• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Party Members in KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost_theMad

Party Members. We all know KH3 is going to have a ton of characters in it because so much needs to be wrapped up, so we'll just have to wait and see how they handle that. I feel like Square may do something similar to BBS and split Riku, Kairi, and Sora up into three separate playable characters-- But this isn't really what I want to talk about here. Right now I'd like to discuss the way parties work in Kingdom Hearts. KH 1, KH 2, and --to some extent though in a different manner--DDD all use parties in their gameplay. DDD offered a wide range of different dream eaters that one could customize and add to their party to their own liking, but we don't see this in KH 1 or KH 2 so much-- Which is what I'd like to talk about here: the party style used in the two main console games and even more specifically for the inevitable Kingdom Hearts 3.

Through reading other people's different posts and opinions on this type of thing, I know that a lot of people are eager to see the return of Donald and Goofy and the original golden trio; and while I have nothing against this, I think they should expand. As mentioned before, there will undeniably be a wide range of characters in KH3, all of which would make really cool and interesting party members. To me, being able to choose and customize your party members in an RPG game is part of what heightens the experience and allows you to expand more in your gameplay, especially if you plan to replay the game several times-- But Kingdom Hearts has never really done this. Sure when you visit one of the many Disney worlds you normally receive a new party member from that specific world, but they're a bit redundant. The characters don't stick around for a long enough time, so there's no reason for players to really incorporate them into their team. (Level ups, stats, items, etc. Its just not necessary).

What I've always wanted to see, and do still hope to see in KH3, is a party system that the player are able to customize fully to their liking with several different options. The argument has come up that it wouldn't be right for Disney characters to leave their home worlds due to the natural order of the games, and I can understand their position-- But even without the Disney characters, KH3 offers us the possibility of so much more. I'm talking about Even, Aeleus, Ienzo, Dilan, Aqua, and even Lea, Riku, and Kairi (If they do not have a story of their own). I see so many posts talkinga bout how the past nobodies are no longer important and that they really don't care much if they are not included in the game because they are, well, unimportant; I say let's make them important! The characters have so much potential; it would be great to have them as allies, and their purpose for helping would be clear enough: Wanting to help fix their past mistakes, take down Xehanort for using and lying to them, restore Radiant Garden to what it once was, saving their old mentor. However, the addition of these new party members doesn't mean we'd be getting rid of Donald and Goofy because the player would have that choice, to be able to choose the characters they want on their team, allowing a unique experience each time one plays-- think Chrono Trigger, for example.

Now another issue people have brought up is: What about storyline? Wouldn't that mess things? True, which is why for the sake of storyline, different characters in your party could be necessary at different points of the game, perhaps going along as you collect them and are then available for later use at points when a specific party member isn't necessary. Again, another thing that has been brought up concerns time because KH3 already has so much to include. Also true, but I think (and hope) that KH3 is inevitably going to be a long game anyway because it has to be to fit everything in, and Square will want to end the saga with a bang, so to speak. To go even further, each party member could even have their own little side missions just to add something new to the table. Just think of all the neat attacks and commands that each of these characters have to offer. Besides, I think that the incorporation of more characters is necessary; sure the 13 darknesses and 7 lights will clash in battle, but the darknesses will likely have a ton of heartless, nobodies, unversed, or even creatures of darkness on their side. Somebody will have to take care of those I would think, and this is where the apprentices and FF characters could come in, as well as some previously lost characters, to help with the battle.

Looking at this post now I can see that it is long, so I will not include another topic I had originally planned to lop onto this one. So, what do you guys think? These are my own personal opinions and hopes for Kh3, feel free to add your own.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm probably in the minority but I don't like it when the games are chopped up into large scenarios like in BbS and 3D because I feel it stretches the narrative unnecessarily. Gameplay wise it's fun and gives more options but I feel doing that hinders the story. After having Days, BbS, Re:Coded, and 3D personally I would prefer if they went back to the old format of SDG, at least for the majority of the game. I'm a bit ambivalent when it comes to party members because I generally don't care if I have a lot, a little, or if I go solo, I primarily play RPGs for the stories so I'm more concerned about having as many characters as needed when they're needed. I'm not opposed to having a large roster of party members you gain and can play with throughout the story but part of the reason I like KH is because I can run around with Disney characters.

The point of that is you, as the player, are supposed to feel like you're having fun with the Disney characters as you explore their appropriate world and make you feel more immersed. Over the last few years KH has somewhat detached itself from its Disney aspect which many feel serves more as a backdrop or filler now. The party system idea you proposed would compose of almost entirely OCs and that's what many people don't want and why they want Donald and Goofy back, so it feels like they're going on an adventure with Disney characters in a Disney game. There are also many people who would like this sort of party buuuuuttt me personally, I don't really care. I mean generally I'm not concern myself with party members, they're there as ass kicking fodder, but if I had to choose between the old school format and one like this I think I'd go for the former. I play KH partly because I do like exploring Disney worlds with their corresponding Disney characters and I don't care about having the OCs in my party in particular. I mean if they're there that's cool but I'm not tripping over myself for a Sora, Riku, Kairi party or a Sora, Aqua, Roxas party.

