• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Playable Characters in KH3 (Most Likely IMO)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do you think I'm correct?

• Possibly

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick-flame

Website
fission-firaga.tumblr.com
Hi KH fans! This is my first post in this section. I have seen other post about this topic, but the most likely options weren't discussed very much IMO. I strongly believe Sora will be the only protagonist of KH3, but when I say that I don't think it's unlikely that another character is possible... I think Young Master Xehanort's character (YMX) will be explored in an introduction/tutorial, as Roxas was in KH2. Square Enix has made it very clear that KH3's story belongs to Sora, so I don't believe they will pull a BBS or DDD on us with switching characters. I think Square also intends for there to be a pity party for MX, so at the end we feel (at least a little bit) sad for him. I think it's also possible to see YMX's story through the eyes of Young Eraqus. My reasoning for both of these characters is the chess cutscene we saw at E3. Let me know how you feel and what your theories are! Many have said Kairi or Lea, but I think Square wants to add more to MX's story/past and the best way to do that is by experiencing it ourselves.
Sincerely, Fox (Maverick-flame)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'm hoping that there will be something once the main campaign is completed, like Reverse/Rebirth. Maybe Kairi will finally get a shot at being a playable character.

WastedPenguin

Awards
If there will be more playable characters than Sora, it will most likely be Riku, Kairi and maybe king Mickey and if they will be playable it will probably be only at the OC tournaments (which will most likely return in KH3) or for a short time in a story related part. I dont think that Lea will be playable in KH3 because he is not as important as Sora, Riku and Kairi are but it could of course happen if Nomura wants to please all the Axel/Lea fans out there.
It could also happen that we get a introduction where we play as YMX/MX or as Young Eraqus to meet their Masters and till now never appeared in any other KH title.
In the end it depends on how big KH3 will be and it should be totally clear that KH3 as a main entry in the series will not be like a spin-off a la BBS or DDD.

Last edited:

Emperor

To be honest, I've seen just as many people theorize about Young Xehanort being in the tutorial phase as I've seen Kairi and Lea - the discussions weren't ever completely one-sided in their favor. I also wouldn’t say KH3 would aim to for us to feel sad for Xehanort, but more or less sympathetic. Xehanort’s goal isn’t malevolent at its core, its just the way he's going about it.

If they did add other characters it would probably be for online modes or something. I agree in the sense that I don't see KH3 happening like BBS and DDD.

Forsaken Shadow

For me, any tutorial character besides YMX just wouldn't cut it. I personally have zero interest in Kairi, and they can develop her character in others ways- but this game is supposed to be all about Master Xehanort and it would only be fitting to start the game with a little insight into his past.

Maverick-flame

Website
fission-firaga.tumblr.com
Yes yes yes! I'm glad all of you agree! I agree with @emperor that sympathy is more what SE would be going for if YMX was a introductory protagonist. WastedPenguin is also correct IMO that if KH3 wants to define itself they should stick with Sora!
Thanks, Fox

SephirothZ

I dont want a setup like BBS or CoM to be honest, but I wouldnt mind switching to Mickey/Riku or even Kairi for a short time in the game. I think at least one of those will happen. Nomura touched the surface in Kh2 with Riku and people liked it. I think he will give us more in KH3.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The only characters I could see being a prologue/tutorial for KH3 are young Xehanort, young Eraqus, Kairi, or maybe a foreteller (hard to say since we don't know anything about their role in KH3 for now). I really doubt they'd use Axel/Lea for that. Teeny tiny possibility of Aqua?

As far as other playable characters, I expect Riku could have a world-length episode for himself. Besides that, the most I can see is possibly playing as Lea/Kairi/Aqua/Terra/Ventus in one battle each with one of the Xehanorts. I don't think there'll be a Reverse Rebirth-type scenario.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The less time and resource they put into making more playable characters, the better Sora will be.

disney233

Awards
Here's what I think.

Young Xenanort will be a playable character in the tutorial with Young Eraqus as his ally

Then it'll be Sora with Donald and Goofy ad his allies as always.

Then, depending on the story, just like in Dream Drop Distance, you can switch in game between Riku with Mickey as his ally, or it'll be switched to Kairi with Lea as her ally.

h.e.hassanein

how are we even sure there's going to be a roxas-style introduction in KH III anyways? i do think if the game will ever focus on any character besides Sora it'll be MX, but Nomura does like to shake things up for each game so i think the intro sequence of the game might not see a playable MX at all

there's already so much for SDG, TAV, Riku, Lea and Kairi to do to ready themselves for the big battle as well, I don't think we'll have time for such an in-depth look into MX's past
l
like a lot of people here said, i also doubt the reverse/rebirth ( :'( ) or the drop sequences will be a thing in KH III, since the numbered entries have their own straight rules. the side games are where enix get to play around.

why can't we have two-disc games like ff? :'(

hlc1988

Awards
The tutorial will be with Sora.

