• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Overwatch - Sequel Coming Soon

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Blizzard could also try to make use of temporary shields like Lucio, Doomfist, and Hammond's. Along with some sort of damage resistance/reduction like what Orisa has.

There can only be so many different ways to heal until Blizzard ends up making similar healing methods. Geoff Goodman pointed out on a Twitch stream that they were concerned about making more heroes that would end up copying and feeling like other ones. More heroes like Orisa and Brigitte (who feels like a Reinhardt/Lucio hybrid somewhat to me personally)

Is it a bad idea though? I'm starting to think one of the reasons that the meta gets stale so often is because you have single characters who fill single niches, thus when that niche is in favor they are meta, and dominate anything else. Having more variety in each niche sounds like a better idea. Even if it means we get another hero like Rein with a mobile barrier, or another hero who boosts teammate speed, or whatever. As long as those heroes are unique in other parts of their kit, it should still be fine. There are several Damage heroes who all fulfill similar roles (Ashe/McCree/Soldier/Widow) so why can't the same happen with tanks and supports?

Scorpio Li

Is it a bad idea though? I'm starting to think one of the reasons that the meta gets stale so often is because you have single characters who fill single niches, thus when that niche is in favor they are meta, and dominate anything else. Having more variety in each niche sounds like a better idea. Even if it means we get another hero like Rein with a mobile barrier, or another hero who boosts teammate speed, or whatever. As long as those heroes are unique in other parts of their kit, it should still be fine. There are several Damage heroes who all fulfill similar roles (Ashe/McCree/Soldier/Widow) so why can't the same happen with tanks and supports?
A few main reasons why it can't happen *yet* is because hero releases are very slow (3-4 months for just one), and Supports and Tanks don't have as much heroes and variety as Damage does. We just don't know what Blizzard has in store for the two classes in the future.

I bet, at least for Support heroes, they definitely could make use of more AoE's and single-target abilities. We could even get a Tank who could use some sort of force field that throws back projectiles, but it's carried around like a Rein shield. It could still feel different.

I will also say, most of the heroes share just one ability/weapon type between one another and they still feel like their own unique character being played.

So as long as they're not bloated with more than one similar/copied ability, like Orisa and Brigitte do, and they don't feel like you're playing a hybrid of several existing characters, then like you said it should be fine.

That's just my concern. Don't bloat them with more than one similar ability and somehow make them feel like other heroes when they should feel like themselves.

Last edited:

Scorpio Li

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1082351191072202753

DwUyHgMVYAMfFwQ.jpg
Written by Michael Chu and illustrated by Arnold Tsang.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Thoughts on the Soldier 76 reveal? Saw many people really pissy about it. I'm neither for nor against it. As a writer, I'd much rather information like that not be added later, but understand that with Overwatch being an ever developing IP things can change at Blizzard's whimsy.

I find it funny that people are getting pissy, simply because Blizzard ain't going to show/go into detail about anything like that in game. It'd be the supplemental content, and boy is that easily ignored.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It's great. I really see no legit reason to be upset about it. You can argue that the way in which and when this information was presented could have been handled in a different way, but the actual reveal should be non-offensive to anyone who isn't a bigot.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
It's great. I really see no legit reason to be upset about it. You can argue that the way in which and when this information was presented could have been handled in a different way, but the actual reveal should be non-offensive to anyone who isn't a bigot.

Exactly. It's really just something to drive lore interest in the game, and maybe get it circulating in discussion again. On principle it *could* bug me, if I let it. But at the end of the day representation is good, I think.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Thoughts on the Soldier 76 reveal? Saw many people really pissy about it. I'm neither for nor against it. As a writer, I'd much rather information like that not be added later, but understand that with Overwatch being an ever developing IP things can change at Blizzard's whimsy.

I find it funny that people are getting pissy, simply because Blizzard ain't going to show/go into detail about anything like that in game. It'd be the supplemental content, and boy is that easily ignored.

Looking back, Jack was looking at the picture of him and Vincent in the Reflections comic from 2 years ago so I don't even think it was added later they just...waited a really long time to tell us for some reason. Its a flaw in Overwatch's writing as a whole really. I expect this to keep happening.

And I mean, they confirmed that Gabriel has a family (probably also the woman and child he was looking at in Reflections) so its not like Soldier was the only one with a confirmed orientation, tho Gabe could be bi I guess.

And idk, as a gay person it does bother me a bit they keep making these reveals in side content and don't really say it in game at all other than now both of them have sprays of their lovers? Which is nice lol. I guess a few people mention Emily by name but no one, even Winston, just casually asks how like their relationship is going or something chill to tell the 70% of fans who do not look at the side content. Like it just comes slightly off like they want the praise of representation but don't want to put it front and center. But oh well, I guess I am glad they are doing it at all. I am pleased with how they handled both reveals, like they both were fairly natural imo.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
They're doing an in-game mini event based on the new story short. Works just like the Nano Cola D.Va thing, and gives you a new Ana epic, Bastet.

I like this approach to doing little character events like this for special skins. Actually gives little bursts of new besides the big events. Just wish they were more often.

As for the Soldier thing, I don't mind. Jack was shown holding a photo of Vincent in Reflections way back when, so it seems at least the character was thought of a while ago. And more inclusion is nice, congratulations on that.

In other news, the newest PTR update destroys GOATs comp once and for all.

- Reaper's lifesteal increased to 50%
- D.Va's Defense Matrix cooldown increased to 2 seconds (time in between uses)
- Brigitte's Rally armor now only lasts a maximum of 30 seconds instead of infinite.
- armor mitigates 3 damage per instance instead of 5, meaning it's less effective against shotguns and machine guns.

In other words, Reaper is about to be an unkillable monster and tanks will be unfun to even attempt playing. Theresl's already gameplay showing characters like Orisa and Wrecking Ball be shredded without having a chance of fighting back. Greeeeaaaat....

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Those are some mind boggling adjustments. This is why I've largely stopped playing Overwatch in recent months. With the meta changing every few months, they seem to always change it to characters I struggle to play against. I know it's about the "git gud" aspect of a competitive shooter, but some of these changes are just... Maddening.

Scorpio Li

[video=youtube;oO6UVPRWtCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO6UVPRWtCI&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Commissioned by Blizzard.

CurtisBissonnett

Pretty much confirmed in this. Which I am glad for, because it seems to be for the better.

[video=youtube_share;YpoBPg0gjfE]http://youtu.be/YpoBPg0gjfE[/video]

I am not more addicted to play but looks intresting to have in the account.

Sdog

Awards
Overwatch 2

Announce Cinematic

Gameplay Trailer

Back to ghostin till release... maybe...

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Great trailer. Too bad I don’t support Blizzard anymore.

Back