• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Pixar Asked For An Original Toy Story Plot and Other Fun Facts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Toy Story's inclusion in Kingdom Hearts 3 is revolutionary. For the first time in the series Sora, Donald, and Goofy will be meeting face to face with Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

Speaking with Gameinformer, Tetsuya Nomura revealed some information about the upcoming world and it's inclusion in the series.

Toy Story is Iconic In The CG World

Nomura revealed that he's wanted to bring in Toy Story ever since Kingdom Hearts II, as he felt the film is iconic and made such a strong mark on the CG world. He longed for the image of Buzz and Woody meeting face to face, and bringing Sora in as a toy is something he's excited for and hopes fans feel the same way too.

The Plot Takes Place After Toy Story 2

If it wasn't obvious from the decor of Andy's room, Nomura announced that the narrative of the world takes place after Toy Story 2. That means Jesse and Bullseye should be a part of the missing toy crew! Nomura laughs at how many round of reviews and back and forths it took to get approval on the story for the world.

Pixar Requested An Original Plot

Kingdom Hearts is infamous for taking Sora and inserting him right into the storyline of a Disney movie. For this game, Pixar had other plans.

“[Pixar] preferred for us to not follow the film directly,” Nomura explained. “They said, ‘Please create something original to Kingdom Hearts,’ so we did not draw any inspiration from the films. It is completely original and exclusive to Kingdom Hearts, so you can almost say it’s a sequel of some sort.”

Galaxy World Is Where The Main Action Takes Place

If you loved the brief look at Galaxy World, the brand new toy store designed for Kingdom Hearts 3, then you're going to love the full version in the retail release. Galaxy World is where the main action occurs, as Sora will be searching for members of Organization XIII in the store. There are many floors and each one has it's own "personality". 

Gigas Aren't Necessary To Use, But Are Fun To Use

The robots that Sora and the Heartless can control in Galaxy World are called Gigas. Nomura reveals that you don't have to board them if you don't want to, they are optional. They were chosen as Nomura wanted to show that nothing is impossible for Kigndom Hearts 3. Sora can do a lot more thanks to this generations hardware.

Worlds Are Designed For Players To Take Their Time

In previous games, you could easily breeze through a Disney world within an hour. While Nomura was hesitant to put a number on how many hours it will take to complete the Toy Story world, he acknowledged that resources went into designing worlds to have rich gameplay and fun:

“Rather than having multiple different little worlds, we wanted to make sure we’re providing rich gameplay in an individual world, so we put in a lot of effort and allocated a lot of resources to create these worlds, and it would be sad for players not to enjoy the world and breeze right through it. Therefore, we made sure that each of the worlds is designed so players can take their time and enjoy the gameplay that’s available.”

Make sure to check out the full article on Gameinformer!

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I love hearing that the worlds will be really deep and fleshed out. The only thing that worries me is that probably means that the number of Disney worlds are reduced. I can't remember if Nomura ever said KH3 would have more worlds than KH2, but I feel like we might get about 8-10 Disney worlds.

It's also pretty interesting to hear Pixar request that they do an original plot and that they had to review/approve the story. To be honest, that should have been the attitude for almost all of the worlds.

I'm really excited to see what else Galaxy World has to offer. The floor they're on is probably the robot toy floor, but there might be dinosaurs, cars, Barbies etc. and those can all create such a diverse world.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Galaxy World Is Where The Main Action Takes Place

If you loved the brief look at Galaxy World, the brand new toy store designed for Kingdom Hearts 3, then you're going to love the full version in the retail release. Galaxy World is where the main action occurs, as Sora will be searching for members of Organization XIII in the store. There are many floors and each one has it's own "personality".

Kinda mixed feelings on this, a Disney world where the bulk of is original areas not from any films kinda semi-defeats the point a bit. But I suppose creative liberties are a given if you're trying to tell a new story in that world.

