• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Pixar`s Coco-2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Coco follows a 12-year-old boy named Miguel who sets off a chain of events relating to a century-old mystery, leading to an extraordinary family reunion.
Despite his family's generation-old ban on music, Miguel (Anthony Gonzalez) dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt). Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the Land of the Dead. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Hector (Gael García Bernal) and together they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history

Teaser just came out

[video=youtube;zNCz4mQzfEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCz4mQzfEI[/video]

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Hmm, this looks wildly different from any of the previous Disney Pixar movies we've seen so far. As a musician, this warms my heart to watch, and that kid is really good at ear training! I hope we get a little more of this soon, is there a good reason as to why his family doesn't accept music?

Come to think of it, has Pixar ever really done a latin-themed movie? This might be a first for the company in general.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Hmm, this looks wildly different from any of the previous Disney Pixar movies we've seen so far. As a musician, this warms my heart to watch, and that kid is really good at ear training! I hope we get a little more of this soon, is there a good reason as to why his family doesn't accept music?

Come to think of it, has Pixar ever really done a latin-themed movie? This might be a first for the company in general.
I think this may be the first one. I can't think of any other Hispanic themed Disney films off the top of my head.

Sdog

Awards
I think this may be the first one. I can't think of any other Hispanic themed Disney films off the top of my head.

I was having this exact conversation with a friend the other day and boom this happens.

It's cool but from what I'm hearing (reading the comments) it apparently is way too similar to a flick called 'The Book of Life'? Never seen it

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Trailer seems OK but as always I'm paranoid about Disney doing culture flicks. This particular celebration does not need any more twisting or appropriation so I would hope Disney treads carefully.
That aside it sure would be nice to get one animated film about Chican@ folk that isn't centered around Dia de Muertos. Maybe someday general audiences will realize the culture is just as vibrant and relevant the other 363 days of the year.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
@SoulXaldin; Same, I need more practice with my guitar lol. Also I have to agree with Grono, since I'm a musician as well, seeing this makes me happy. I do hope this movie does well, cause this trailer really catches my attention.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I said earlier there weren't any disney films focused on Mexican culture but I just remembered Three Caballeros. Though that came out in 1944 so you could say this is the first recent one.

I was having this exact conversation with a friend the other day and boom this happens.

It's cool but from what I'm hearing (reading the comments) it apparently is way too similar to a flick called 'The Book of Life'? Never seen it
The book of life was another hispanic themed film that centered on The Day of the Dead, though I haven't seen it

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Trailer seems OK but as always I'm paranoid about Disney doing culture flicks. This particular celebration does not need any more twisting or appropriation so I would hope Disney treads carefully.
That aside it sure would be nice to get one animated film about Chican@ folk that isn't centered around Dia de Muertos. Maybe someday general audiences will realize the culture is just as vibrant and relevant the other 363 days of the year.

It didn't seem exacerbated, but I do agree, and hope I won't be disappointed by an overdose of appropriation in the actual film. Sometimes I worry Disney doesn't believe it's okay to JUST craft a complete fantasy about non-caucasian characters and without highlighting some ubiquitous element of the native's culture. It's not wrong to include it, but sometimes it can feel force-fed and trite.

That being said, I really do like the look of this film, and I'm excited to see it.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It didn't seem exacerbated, but I do agree, and hope I won't be disappointed by an overdose of appropriation in the actual film. Sometimes I worry Disney doesn't believe it's okay to JUST craft a complete fantasy about non-caucasian characters and without highlighting some ubiquitous element of the native's culture. It's not wrong to include it, but sometimes it can feel force-fed and trite.
All of us in our lives are influenced by the culture which has surrounded us and which informs our character, values, beliefs, etc. So of course it's not wrong to incorporate it as an element of a greater human story; what concerns me right off the bat with this film is that it seems like an attempt to hone in on a singular, sensational and heavily romanticized outside view of cultural topics which are routinely misrepresented, such that it freezes in place the various dynamics of that culture and the people who belong to it as inevitably exotic and foreign and, as a result, totally vulnerable to exploitation. I can already see the uptick in white chicks donning "sexy Calaveras" for Halloween.

