• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Philosophy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvKyou

First of all, what is philosophy?

The dictionary defines philosophy as the ' Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.'

In other words, it is the study of the world using reason instead of science and mathematics. For example, Why does it rain? According to Aristotle, there are four different causes. We learn that it rains because the moisture in the clouds condenses and forms droplets which are then pulled down to earth by gravity. Aristotle would have nodded in agreement but he would've also said that you had only named 3 of the causes, the 'material' causes. The final cause is that the world needs water to survive. How many of you who read this actually thought about the scientific cause of rain instead of the 'final' one? I suppose the majority would have thought of the scientific.

"The world needs water to survive." - It sounds like something a child would say, does it not? But then again, children are more philosophical than adults. Simply because they see the world and they come up with their own explanations for why things happen, without science and such things butting in.

I'll give you three questions, think about them and then posts the answers with the rest of your post.

1. What is philosophy to you?
2. Who are you?
3. Where does the world come from?

skilled keyblada

What you said it is o_O

2. Who are you?
I am.......... a human being, with a name, I have arms, legs...etc.

3. Where does the world come from
I wonder if my parents do know this..... I mean, when I asked where babies came from... they never told me 'til I turned .. like...whatever age o_O. Maybe I have to be 20 to know this.......

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
Why is it of your concern? That is a bigger question.

2. Who are you?
An existence to your level of understanding, unless I am something non-existent, that only exists because I think I exist.

Wherever one thinks it comes from.

Last edited:

Savior of Dawn

Leader of the Dai Gurren Brigade
LuvKyou said:
"The world needs water to survive." - It sounds like something a child would say, does it not? But then again, children are more philosophical than adults. Simply because they see the world and they come up with their own explanations for why things happen, without science and such things butting in.
Incorrect. A child sees the world logically because they have nobody telling them (hopefully) how to think. They can change their opinion readily, because they have no set opinion. 'Science' isn't butting in, it's helping. That's why so many small children love science, it's words for what they found out on their own.

Same as it is to everyone else, a way of understanding.
2. Who are you?
That's nearly impossible to say in the infintesimally possible things that happen at each moment. Theoretically, I am everyone, have been everyone, am no one, and am just myself.
Define 'The world' Earth? or the Universe? Both really originated from the big bang, or something similar.

S

safiahsora

wht is Philosophy its a diamond dat can make humans??? or just a red glowing thinggy
lolxx

Abel

Philosophy and science used to be the same thing. A lot of useful things were deduced using reason, but then, a lot of inaccurate things were deduced as well.

This misconception that you seem to have is that philosophy never evolved past this. There are many branches of philosophy that have been explored through the ages: religious philosophy, moral philosophy, and more recently philosophy of language. And to say that philosophy uses logic instead of mathematics or science is preposterous. Mathematics boils down into logical, inevitable truths, and is used frequently in classical philosophy.

As for your three questions; I don't take internet surveys.
siggly.gif

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Live Life Like Its Your Last Day
Awards
u said what Philosophy is so no need to ansewer question #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back