• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Phat DS or DS lite? Trade in or keep it?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerGuitar

So as some of you may recall, I posted a little doohickey in this section of the forums regarding water being stuck inbetween the screen/screen protector of my DS phat. Some of the water has gone away, but it is unfortunately still there which leads to my next question - should I trade in my original Phat for a DS lite? Now, I know the lite breaks easier but meh, as long as you're careful it should be fine.

The DS phat in my opinion is too big/chunky for my taste as I have fairly small sized hands and I get cramps after playing games for a long time.

And plus, the brightness of the Lite really attracts me to it (games look wayyy better/prettier IMO) and the slim style is pretty sexy. Plus; right now, the Lite is "in"...

So yeah, I've got a couple of options. Trade in my DS phat for a DS lite...keep my phat and buy a lite...or keep my phat and stick with it. The second option of course would cost me a lot of money so keep that in mind...

Thanks!

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
if you want a new one, just get a DSi. its nice and small and works well.

but if you want don't mind a refurbished one, than a normal DS Lite should be fine.

i never upgraded until a couple months ago. while the DSi is a little small for my hands, i love mucho more than i did my DS. i think the Lite is more scratch resistant though. the DSi has a matte finish and i managed to scrape some of it off (no clue how. it's not like i threw it lol.)

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
no, i wouldn't even get it for internet and the features. just the fact its new and all. i don't even think you can get a NEW DS Lite anymore (could be wrong though).

if i could go back, i'd probably get a Lite. but definitely get a DSi if you're enticed by the features and all.

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
One month... how much my DS Phat lived. My DS lite lived 2 years. My friends Phat died in 2 weeks. So no the DS lite doesnt break easily...

yeah, that was:

A. your fault
or
B. a manufacturing issue, in which case you could have gotten your money back.

there's never been a real issue with people DS's breaking unless they broke them.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
no, i wouldn't even get it for internet and the features. just the fact its new and all. i don't even think you can get a NEW DS Lite anymore (could be wrong though).
I'm pretty sure you can, I went to my Gamestop a couple days ago, they had new DS Lites in stock.
But get the DSLite if you have GBA games you still play and you find all the extra stuff on the DSi pointless. If I were you, get the DS Lite.

And BTW, trading a DS Phat and DS Lite doesn't work, or at least, at my Gamestop. If you do trade, it'll only cost like $20, especially when DS Phats are a thing of the past, pretty much.

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure you can, I went to my Gamestop a couple days ago, they had new DS Lites in stock.
But get the DSLite if you have GBA games you still play and you find all the extra stuff on the DSi pointless.

really? well, i got it as a gift, so i just said to get the best one lol. i didn't know all the specifics of it.

YES! major important aspect. no GBA slot on the DSi. not good if you kept some of your old GBA games.

HerGuitar

Yeah, I guess I'm not all that interested in the DSi seeing how the camera/mp3 really don't appeal to me. I've got a camera/i-pod for that. So now the main question is...upgrading to a DS lite or not? D:

I'm also wondering if the original DS is somewhat "rare" as of now, or later in the future...

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Eff DSi.

DSLite gets better battery life, and can play GBA games.

Who needs a camera on their gaming system anyways?

So I would say go for DSLite. Good size, great battery life, it's a lot brighter than the old DS. It's just good all around.

upgrading to a DS lite or not? D:

Yes, please upgrade. For your own good.

• sleek/sexy design
  • better lighting
  • better battery life
  • it's just better

HerGuitar

Eff DSi.

DSLite gets better battery life, and can play GBA games.

Who needs a camera on their gaming system anyways?

So I would say go for DSLite. Good size, great battery life, it's a lot brighter than the old DS. It's just good all around.

Alright, you guys have helped me to decide to get the DS lite. Now it's a matter of selling my DS phat/trading it in...or buying a DS lite and keeping my phat. =/ I'm just wondering if I'll ever have the need for 2 DSes (my sister could play the Phat I guess?) or if the Phat will be somewhat of a rare gaming system.

What do you guys think? :S I also have a Nintendo Of Canada around here, so I could always walk in and check stuff out. Do they allow trade ins? :p

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Well, since I'm assuming you're better than your sister at video games, you could always just have 2 DS' to beat the living trash out of her in every aspect of gaming.

I don't think the phat will ever be that valuable. Maybe when it's an antique in like 50 years, but even then, it would have to be in almost non-played condition.

I would say ask how much you'll get for a trade in, and then decide. Or, tell us how much they'll give you, and we'll decide :p.

And I now nothing about Nintendo stores, never seen one in my life.

HerGuitar

True, beating my sister would be fun ;)

And good point...The DS phat is going for about 40 -70 bucks now used and it's been about 5 years.
Trading in like say, EB Games/GameStop would probably only net me a DS Lite PLUS 70 bucks to buy it.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Well, 70 dollars is about half of the price of a DS lite right? So that's a fair sum if you want to trade it in.

I had the same dilemma a few years back, and I ended up just buying a DS lite and keeping the phat. I figured that if my lite ever broke down I'd at least have a backup. Fortunately, my lite hasn't broken down sense then, but it makes me feel safe knowing I have a backup plan if anything goes wrong.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
if you trad them in for cash you wil probably get in between 25 to 35 dollars or a ds phat... ds lite you will only get probably get about 25 - 45 dollars.. ( i woudnt part for any of mine for less than 45 dollars ) if you are gonna sell them its probably best to do it on craigs list or Ebay...

HerGuitar

So, thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. In the end, I went to a Nintendo Headquarters, handed them my phat and offered me (out of mistake) a new DSi for 100 Canadian dollars + tax. I took the offer and now I have a nice shiny Dsi :)

Good deal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back