• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Overrated Games/Franchises

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Muke

whatever
Awards
Very simple topic: Which games/franchises that are praised by the public just aren't your cup of tea, to the extent that you've grown to hate them?

For me, it's just gotta be Call of Duty. I… just don't see the appeal at all. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of shooters, or because all those kids around here think they're cool because the play CoD… I just can't stand it and think it's really overrated.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I recently played through Undertale, and even though I don't hate it, I feel it's very overrated. I don't see how it could be regarded the "best game ever made" by... anyone really. It's a good solid game, not really my thing and I found most of the characters annoying and the humor way too meme filled, but the fandom is one of the worst I've seen. The gameplay and music was fine, and I like many of the things as concepts and I see where they were going with them, but the execution just felt meh. The neutral route final boss was pretty clever I'll give it that.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
League of Legends. Just...no. To each their own, but how this out of all online games got so much attention and players is beyond me.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Overwatch. It's the single "safest" game that's come out and has gotten extremely popular by surrounding itself in meme cultures and adding "plot" to seem progressive, which is odd considering the game has 0 story and they know what's being tacked on really isn't a big deal in 2017. Overwatch is just a fad that's going to fade before long once the next big game hits shelves.

Datomix

Awards
Website
s14.invisionfree.com
Call of Duty

Less because of the actual game and more because it has the most irritating and obnoxious fanbase ever. Then again, FF fans are pretty close... but at least they aren't prepubescent boys screaming in your ear, just butthurt adults obsessed with FF7 and hating every other title.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I wouldn't hate something just because it's popular, but if I had to choose an overrated one, it would be Overwatch. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the game, but it's hype has gotten out of hand. From annoying players to whiny kids in the voice chat, it's REALLY hard playing PvP anymore. I stick to AI battles. It's not a bad game by any means, it's just... it could be better.

Honestly, I don't think Call of Duty is overrated anymore. While many still play it, there is a lot of flak out there and apparently calling it overrated is the right description for it. However, as popular and overplayed a game gets, it will receive hate from that one person at the corner.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Overwatch. It's the single "safest" game that's come out and has gotten extremely popular by surrounding itself in meme cultures and adding "plot" to seem progressive, which is odd considering the game has 0 story and they know what's being tacked on really isn't a big deal in 2017. Overwatch is just a fad that's going to fade before long once the next big game hits shelves.

I wouldn't call it overrated per say, but I do feel cheesed that the $60 version is the only one on consoles when the game isn't worth that that much without a singleplayer mode. Hell Battleborn had a campaign on top of it's multiplayer & yet was the way less popular of the 2 games.

Pandymint

Awards
Overwatch and League of Legends. They're not bad games but people obsess over them and I don't ever see why. They're fun sure but that's about it. Overwatch is not worth $60 by any stretch of the imagination.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I hear the kids are raving about Overwatch. Back in my days it was all about Blue dog and Jump Man.

Kounelli

Awards
I haven't even played overwatch and I'm tired of it.

Don't know if it's as overexposed now as it was a while ago, but I could never get behind Rocket League. It was just a frustrating game that got boring fast.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Even though I like Chrono Trigger and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, they are overrated to me when they are taken into account balancing and design aspects (such as broken gameplay or water temple) but other than that, it primarily serves as a pinnacle of a series or generation that people are very fond of.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I actually don't quite know about Overwatch not being worth the money. I got it for the £45, and that was about $56 worth. I've played it a lot over the last few months, and I still do enjoy it (even though it makes me angry). If it was a $60 game that was insistent on paid DLC to play as new characters, yeah, I'd have a problem. But the free updates are pretty fun. Free new maps and characters? Yeah, that's rockin'. Maybe a few people will be angry about the paid loot boxes, but tbh, I've never felt compelled to buy any.

I've definitely gotten more hours out of that game than any story based game, and I actually quite like that. It's something a bit different than what I'm accustomed to.

As for how overrated though, hey, maybe.

ghostwarmen

Awards
I play Overwatch nearly every night with my buds and we still have a rocking good time, but I do agree I think it is overrated, and certainly not the best game of 2016 like many say.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
Pokémon games... it's the same every time. To be fair, I used to think they were great. Sapphire was my favorite. So I got alpha sapphire. It felt more of a chore to beat it. Like after I started I was all, "well I bought it, might as well finish it". After I accidentally beat the elite four (I'm not joking. I went in with 4 decent Pokémon and 2 I was trying to level up and ended up winning easily because of the game breaker that is kyogre ancient evolution's 1-hit faint move) I didn't even care about the extra content that was added.

In addition to being reskinned versions of the original games (talking blue and red), Pokémon designs and ideas have really gone downhill. The last, non remake I played was black or white. And I remember thinking it was a huge mistral to do 150 new Pokémon, especially since there were plenty they could have easily done without due to lack of creativity. I think the first 3 generations were good. Then the designs fell flat.

Point is, I feel it's overrated due to its lack of significant deviation from the originals and lack of creative character design in later installments. But hey, at least they added mega digivo--- I mean mega evolutions.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
League of Legends. Just...no. To each their own, but how this out of all online games got so much attention and players is beyond me.

I think you'd have to be a MOBA fan to understand where it fits in the genre. I do agree that it's crazy how well the game has been perceived.

I consider myself a FPS fan, but I don't like this particular formula. You can easily see the TF2 in this game (minus hats), but more importantly it has become popular from internet trends and the likes. This is a bit of a turn off in my opinion because it lacks originality (then again, what games are original these days). Also I'm not sure how games without a campaign are praised. Like Battlefront gets pooped on from the lack of a campaign (why because it's EA?) but Overwatch is deemed GOTY, but also lacks story.

the last of us was pure shit

ty you saved me $20

Back