I think the cutscene we have seen is just the opening scene for KH3 and then we flash forward to Sora's time.

I would imagine that at some point in the game, Riku will be playable at least.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
how are we even sure there's going to be a roxas-style introduction in KH III anyways? i do think if the game will ever focus on any character besides Sora it'll be MX, but Nomura does like to shake things up for each game so i think the intro sequence of the game might not see a playable MX at all

there's already so much for SDG, TAV, Riku, Lea and Kairi to do to ready themselves for the big battle as well, I don't think we'll have time for such an in-depth look into MX's past
l
like a lot of people here said, i also doubt the reverse/rebirth ( :'( ) or the drop sequences will be a thing in KH III, since the numbered entries have their own straight rules. the side games are where enix get to play around.

why can't we have two-disc games like ff? :'(

Well, like you said, Nomura likes to "shake things up for each game." Who's to say that the roman-numeraled titles have rules that are etched in stone? Those "straight rules" could get broken if the guys in charge felt like it was necessary.

h.e.hassanein

Well, like you said, Nomura likes to "shake things up for each game." Who's to say that the roman-numeraled titles have rules that are etched in stone? Those "straight rules" could get broken if the guys in charge felt like it was necessary.

hmmm.....first off of course there's no way of telling how they're going to make the game. however, the roman numeraled titles do get shaken up but only to a certain degree because of the restrictions on them (more people play them, therefore the games have to somewhat cater to the more casual KH fans)

i mean, remember how pissed off some people were that KH IIs intro stars this whole new character? but then again, having MX start off the game would give the casual fans a better chance of knowing who he even is, since i doubt everyone will have bought 1.5&2.5 to catch up on the console games.....

idk idk, we're both agreed in that we'll only know how KH III will start when we finally get the game

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also, what do you mean the numbered titles have straight out rules? Kingdom Hearts II had four playable characters.

h.e.hassanein

Also, what do you mean the numbered titles have straight out rules? Kingdom Hearts II had four playable characters.

actually it only had two, considering that Goofy and Donald aren't characters you actually play as. and then Roxas was only playable in the introductory sequence.

what I mean is that while the non-numbered games get to change things up, the numbered titles are much more traditional. think of the reverse/rebirth and card fighting in re:COM, being able to play the game as three different characters and the use of the command deck in BBS, the drop function in DDD, and so on. you don't get things like that in the numbered titles because the numbered titles are less experimental.

the numbered titles have roughly the same on-screen command menu (they change from title to title, like how KH II has the extra menu with limits etc.), you follow SDG throughout the game, you travel from world to world using the gummi ship (though the gummi sequence of KH I is vastly different from that of KH II), etc. small things change from game to game, but overall there are main traits the numbered titles stick to.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
actually it only had two, considering that Goofy and Donald aren't characters you actually play as. and then Roxas was only playable in the introductory sequence.

Riku and Mickey were playable if the circumstances were met.

h.e.hassanein

Riku and Mickey were playable if the circumstances were met.

ah, i thought Tinny couldn't have meant Donald and Goofy.

since we don't really play as Riku or Mickey outside of battles, i wouldn't necessarily categorize them as main playable characters, but all the same my bad there :)

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
Seeing as only KHI, and depending on your perspective Coded*, has had only one playable character, I cannot see KHIII only having Sora. Yes I believe he will be the main focus of KHIII, but I expect something like in KHII where, even if we don't get a Roxas styledtutorial section, we could get to control someone else in battle if the right criterias are met. eg. Mickey and Riku.

*In Hollow Bastion part I you command Donald and Goofy to do certain tasks when Sora is missing his Keyblade. Does that count as playable?

h.e.hassanein

Seeing as only KHI, and depending on your perspective Coded*, has had only one playable character, I cannot see KHIII only having Sora. Yes I believe he will be the main focus of KHIII, but I expect something like in KHII where, even if we don't get a Roxas styledtutorial section, we could get to control someone else in battle if the right criterias are met. eg. Mickey and Riku.

*In Hollow Bastion part I you command Donald and Goofy to do certain tasks when Sora is missing his Keyblade. Does that count as playable?

okay i think i should restate what i originally meant
1) in the numbered titles, the main playable character is always sora
2) in the numbered titles, we are sometimes able to play as other characters for limited amounts of time (like Roxas in KH II's intro)
3) the above point does not mean we're definitely going to play as anyone other than Sora in KH III
4) it also doesn't mean we're definitely not playing as anyone other than Sora in KH III

all i wanted to say is that MX, riku, mickey, aqua- i'd love to play as them in KH III, but i personally doubt we will

to answer your question: (again just personally) i don't consider that that makes donald and goofy playable characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back