• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Original KH Cartoon Storyboards Being Sold

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Seth Kearsley, an animator who has worked on The Secret Life of Pets, Sing, Phineas and Ferb, and the Simpsons, had done some work on a Kingdom Hearts cartoon in the early 2000s. Obviously, nothing had come of it, but he's selling the storyboards he made for the show.

Most run for $50, and the most expensive is $150. Even if you aren't into buying one, it's pretty cool to preview them and check them. It's a dope part of KH history that could have been.

Link is here if you want to see them:
https://kingdom-hearts-storyboard-art.myshopify.com/collections/all

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I find it interesting that in some of those storyboards Riku is fighting Sora with a normal sword instead of Soul Eater.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel these are way too overpriced but it is a nice piece of KH history. If I had the money to spare right now I could have been convinced to drop money on one of the Sora and Riku fight panels, but nothing really struck me as exciting.

Also looking at the general plot, I’m really glad this show didn’t go through. I still want an animated series of some sort but it needs somebody who really understands KH while also being a talented writer to completely reboot the series.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I still think KH3 would work well as a long running anime series. I feel like if it was western animated it would have certain limitations

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I really don't want to be that guy, but can't this thread be moved to the Kingdom Hearts general section? none of his pieces is related to Kingdom Hearts III.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I still think KH3 would work well as a long running anime series. I feel like if it was western animated it would have certain limitations

Voltron is a western cartoon with amazing animation, albeit it is animated in S. Korea. Steven Universe also has gorgeous animation. Don’t underestimate what can be done by western animation studios. It’s all about how much money they put into the production.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Voltron is a western cartoon with amazing animation, albeit it is animated in S. Korea. Steven Universe also has gorgeous animation. Don’t underestimate what can be done by western animation studios. It’s all about how much money they put into the production.

Well I wasn't referring to animation style. I meant issues regarding possible censorship. While KH is a E rated series, certain things may be cut for it to air on Disney channel. Unless it goes to a streaming service.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well I wasn't referring to animation style. I meant issues regarding possible censorship. While KH is a E rated series, certain things may be cut for it to air on Disney channel. Unless it goes to a streaming service.

If they were going to censor it, it would be censored no matter if it was a western animation or an anime.

Disney is launching a streaming service with original content set to be delivered on there, including animated series. Disney actually already has online-only shows like Ginger Snaps

https://abc.go.com/shows/ginger-snaps

But it should be stated that no matter if it is streamed or not, a show must abide by the rules of the rating boards of the countries they plan to deliver content in and will still get rated. So again, if they were going to censor something, they already would and not because of where it is animated.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
KH3 shorts would be nice. Non serialized pieces of comedic fluff, each world in the game receiving a little 2nd tier canon cartoon... Not too much action, either, mostly comedy.

Honestly, a shortform western take on KH isn't just a good idea, it's an overdue concept that I'm shocked hasn't been attempted. There's so much goodness at Disney right now! The Mickey shorts team, Craig McCracken, the Ducktales guys, the Star Vs crew... A few KH toons by these comedic artists would be a lot of fun.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well they did animated shorts for XV so I could see that happening to promote KH3.
Maybe Nomura could help direct some of them

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
KH3 shorts would be nice. Non serialized pieces of comedic fluff, each world in the game receiving a little 2nd tier canon cartoon... Not too much action, either, mostly comedy.

Honestly, a shortform western take on KH isn't just a good idea, it's an overdue concept that I'm shocked hasn't been attempted. There's so much goodness at Disney right now! The Mickey shorts team, Craig McCracken, the Ducktales guys, the Star Vs crew... A few KH toons by these comedic artists would be a lot of fun.
i find it interesting how you want kh to have this small-scale, unambitious approach to everything like it was kh1 despite that ship already sailing a long time ago lol. i’d love to see a KH series done by greg weissman or alex hirsch, preferrably with an original cast and their own classic disney companions- i just doubt it’d happen with proper execution or showrunners. hirsch doesnt like KH based solely on what he feels it represents and thats a shame but what can you do

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dandelion and I talked about this today and we agreed that KH shorts would probably be the only way to go about KH in an animated form that wouldn’t be a massive undertaking that would cut out core elements of the franchise.

With shorts you can have a bunch of in-universe stories throughout the existing timeline that don’t overstep the games and also exist to add to the experience of the franchise. They would be easy enough to jump in and enjoy as an outsider while also being great for fans. You could have stories about Sora, Riku, and Kairi’s childhood together like small adventures, or show Sora introduce Riku and Kairi to Sandy Claws or have something from one of the skipped days from Days where Roxas faces a dangerous foe...

An animated series makes sense and I think should be done, but Nomura is very much the helicopter mom type of developer who wouldn’t be able to step aside and let somebody else work on the series. The idea of an animated series is that we want Nomura to be removed from the equation to see how a competent and creative western storyteller with an understanding of KH in its entirety would approach KH and that can’t happen with Nomura wanting to hover.

Also how would one even approach an animated KH show? How do you take 8+ games and break them down into something more easily adaptable for a show? What stays in and what gets cut? What changes vs what doesn’t change? What gets added to create a better narrative and will that infringe on any concepts they wish to add in?

Hell, do you make a straight-up adaption or take a looser approach?

Tbh, though, either they get a show in development to ride on KH3’s popularity or they need to wait a few decades to even begin to think about this because they missed the train YEARS ago.

eiczerofour

These are cool, I may actually go for one. Very nice pieces, would go well with my ever growing Kingdom Hearts collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back