• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Please, No Music Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Hiya folks.

This thread is going to be a little different. Spelunking through the first page of this section of KHI, there has been this noticeable trend of threads that, for the most part, pertain to more recent bands. Being as it may, I primarily listen to a lot more older bands and I'm certain most of you do also. Regrettably, there has been no place to talk about them!

The intention isn't just old music, however. This will give you an enormous freedom in what to write, since it can be any album (or song). The purpose of this thread: take a particular album (or song) that has affected you in some profound way or impacted you, or simply a favorite. Then, write about it. The only condition is to please please include an insight or something of importance. Try to convey to the reader why you think this album (or song) is important or why it's great, rather than just mentioning something in passing. Consider: "Why do I like this?" "What's the aim of this song/album?" "How does it relate to/fit in with the rest of their work?"

"I like this one cause it sounds cool" and other posts with low content are thoughtless garbage. This is not a list thread.

“Music is the most powerful medium in the world because of the frequencies. You’re hitting places in people that remind them that they’re more than just this functional being that makes money, eats and shits and cums.”
-Tori Amos

..... so it'd be nice if we could all believe that and make some cool posts!!!

Here we go:

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

351uadf.jpg

What's Going On - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is where I started with Marvin Gaye. Prior to this album, I never really took Soul (or Marvin Gaye) seriously. The more I listened to this, it has slowly become clear to me what the Soul genre is really all about. Perhaps the rest of the world realized, too. For the most part, Marvin Gaye did a bunch of duet albums with assorted female singers, and his other solo albums were under other producers and while they had his expertise and trademark sound and vocal range, were basically pulp, pop albums. This was also what all of Motown was releasing at the time anyway. "What's Going On" was his first self-produced album, and his most socially conscious. It's rather odd when an album that has so much melancholy can inspirit just the opposite. At least in this listener; it's one of my favorite albums.

Much of the inspiration was drawn from a different direction that Gaye wanted to take with his music. Gaye said that he had received letters from his brother in Vietnam during the war, also playing a major role. Meanwhile at home, there was a shitload of social unrest and I can assume that he felt in a vicegrip; personally I'm in my own vicegrip, but that's another story. That's where the start of the album's concept came from, as a Vietnam soldier returning from war. It's never explicit, though, and you could probably never tell otherwise. Regardless, the whole achieves what most albums do not: getting people to simply consider where we need to improve ourselves and our relations. To take a look around. Why are things this way.

The lyrics in the title song "Mother mother / there's too many of you crying / brother brother brother / there's far too many of you dying" will always always be relevant. Every song is socially important. It's insane. I'm not even religious, and I will sing "God Is Love" in idle and not even know it, that's what Soul does.

Aurally, and forgive me for the mostly vague terminology since admittedly I lack a technical knowledge of music, it's his most "flighty" album. Like I said earlier, it is mostly melancholic. A cry for help; so it's meant to reflect worry, but at the same time there are acoustics, croons, and wails in the background that reflect a static goodness, a hope. Most of this is exclaimed in what I think is the most powerful song on the album, "Save The Children": "I just wanna ask the question / who really cares / to save a world in despair / who really cares....."

Even though the title of the album is born from a desperate confusion, nothing in the album seems without posture or uncertainty.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
i like the beatles.

but you know what?

RINGO NEVER GETS ANY FUCKING CREDIT. PAUL GETS FUCKING AWARD SHOWS, AND WHAT DOES RINGO GET? NOTHING!

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
Assuming this thread was created with even the smallest inkling of seriousness in mind...

"A Night at the Opera" - Queen
Queen_A_Night_At_The_Opera.png

A Night at the Opera (Queen album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't like this album because it's considered Queen's "magnum opus;" I like it because it's one of the first albums that I had ever heard that took music and gave it a theatrical spin. When I first heard this album, I was skeptical about harmonies; I thought bands should only have one singer and background singers would twist the seriousness of the music. When I heard the first song on the album, Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To...), I was shocked at how well the harmonies complemented the music. As I progressed through the album, I literally got the sensation that I was sitting in an opera hall and watching the album being played out in front of me. Then I hit Bohemian Rhapsody. Okay, wow. This song has become glorified to an insane extent, but for good reason. The opera takes a serious turn after Brian May's solo into one of the greatest breakdowns ever recorded. This is where the harmonies shine.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
thought I made it clear that it was kind of stern. also thought that people here take music as more than something to bother your ears with but whatevs guess we're all dilettante as frick

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
While I've had a fairly long and involved relationship with music that ranges from my slightly fabulous younger years where my mother forced Britney Spears down my throat until I began to like acts such as Avril Lavigne and Michelle Branch, I think that one of the most profound changes that have occurred in my life that not only changed how I view music but also how I view what is possible, important, or noteworthy happened within the last year or so, and is the product of a few bands. I'll keep this to a minimum, but please, bear with me.

This 'transformation', if you will, started when I began listening to Circa Survive. I know, I know, everyone loves Anthony Green, it's so stereotypical, blah blah blah. But really, what most connected with me were the lyrics and the way that they were sung. Lines such as 'I cannot sleep without the radio on' and 'Don't stop talking to me, I haven't been listening' might seem to be just little bits of wordplay thrown into an overall mix, but they spoke to me. I connected with those lines in a way I hadn't connected with music before. They were a step towards me connecting to music instead of simply enjoying it.