Gigas Aren't Necessary To Use, But Are Fun To Use

The robots that Sora and the Heartless can control in Galaxy World are called Gigas. Nomura reveals that you don't have to board them if you don't want to, they are optional. They were chosen as Nomura wanted to show that nothing is impossible for Kigndom Hearts 3. Sora can do a lot more thanks to this generations hardware.
So are they self-aware toys as well? They probably ain't gonna be too happy about being used.

Caxinuld

Awards
I love hearing that the worlds will be really deep and fleshed out. The only thing that worries me is that probably means that the number of Disney worlds are reduced. I can't remember if Nomura ever said KH3 would have more worlds than KH2, but I feel like we might get about 8-10 Disney worlds.
I don't recall Nomura talking about the number of worlds, but I'd rather play 5 amazing worlds than 10 average or lackluster worlds. I am so happy to see that Nomura is addressing the criticism of the Disney story worlds and is working on an original story to put into this world instead of rehashing the movie plots like KH2 did.

notnow123487

Awards

It's also pretty interesting to hear Pixar request that they do an original plot and that they had to review/approve the story. To be honest, that should have been the attitude for almost all of the worlds.

I'm really excited to see what else Galaxy World has to offer. The floor they're on is probably the robot toy floor, but there might be dinosaurs, cars, Barbies etc. and those can all create such a diverse world.

8-10 would be the magic number. There's at least six original worlds we need to go to so this game is going to be massive if it has 8-10 Disney worlds of this size. If we get the max 10 Disney worlds and I'm just guessing but say these worlds take 3-4 hours to complete because of the scope we've seen. And say each original world takes about two hours plus a fourish-fiveish hour endgame world. Then you're looking at a 50-60 hour game just to get through the main story. I think that's pretty optimistic and a hefty game right there.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I'm liking how Toy Story is sounding..though a little down on the lower possible worlds,only because it lowers the chance of a few world i want making it in.

Habimaru

Well, time to remember this interview then:

[FONT=&quot]Can we expect far more worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TN: With every Kingdom Hearts title, we plan to deliver more worlds than actually appear in game -- so we have something in our pockets to work with. Then as we begin to hone these worlds and stages, and some do get cut. [At this point], we have prepared more worlds, in that respect, than Kingdom Hearts 2.

Let's hope it goes through.

P.S. Yup. New here. Be sure to say hi if you want to.

[/FONT]

notnow123487

Awards
Well, time to remember this interview then:

Let's hope it goes through.

P.S. Yup. New here. Be sure to say hi if you want to.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

This quote from Nomura just adds on to my point that tangled was announced too early just for the sake of having a Disney world announced. Could have had the option to cut it as development went on and saw the worlds are all new movies. I think that's what theyre going for at this point though, the new 3D movies are probably a lot easier to recreate in UE4. I think there's way more deserving than tangled though if we're getting less worlds, but I know people are gonna disagree with that.

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I think I missed something. So this 'Galaxy World' is the 'Toy Story World,' Yes?

notnow123487

Awards
I think I missed something. So this 'Galaxy World' is the 'Toy Story World,' Yes?

Galaxy world is the toy store. It's the mech suit location. You go from the room to outside and travel to the toy store where the rest of the world takes place.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah not to be a downer but I would disappointed with less than 10 Disney worlds. I mean, I agree I want a denser experience. But, I did love all the different kinds of environments we got to see in KH2. I would like that feeling in a game with better level design lol.

As for the story, I am ecstatic its original, I guess I am a little iffy for Galaxy Toys to be the main part since yeah, its just original. But I mean I'll live with it. Like I would have loved Al's Toy Barn or Pizza Planet to show up...but oh well. I guess its a weird consequence of a completely original tale. I also hope that doesn't mean more worlds in this game will follow the movie plot than I originally thought tho. That is still the worst lol. Like since Nomura is acting like its such an original thing. I do want it to be the norm rather than the exception.