Like, just a few months ago I thought it was super refreshing to see Karla Souza in Everybody Loves Somebody, playing a brilliant and complicated young woman in present-day Los Angeles, full of toxic sarcasm and self-deprecation yet holding down a demanding job as an obstetrician and having a normal life: sleeping with strangers, going to weddings, falling in and out of love throughout a genuinely funny comedy of errors which doubles as a versatile exploration of biculturalism and which is pointedly bilingual FFS and yet...where was the coverage for this film? Who heard about it?

I understand the desire for fantasy, but it so often comes at the expense of stories about what real people experience in their day-to-day and I think that ultimately begs the question as to who movies like Coco are for? Reading Lee Unkrich's comments it's like, yeah, I get it, you're a white dude on a mission and you're "affected deeply" by the material: I just hope he's considered what he's giving back to the communities from which he's drawing inspiration and that he'll use this moment as an opportunity to elevate Latinx voices in Disney and in the film industry at large.

That said, I saw that Renee Victor is playing Miguel's Abuelita (of course she doesn't have a name Mexican grandmas don't have names their birth certificate literally just reads "Abuelita" OK moving on) so I can get behind that. And the cast is 100% Latinx and I'm happy that brown kids are gonna hopefully see a little of themselves in this movie. I just hope it pays its dues to them and their families. Not quite ready to breathe a sigh of relief over stuff as basic as casting the movie appropriately, especially given how Disney has been dragged to this level of awareness kicking and screaming over decades, but yeah.

P.S. Can everyone stop using the term Hispanic to reference this movie please? Thanks.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
[video=youtube;9aoS52EX16g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aoS52EX16g&t=10s[/video]

New trailer

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
[video=youtube;hb8WDATVB6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb8WDATVB6A[/video]

Disney you clever buggers, using Frozen to promote Coco! :wink:

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Super excited for this movie! It brings me back when I built day of the dead altars growing up in Mexico. Day of the dead has deep meaning for me. We would even celebrate mass at the cemetery. Very beautiful way to celebrate those who have left us.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Super excited for this movie! It brings me back when I built day of the dead altars growing up in Mexico. Day of the dead has deep meaning for me. We would even celebrate mass at the cemetery. Very beautiful way to celebrate those who have left us.

Whoa, you're Mexican? who knew? so, what's your take on the whole controversy regarding this movie?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So has anyone seen this movie yet? It's been getting a lot of praise, especially in regards to its treatment of Mexican culture.

ImVentus

Awards
I'll haft to wait till 2018 to see it due to delay at cinema outside of US. But I really want to see it though.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'll just wait for home release like I always do. Going to the theater is just a pain.

Speaking of pain, soooo I heard about Disney slapping on a 21-minute Olaf "short" before the movie proper. Apparently, it was originally intended to be a television special (hence the length) and all I can guess is that they realized barely anyone would willing watch it so they forced it on theatergoers.

Knuxpyro56

My family saw it, and we loved it. We are Mexican, but my family didn't grow up with Day of the Dead, as we were Baptist. But the music, the locations, down to the small things like clothing, items, and even Pinatas, were so accurate that we noticed it.

And the music, OH THE MUSIC!!! My family has music in our blood (heck my two brothers and i played multiple instruments) and hearing the music being played man did it make us cry.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'll just wait for home release like I always do. Going to the theater is just a pain.

Speaking of pain, soooo I heard about Disney slapping on a 21-minute Olaf "short" before the movie proper. Apparently, it was originally intended to be a television special (hence the length) and all I can guess is that they realized barely anyone would willing watch it so they forced it on theatergoers.
;-; Ugh. They say they put that in there to encourage Frozen fans to show up but I'm inclined to go with your theory instead. I had to sit through it and it was just... it was the tipping point. I now hate Frozen with incredibly spiteful passion. Apparently it got so much hate during Coco's Mexican showings that they actually removed it.

Coco itself was amazing and not annoying, painful, or irritating in the slightest. I can't speak for culture bc I'm not Mexican, but it has all the brilliant visuals, voiceacting, and stealthy, overwhelming feels that you can expect from a great Disney movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back