From Circa Survive I made what may seem like an illogical--or at least random--leap over to Dance Gavin Dance. Two songs specifically stood out and not only kept my growing connection to music on track, but also made my appreciate a completely different genre (genres, really) and understand that sometimes the meaning to a song is made with lyrics that may seem non-sensical to most people, but that at least a few individuals could really appreciate and feel. Lyrics-wise, It's Safe to Say You Dig the Backseat opened the doors to what I originally thought didn't make any sense until I listened over and over (and over, and over...) and eventually I felt as though I could pinpoint what point in my life that song was referring to.

More important than that song, however, was 'Open Your Eyes and Look North'. I cannot even begin to delve into this song to a full extent, but some of the things that stood out to me the most include:

The way that two voices can contrast, complement, and even complete each other is amazing and utterly fascinating; guitars are meant to do more than just 'scream' over a track or follow the singer blindly, they can be fun, intricate, and add a whole new layer of meaning or feeling to a song; screaming is an art form, and not something that should be taken lightly; and, finally, the line(s?) 'Message to the bird, I know your wings will be fine'.

To make it clear how much that line means to me, I will divulge that I plan on having that lyric (and a bird) tattooed onto my body somewhere. This isn't because I think that the band will last forever, or that I want to profess my undying love for them; this is because this line is my way of owning up to what may seem like an unimportant period of time to other people, but has proven to be something that shaped the way that I am today. A long story short is that when I moved to my new school I was still a bit... disproportionate. Which is my way of saying that I had a rather large nose. High school kids being what they are, some of the older children began calling me 'birdman' whenever they saw me.

At first I laughed, but then when I literally couldn't escape it (I couldn't even walk around my hometown without hearing this called out to me) I snapped, and I haven't been as outgoing or trusting since. As I said, it's just a name, and rationally I know that; anyone that's had to endure such hounding and not feeling any respite even while you're walking home or getting groceries, in a place that you just moved to, knows that it isn't easy. The tattoo, and the line, are my way of owning that pain that I had felt; of accepting it, marking it down, and going with what Jon Mess says: my wing will be fine.

---

~So if anyone asks why I listen to so much music, or why I take it so personally, y'all know why. Sorry if it's tl;dr but I figure this thread could use another post.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
i always thought disco was kind of awful, with only the bee gees "anthems" being the only thing noteworthy about the genre. it wasn't until i picked up bee gees' "main course" album that i realized they were much more than 70s dance hall wonders. they weren't just catchy, they were funky.

anyone not musically retarded can spot the funk influence on their work, but they have so much more range than that, and just one album taught me this.

so yeah, my advice to you is to go to any given flea market, pawn shop, used bookstore or whatever and dig around. you might find some treasure buried under the stryper lps

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
this is a good thread and i am reviving it okay

JCcmK.jpg

this is the second m83 album i ever listened to, after saturdays=youth in late 2009. it was really one of the bigger discoveries i made in terms of electronica; it includes one of the only tracks that's ever made me cry (gone, track 11, the second to last before the huge encompassing finale that is beauties can die). ive always kind of liked the sound of droning synthesizers, and m83 catered to that, because with m83, drone is like the base of the music to which he can put beats and melodies over, and its the neatest way to keep chord progressions running that i've found. "unrecorded" is one of my favorite tracks because of the amount of dissonance he allows; you almost never find dissonance that isn't easily resolved in traditional mainstream music.

there aren't lyrics in this album, and if there are, they're short, vague and repeated phrases ("give me peace and chemicals/i want to run into") or really an indistinguishable part of the scenery, if you will. i guess what really interests me about electronic music is the ability of musicians to take static sounds from artificial sources (rather than organic, say, a violinist pulling a bow across a string) and create the same kinds of emotions that we can find in those organic places. he never ceases to amaze me with how he can take a single melody and make it sound like a thousand different emotions. its perfect in the way that you always know what kind of tone to expect from synthesized sound, but m83 texturizes each measure and tugs at that expectation while he drags you along in his music.

its the kind of thing you can listen to that can make you feel surreal and dreamlike but a little creeped out sometimes. but that's so cool to me. most really good art creeps me out because it is so unbridled to the dark places of our minds. i think what gonzales was trying to do with this album was express complete desolation and an almost 80s science-fictiony plot type of apocalypse where what destroys us is the unstoppable appetite for progress and technology. or maybe that's my imagination + the cover art + sounds getting to me, but its what makes the most sense. the most accurate adjective i can use to describe most of these tracks is driving; there's a constant moving forward faster and faster until there's an explosion of multiple melodies crashing together. it's representative of life. the best example of that is probably in "run into flowers" (debatable, but...it's the best track on the whole album lol)

anyway, i really feel like m83 created a heartbeat out of repetition and dynamics that mimics a voice that never runs out of breath. and that's kind of my dream is to be able to keep a melody continuing forever and ever, beyond where the human limits can take it. because our spirits can hold that kind of ambition.

edit: i might post some more when i think of other really great albums...but for now im done

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back