8-10 would be the magic number. There's at least six original worlds we need to go to so this game is going to be massive if it has 8-10 Disney worlds of this size. If we get the max 10 Disney worlds and I'm just guessing but say these worlds take 3-4 hours to complete because of the scope we've seen. And say each original world takes about two hours plus a fourish-fiveish hour endgame world. Then you're looking at a 50-60 hour game just to get through the main story. I think that's pretty optimistic and a hefty game right there.

Wait, what exactly are these 6 original worlds? That sounds like almost too many tbh. I could see 4 maybe?

This quote from Nomura just adds on to my point that tangled was announced too early just for the sake of having a Disney world announced. Could have had the option to cut it as development went on and saw the worlds are all new movies. I think that's what theyre going for at this point though, the new 3D movies are probably a lot easier to recreate in UE4. I think there's way more deserving than tangled though if we're getting less worlds, but I know people are gonna disagree with that.

Tangled was what started whats arguably the second Disney renaissance so yeah, I would say you're in the minority with that opinion. I mean you may be right about the new movies being easier...maybe. Tangled is the most expensive animated movie of all time because of Rapunzel's hair. I genuinely think they may still not have her model done because they decided to make her fight with her hair of all things apparently lol. Its sketchy that, as you said, it was the first world announced yet we have barely seen it.

As for your other point, there is no evidence of that yet at all. I mean, Toy Story is 20 years old dude, I would hardly call that new lol.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
I kind of like the fact that Pixar wanted Nomura to make an original story. I now wish this was done with every world to keep it entirely new and fresh. Also with them saying it takes place between Toy Story 2 and 3 it almost feels like it not only builds the KH canon but also could possibly be considered Toy Story canon since it doesn't affect the overall franchise. These original sub plots of the game could technically pass as canon for the Disney movies if it doesn't mess up the story.

However I like the familiarity and childhood moments of redoing movie stories in KH as well. I just thought it was an interesting point.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

Keep in mind, this is on PS4 (compared to the previous two big games which were on PS2) so it is not outside the realm of possibility to include many large, deep worlds. KHII had a total of fifteen playable worlds; I feel like we could easily see twenty worlds total (both original and Disney-based, of course).

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I kind of like the fact that Pixar wanted Nomura to make an original story. I now wish this was done with every world to keep it entirely new and fresh. Also with them saying it takes place between Toy Story 2 and 3 it almost feels like it not only builds the KH canon but also could possibly be considered Toy Story canon since it doesn't affect the overall franchise. These original sub plots of the game could technically pass as canon for the Disney movies if it doesn't mess up the story.

However I like the familiarity and childhood moments of redoing movie stories in KH as well. I just thought it was an interesting point.

I mean, that was mostly a KH2 thing I feel. Like, unless you remember Ariel wanting to travel to different worlds and not the human world, or Jack Skellington training the heartless and not trying to take over Christmas in their original movies lol. Everything in Olympus has been implied to take place after the movie, I also feel Neverland, Wonderland and Deep Jungle, while maybe more similar to their movies in some ways, were still rather different. And then Pinocchio definitely didn't take place in a whale for very long lol.

But yeah, I dunno, I feel the best plots in KH2 were the original ones as well. Beast's Castle had the best Org XII integration by far, and Space Paranoids was so great the way they tied it to Radiant Garden. A lot of others were stale cuz it was a worse version of the movie with Sora there lol.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Nomura revealed that he's wanted to bring in Toy Story ever since Kingdom Hearts II, as he felt the film is iconic and made such a strong mark on the CG world. He longed for the image of Buzz and Woody meeting face to face, and bringing Sora in as a toy is something he's excited for and hopes fans feel the same way too.
Not really a great reason to put it in the game imo. There are other ways to pay homage to an influential or iconic work, but the first consideration for what to concentrate on when telling a story ought to be "what is my story about." Kill your darlings and all that.

