• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► Pixar's Monsters At Work - A TV Sequel to Kingdom Hearts 3 featuring Gary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Premiering July 7th 2021 with a double episode, and then a new episode every Wednesday.

• John Goodman as James P. "Sulley" Sullivan
  • Billy Crystal as Mike Wazowski
  • Ben Feldman as Tylor Tuskmon
  • John Ratzenberger as Yeti / Bernard Tuskmon
  • Aisha Tyler as Millie Tuskmon
  • Jennifer Tilly as Celia Mae
  • Bob Peterson as Roz / Roze
  • Mindy Kaling as Val Little
  • Henry Winkler as Fritz
  • Lucas Neff as Duncan
  • Alanna Ubach as Cutter
  • Stephen Stanton as Smitty and Needleman
  • Bonnie Hunt as Ms. Flint
  • Bobs Gannaway as Otis
  • Gabriel Iglesias as Gary Gibbs​
pZpGbOj.png

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
When I saw the title I almost thought they were actually going to reference KH3, lol.

Anyway I hope we get to see an older Boo at some point

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I just don’t understand why Gary looks exactly like Mike. In a world where monsters all usually look different regardless of the species or whatever, I just don’t get how there could be a doppelgänger of Mike who is his greatest rival…

Where did he come from? How does this fit in with Monsters University?

Pixar, I need explanations!

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I just don’t understand why Gary looks exactly like Mike. In a world where monsters all usually look different regardless of the species or whatever, I just don’t get how there could be a doppelgänger of Mike who is his greatest rival…

We’re likely going to be getting explanations for Gary once the show comes out. For now I’m guessing he’s a distant relative, since monsters can have families in this world. As for Monsters University, personally I treat it as non-canon for one simple reason: its premise, while not a bad one, is damaged by a single line in the original movie:
Mike Wazowski said:
“Ha ha ha, you’ve been jealous of me since the fourth grade, pal.”
If MU started with Mike and Sulley meeting as kids and having a friendly rivalry over the years, then the premise would work fine. But because the movie has them first meeting in college, how could Mike make that claim if they never met in 4th grade?

When I saw the title I almost thought they were actually going to reference KH3, lol.

Anyway I hope we get to see an older Boo at some point
As much as I like that idea, I don’t think we’re going to be seeing Boo for a while. This series looks to be set as a midquel of sorts between the events of sending Boo home and setting up Monsters Inc as we see it at the end of the movie, much like how Tarzan 2 was a movie set within the years of the first movie’s timeskip.

palizinhas

Awards
I think Gary looking just like Mike is just a joke. Mike hating the guy and considering him his nemesis and all the others characters are like "but they look almost exactly alike" while Mike says he doesn't see it.

A lot of people are saying it's laziness but it's probably just meant to be funny. Even if it makes no sense.

I'm not sure I'm watching this show. It has an interesting premise, but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I think Gary looking just like Mike is just a joke. Mike hating the guy and considering him his nemesis and all the others characters are like "but they look almost exactly alike" while Mike says he doesn't see it.

A lot of people are saying it's laziness but it's probably just meant to be funny. Even if it makes no sense.

I'm not sure I'm watching this show. It has an interesting premise, but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.
What would sell that Gary joke more is if Gary’s face is shown in in-show media while Mike’s is still obscured 😂

WaltK

Awards
We’re likely going to be getting explanations for Gary once the show comes out. For now I’m guessing he’s a distant relative, since monsters can have families in this world. As for Monsters University, personally I treat it as non-canon for one simple reason: its premise, while not a bad one, is damaged by a single line in the original movie:
If MU started with Mike and Sulley meeting as kids and having a friendly rivalry over the years, then the premise would work fine. But because the movie has them first meeting in college, how could Mike make that claim if they never met in 4th grade?

Ignoring for a moment that dismissing a clearly earnest prequel as non-canonical based on a single throwaway line is a bit silly, this is actually a deliberate retcon on the filmmaker’s part; there’s a deleted alternate opening where Mike and Sully’s rivalry is shown beginning in elementary school, but they changed it for reasons I can’t remember. And they address the line when explaining why they scrapped it, showing that it wasn’t an oversight.

