a" (and on the second mention, remove "the" and make "Keyblade" plural) and convey the same meaning. Saying "a car is a marvel of engineering" still makes sense, but it's a sentence that sounds a tad funny and may ruin flow of a reading/conversation, so "the" fits better. Though by this point we're in agreement and are pretty much debating the use of grammar in the games to decipher how or if they are covering up their decision to make more than one Keyblade late in the series.

Another side note, I'm in that camp (if said camp exists) that BBSv2 will not be a game, and instead the name holds significance for 3D or III, or another form of media.

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
How do you know the star seeker doesn't have an ability that gives it an attack/magic boost when at Disney Castle?
/sarcastic, it will likely be revealed later if its important type post

My major problem that I'm not sure has been specifically adresses in this thread is how Mickey knew the keyblade was going to reveal itself at the exact time that it did, and how he knew it's wielder would end up in Traverse Town, ready to be run into by Donald and Goofy.
Okay, so the 'stars' were going out. Therefore at some point in the past someone must have been blessed with the ability to wield a keyblade, which would only reveal itself in this time of crisis yet and also they would be transported to Traverse Town? Hmmmmm, I'm willing to put up with a lot of things but this is one that I've never really been happy with...

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
was it on purpose that mickey never met terra face to face

Rexy

Bronze Member
How do you know the star seeker doesn't have an ability that gives it an attack/magic boost when at Disney Castle?
/sarcastic, it will likely be revealed later if its important type post

My major problem that I'm not sure has been specifically adresses in this thread is how Mickey knew the keyblade was going to reveal itself at the exact time that it did, and how he knew it's wielder would end up in Traverse Town, ready to be run into by Donald and Goofy.
Okay, so the 'stars' were going out. Therefore at some point in the past someone must have been blessed with the ability to wield a keyblade, which would only reveal itself in this time of crisis yet and also they would be transported to Traverse Town? Hmmmmm, I'm willing to put up with a lot of things but this is one that I've never really been happy with...

probably it was yen sid to tell mickey about sora and traverse town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back