[Pixar] preferred for us to not follow the film directly... we did not draw any inspiration from the films. It is completely original and exclusive to Kingdom Hearts
Hopefully this means good things, but it could honestly mean anything. Filler is often "original" in its function, but that doesn't make it especially appealing.

This sounds interesting, but I really liked the way the suburban areas looked (bright, natural environments are my preference) so hopefully they don't limit that too much. What we saw of Galaxy World just reminded me of Deep Space from BbS which was...not awful, but not my favorite.

Jumping into a mech suit and shooting lazers at enemies? Games have been doing this for decades. What does this sentence even mean? The Gigas look standard to me. Fun, maybe. A sign that these games have made huge advancements? Pfft.

Worlds Are Designed For Players To Take Their Time
This gives me the most hope. Less Heartless/whatever enemies, more layered level design and secret passageways and integrated minigames and puzzles. One Deep Jungle playthrough with its Jungle Slide, Vine Jumping, Film Collecting, Globe Spinning, Ingredient Cooking, Flower Magicking fun is better than ten Las Cites de Cloches with its...walls?

notnow123487

Awards
Yeah not to be a downer but I would disappointed with less than 10 Disney worlds. I mean, I agree I want a denser experience. But, I did love all the different kinds of environments we got to see in KH2. I would like that feeling in a game with better level design lol.

As for the story, I am ecstatic its original, I guess I am a little iffy for Galaxy Toys to be the main part since yeah, its just original. But I mean I'll live with it. Like I would have loved Al's Toy Barn or Pizza Planet to show up...but oh well. I guess its a weird consequence of a completely original tale. I also hope that doesn't mean more worlds in this game will follow the movie plot than I originally thought tho. That is still the worst lol. Like since Nomura is acting like its such an original thing. I do want it to be the norm rather than the exception.

Wait, what exactly are these 6 original worlds? That sounds like almost too many tbh. I could see 4 maybe?

Tangled was what started whats arguably the second Disney renaissance so yeah, I would say you're in the minority with that opinion. I mean you may be right about the new movies being easier...maybe. Tangled is the most expensive animated movie of all time because of Rapunzel's hair. I genuinely think they may still not have her model done because they decided to make her fight with her hair of all things apparently lol. Its sketchy that, as you said, it was the first world announced yet we have barely seen it.

As for your other point, there is no evidence of that yet at all. I mean, Toy Story is 20 years old dude, I would hardly call that new lol.

Just think of all the original worlds we have. I just threw the six number out there, but we already know twilight town and keyblade graveyard will be in it. (I think you could argue realm of darkness will make a brief appearance since they already have the assets so why not). Then you have the world that never was, radiant garden, the land of departure/castle oblivion, daybreak town, and destiny islands. I think you could easily argue at least three of those will be playable in at least a minor capacity. Then that doesn't even include the possibility of a new original world. They've already got these worlds designed so it shouldn't be that much to recreate like the Disney worlds where they have to design the level layout, especially if they are only brief visits and you don't explore the whole world.

My definition of new just means cgi films of the last twenty five years I guess. I guess I didn't mean new, just the computer generated era. I don't want everything to be cg pixary films which they all are so far except for Olympus. Something like emperors new groove which is after toy story, doesn't have that cg feel.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Just think of all the original worlds we have. I just threw the six number out there, but we already know twilight town and keyblade graveyard will be in it. (I think you could argue realm of darkness will make a brief appearance since they already have the assets so why not). Then you have the world that never was, radiant garden, the land of departure/castle oblivion, daybreak town, and destiny islands. I think you could easily argue at least three of those will be playable in at least a minor capacity. Then that doesn't even include the possibility of a new original world. They've already got these worlds designed so it shouldn't be that much to recreate like the Disney worlds where they have to design the level layout, especially if they are only brief visits and you don't explore the whole world.