Lost_theMad

That's why I think having the option is the benefit. Being able to choose allows people who want the Disney characters to use the Disney characters and allows other people who enjoy original Square characters to use original Square characters, maybe even none at all if that is what they want. I would just enjoy seeing more options, and for the whole party system to become more engaging. It wouldn't kick out having the Disney characters from their corresponding worlds, it just would give more of a choice. Its not really that big of a deal, especially seeing as its highly doubtful for KH3 and the game itself won't be out for a while, but I think its a decent idea. Thanks for your thoughts

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm also more on the wagon of having a broader range of choices, especially when considering how many main characters beside Sora we have up to now.
I've already brought up this point sometime earlier last year, but I am entirely with OP on this one in that the player should have the choice.
No one wants to take away the power to play with just Donald and Goofy for those who want to play like that.

However, when I remember older Final Fantasies like VI, VII or IX, you also had a plethora of characters to choose from as party members and that's actually also what makes a good RPG even better.
Being always restricted to have just Donald and Goofy is just boring and unlike the other character combinations, we already completely know the dynamics between SDG from being forced to use them as an unchangeable party in three games.
To be frank when we get to rescue Aqua, Ventus, Xion, Roxas and the others I want also to be able to use them and not stuff them away into Yen Sid's tower or send them on some fool's errand just for the sake of being forced to use Donald and Goofy.
We also never had the opportunity so far to actually have Sora and Riku fight side-by-side for more than just one or two pre-scripted battles, not to mention Mickey.

I could really care less about the Ex-Organisation members (and I doubt Sora would want them in his party actually), but they should at least allow the other main characters alongside Donald and Goofy.
Add on top of it some decent character customization options, maybe even an own Command Deck for each Character which you can give the AI to use and you got an actual fully fledged RPG party system.

---
On a side note, this was actually post No. 4700, yay. :p

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I definitely like the idea of being able to customize the party you have at some point, but I don't think that the options should exist during the main story. I love the idea of after the game ending, being able to freely edit your team to whoever you like, but similar to FFXIII, free choosing of your party from every character available didn't come in until way late in the game.

If SE even has the option to make your party whoever you like, I do think there should be limits:

1) Disney specific characters should always stay world-specific, I'm sorry, but seeing Ariel floating in Traverse Town won't make ANY sense.

2) The final customization roster (that you always have post-main story) shouldn't be too large. Having Riku, Kairi, Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Roxas, Xion, Axel, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy is way too much imo because it's just too many options. To have them all have their own unique weapons, accessories, abilities, stats, etc. would be so time taking and in the end, we all know that with 11 different partners to choose from, it would be too difficult to make them all balanced and unique. Some of them would just end up being really...REALLY bad comapred to others.

3) If you have 11 partners plus Sora running around, will they all just randomly appear in cutscenes together like this massive herd or will it somehow only choose the 2 you have out (thus meaning that only Sora will talk in the cutscenes since they won't make over 100 different version of the same cutscene for every pair of partners) and the partners are reduced to Pokemon that are just shipped off and disappear when you don't need them? This is why I think that the main story (until the end when everyone SHOULD be together) should be SDG.

Not to mention, as others have said, I really hate the idea of sidelining the Disney characters again since we have gone 4 games (Days, BbS, DDD, Coded) without working with a Disney character. However, I think this can all be remedied easily if the player must use Donald and Goofy for a large part of the story and then you slowly unlock others partners along the way. This way, at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the story will be SDG teaming up, but for the final one or two worlds, you can choose whomever you please. Plus, after you the beat the story for all the side missions you can choose whoever you want as well.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I personally miss the Sora, Donald, and Goofy trio but I do agree with some of the things posted here.

The point of that is you, as the player, are supposed to feel like you're having fun with the Disney characters as you explore their appropriate world and make you feel more immersed. Over the last few years KH has somewhat detached itself from its Disney aspect which many feel serves more as a backdrop or filler now.

This is the thing KH has been forgetting about the last few games and should try to fix.

I definitely like the idea of being able to customize the party you have at some point, but I don't think that the options should exist during the main story. I love the idea of after the game ending, being able to freely edit your team to whoever you like, but similar to FFXIII, free choosing of your party from every character available didn't come in until way late in the game.

I agree with kupo here. We should be able to have more options for our party but I think it would make more sense for the post game. If it's like past games there should still be plenty to do with the other characters so it would be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back