You can find the scene on the Disney+ special features if you want to see it for yourself.

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Ignoring for a moment that dismissing a clearly earnest prequel as non-canonical based on a single throwaway line is a bit silly, this is actually a deliberate retcon on the filmmaker’s part; there’s a deleted alternate opening where Mike and Sully’s rivalry is shown beginning in elementary school, but they changed it for reasons I can’t remember. And they address the line when explaining why they scrapped it, showing that it wasn’t an oversight.

You can find the scene on the Disney+ special features if you want to see it for yourself.
Okay you’re right, it is a stupid reason to consider it non-canon.

But I still think there could’ve been a way to show they had some history. It didn’t even have to be a flashback, or be like that deleted scene. That one came across like they hated each other from the start. I can see why they cut it though. I just think there could’ve been a middle ground. But I guess that’s all part of the process of filmmaking, lots of cool ideas but not a lot see the light of day.

WaltK

Awards
KH3 clearly wasn’t on the creators’ radar when making this, as the first two episodes blatantly contradict the timeframe that KH3 establishes.

Anyway, the first two episodes were alright. I’m glad they’re actually showing the monster world’s transition from scream to laughter instead of just picking up where the movie’s epilogue left off.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
KH3 clearly wasn’t on the creators’ radar when making this, as the first two episodes blatantly contradict the timeframe that KH3 establishes.
I had the exact same thoughts during the two episodes; I was like "wait Pixar was so adamant about KH3 fitting in with the Toy Story canon..." but Monsters at Work fit in with its on continuity compared to KH3. Especially with what a higher up said about Boo appearing in the series, if KH3 was to slot in anywhere it's like... alright Tylor turned up for his first day, that night Randall broke in while Sulley was visiting Boo, which doesn't quite work 😂

WaltK

Awards
if KH3 was to slot in anywhere it's like... alright Tylor turned up for his first day, that night Randall broke in while Sulley was visiting Boo, which doesn't quite work 😂
And even then it still wouldn’t work because KH3 can only be set after Sully and Boo’s reunion at the end of the movie. And MaW is clearly meant to be set during the timeskip between Waternoose’s arrest and the final scene where the company has completed their transition to the new energy source.

Soldier

Awards

Clearly this is a job for a biologist!

Assuming the monster world has specific monster types (mono eyed oni-like such as Mike Wazowski and his mother, for example) it can be reasonably assumed that there are specific monsters that happen to bear close enough resemblance to each other to bear similar looking offspring. As such, it can be reasonably assumed that there are male and female variants of a specific body somewhere in their world. Now does that necessarily mean everyone has someone that looks exactly like them?

Non necessario, but it doesn't seem impossible either. Monsters of different body types can have relationships with each other just fine like Celia and Mike, who only share the single eye trait. Given the context of the film, that relationship doesn't seem to be frowned upon either so race (at least in terms of appearance) is not an issue, unless you count MU's "scary and not scary" stigma as racism. MU also has Don Carlton date Squishy's mother at the end and hardly anyone bats an eye (or eyes) at it.

Thus it can be reasonably assumed that Gary's appearance to Mike is merely a matter of that specific combination of features (tiny horns, short stature, single eye) being a particularly common trait in that world and that encountering someone with those features is not uncommon, but rare for them to be directly related. In the real world it's entirely possible for you to have someone that looks exactly like you, but not share anything close to your specific DNA. It's also worth noting that in some folklore in German and English countries, meeting your doppelganger is an omen of death.

Also, When you play Mike Wazowski but have to choose the second skin.

AegisXIII

Awards
I wasn't expecting anything, but I like this show so much. They are dealing with an interesting theme with this hard reality check of the workplace after university.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Barrett

Awards
I hope that one day, Mike realizes that he has another hand he can hold with and that both Sulley and Celia are okay with it. 👀

Back