My definition of new just means cgi films of the last twenty five years I guess. I guess I didn't mean new, just the computer generated era. I don't want everything to be cg pixary films which they all are so far except for Olympus. Something like emperors new groove which is after toy story, doesn't have that cg feel.

Ah, so yeah, I know Twilight Town is in for sure, and I think Radiant Garden must be also. And I do think LoD will reappear but renamed which may double as the 'new world', this is if my theory that this mysterious Cable Town we have heard of years ago is just LoD expanded. I could see them retconning Keyblade Graveyard as where you NEED to form the X-Blade lol, but I do expect it as well.

I don't think the World That Never Was is really important anymore though? And I don't think we will see Daybreak Town really, maybe, but yeah I don't think its necessary really. And Destiny Island I feel will be cutscenes again lol. So yeah I guess I am sitting at 4 still for full worlds. But maybe more for small snippets/cutscenes yeah.

And ah okay, I guess its a Disney classic to me still, 2D or 3D. But I get that. I guess I also still think we will get more than just Olympus. I actually think Jungle Book and Treasure Planet have high chances of being included. Also that Agrabah has a high chance of returning. And I could probably name more but those 3 kind of top my list for what I think has the highest chance if they don't throw curve balls ha.

notnow123487

Awards
Ah, so yeah, I know Twilight Town is in for sure, and I think Radiant Garden must be also. And I do think LoD will reappear but renamed which may double as the 'new world', this is if my theory that this mysterious Cable Town we have heard of years ago is just LoD expanded. I could see them retconning Keyblade Graveyard as where you NEED to form the X-Blade lol, but I do expect it as well.

I don't think the World That Never Was is really important anymore though? And I don't think we will see Daybreak Town really, maybe, but yeah I don't think its necessary really. And Destiny Island I feel will be cutscenes again lol. So yeah I guess I am sitting at 4 still for full worlds. But maybe more for small snippets/cutscenes yeah.

And ah okay, I guess its a Disney classic to me still, 2D or 3D. But I get that. I guess I also still think we will get more than just Olympus. I actually think Jungle Book and Treasure Planet have high chances of being included. Also that Agrabah has a high chance of returning. And I could probably name more but those 3 kind of top my list for what I think has the highest chance if they don't throw curve balls ha.

I agree I don't think daybreak will be in the game other than maybe a cutscene at most. I thought there was an interview awhile back about there being a battle at keyblade graveyard so I just assume that's in. Destiny islands they have the assets for so I could see a short visit there just for one boss fight. You don't think the world that never was will be used by the new organization to meet and discuss things? I guess it could be cutscene only, but I could see a couple fights happening there. It's pretty iconic with the series now. I think radiant garden will be the hub with the only place of final fantasy characters.

twilight town
keyblade graveyard
radiant garden
Land of departure
(Maybe realm of darkness rescue aqua mission with Riku)

thats kind of the minimum of full worlds so it's four at a minimum plus snippets of all the other worlds they'll have which I've mentioned. This game is just going to be massive in scope, there's really no way about it the kingdom hearts universe has grown so much. It's sad knowing there's going to be stuff omitted that you would have expected be in the game.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
A lot of good news this turn.
It's nice to see that Pixar still has good sense when it comes to this (well, they did make some of the most inspired movies to date) and asked for an original story.

I also like that some mechanics are optional, meaning hopefully the game won't be trying to hold my hand every second.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The only world that seems to be on track for following the movie plot is Tangled, but that's understandable since there's not much else you can do and have Rapunzel's hair still flowing.

I like the idea of each level of Galaxy Toys having it's own "personality". I hope the Julia dolls have their own level (I love that they designed their own original toys!) and I hope the highest one has a secret Zurg boss!

The plot taking place after Toy Story 2 was a given. The room matches Andy's room completely, there's a movie stub for a ticket that Oracle Spockanort informs me fully confirms it's place after 2. I do hope we get to see Jessie. I love me some Joan Cusack and a Bullseye mini-game would be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back