• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Plagiarism or Not?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you think?

• Yes, that would be considered plagiarism.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, that would not be considered plagiarism.

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyii

So, recently I've been perusing through various discussions regarding Cassandra Clare/Claire, a Big Name Fan responsible for the Draco Trilogy, and now her own published novels, the Mortal Instruments series. Now, admittedly, I have not read the Draco Trilogy. However, during my search, I found that Ms. Clare had been accused of plagiarism for not citing excerpts taken from Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy. There were also several incidents of citing excerpts explicitly taken from various TV shows and other books. Whether the sources that were cited can be taken as plagiarism is up for debate. However, that brings me to an interesting point.

Kingdom Hearts revolves around previously established Disney movies, obviously. But does that mean that by directly quoting character dialogue from, say, The Emperor's New Groove for Kuzco inside of Kuzco's world is plagiarism? Quoting from the source is about as "strictly canon" as one can get, but one is still lifting the dialogue directly from the source. And while I can place a disclaimer saying that all Disney and Square Enix characters are copyright their respective owners, does that cover dialogue and scenarios as well?

What do the rest of you think? Any thoughts?

EDIT: This is in regards to fanfiction.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I don't know about the Draco Trilogy or any of the author's work; but when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, it is in no way plagiarism. Disney allowed Square-Enix to use their characters, worlds, etc. for the game. It was a completely consensual agreement between the companies, and the Copyright at the beginning is more akin to simply citing the source.

αsiя

space coke
So, recently I've been perusing through various discussions regarding Cassandra Clare/Claire, a Big Name Fan responsible for the Draco Trilogy, and now her own published novels, the Mortal Instruments series. Now, admittedly, I have not read the Draco Trilogy. However, during my search, I found that Ms. Clare had been accused of plagiarism for not citing excerpts taken from Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy. There were also several incidents of citing excerpts explicitly taken from various TV shows and other books. Whether the sources that were cited can be taken as plagiarism is up for debate. However, that brings me to an interesting point.

Kingdom Hearts revolves around previously established Disney movies, obviously. But does that mean that by directly quoting character dialogue from, say, The Emperor's New Groove for Kuzco inside of Kuzco's world is plagiarism? Quoting from the source is about as "strictly canon" as one can get, but one is still lifting the dialogue directly from the source. And while I can place a disclaimer saying that all Disney and Square Enix characters are copyright their respective owners, does that cover dialogue and scenarios as well?

What do the rest of you think? Any thoughts?

Disney owns Kingdom Hearts.

/thread

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com
It's like what was said before: Disney gave their permission to have use the Disney worlds/movies/characters/etc. Hell, they own part of the game. xD So no, it's not plagiarism.

Allister Rose

French Lover
ok i'm starting to see alot of this not for kh, but for other series forums. someone comes up and claims its plagiarism....i'm starting to see a chain

whiskeyii

I'm sorry, let me clarify: Is it plagiarism for a fanfic to contain lifted dialogue or scenes from Disney movies? This was originally posted in the Creative Writing section, under the assumption that in that section, this question was intended for fanfictions.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Why does it amtter for fanfic to be plagiarism? some even use the same situation on purpose because it's fanfic

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
Disney has given Square permission...and you know when you start up the games it says stuff like "All rights to the Disney characters are copyrighted by the Disney corporation"...and blah blah blah...basically its saying that they have permission from Disney, and are showing that they get it from Disney.

Plagiarism is when you take someone else's ideas and say that they are your own...you are not crediting the person for their work, and you are passing it off as your own.

No way in hell is KH plagiarizing Disney in any way shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back