• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Order of play

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aenima

Hello everyone. im new to the whole Kingdom Hearts series, but i know theres more than just one game, and also alot of side storys. so how do you play them in chronological order?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Hearts [Days begins when Sora becomes a Heartless]
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories [Happens in the middle of Days]
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts coded

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I wouldn't play BBS first... Play them as they were released. A lot of stuff in BBS only has poignancy BECAUSE you already know what happens after it. Playing it first would ruin that.

Play:
-Kingdom Hearts 1
-Chain of Memories
-Kingdom Hearts II
-Birth By Sleep
-Re:Coded

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
In chronological order they go:

Birth by sleep
Kingdom Hearts
358/2Days
(Re:)Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts2
(Re:)Coded

For some of the games it's probably best not to play in chronological order though because of spoilers for other games.

Edit: Darn, beat to it :T

Last edited:

ZiggyK

Yeah, it's like watching the Star Wars prequel before the original series. The prequel spoils that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father [ZOMFG SPOILERS] and that Luke and Leia are brother and sister [ZOMFG MORE SPOILERS](stfu it's been 30 years)

So it would ruin the experience playing them in chronological order. Play them in this order.

Kingdom Hearts
Chain of Memories or Re: Chain of Memories (doesn't matter which, Re: CoM is the 3D remake for ps2)
Kingdom Hearts II
358/2 Days
Birth by Sleep
Re: Coded (when it comes out)

That's the order of release.

Have fun and enjoy.

EDIT: Be careful on these forums as they are spoiler heavy for the older games. Also these are the consoles they were released on

Kingdom Hearts - PS2
Chain of Memories - GBA
Re: Chain of Memories - PS2
Kingdom Hearts II - PS2
358/2 Days - NDS
Birth by Sleep - PSP
Re: Coded - NDS

EDITEDIT: And the newly announced KH3D will be on 3DS

Aenima

Yeah, it's like watching the Star Wars prequel before the original series. The prequel spoils that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father [ZOMFG SPOILERS] and that Luke and Leia are brother and sister [ZOMFG MORE SPOILERS](stfu it's been 30 years)

So it would ruin the experience playing them in chronological order. Play them in this order.

Kingdom Hearts
Chain of Memories or Re: Chain of Memories (doesn't matter which, Re: CoM is the 3D remake for ps2)
Kingdom Hearts II
358/2 Days
Birth by Sleep
Re: Coded (when it comes out)

That's the order of release.

Have fun and enjoy.

EDIT: Be careful on these forums as they are spoiler heavy for the older games. Also these are the consoles they were released on

Kingdom Hearts - PS2
Chain of Memories - GBA
Re: Chain of Memories - PS2
Kingdom Hearts II - PS2
358/2 Days - NDS
Birth by Sleep - PSP
Re: Coded - NDS

EDITEDIT: And the newly announced KH3D will be on 3DS

Thanks man! ill play em in that order than. I guess i have to buy a NDS than lol, and a psp. i just wanted to know so that i didnt miss anything that went on in the story. its easy to get lost sometimes within the spoilers and fighting about what really happened in the story in these forums

ZiggyK

Thanks man! ill play em in that order than. I guess i have to buy a NDS than lol, and a psp. i just wanted to know so that i didnt miss anything that went on in the story. its easy to get lost sometimes within the spoilers and fighting about what really happened in the story in these forums

Yeah. You don't have to get a NDS. Though they are arguably important to the story, you can just look up and read 358/2 Days and Re: Coded on the internet when you get up to it, though they are good games, they aren't entirely worth the amount for a new console.

However, Birth by Sleep is very much worth the amount to buy it and a new console. I hear it is very very good.

Also, Re: CoM is only avaliable in English in NTSC regions, and not in PAL (Europe and Oceania) regions.

EDIT: Just saw you lived in Hollywood, so you should get your hands on Re: CoM just fine.

Aenima

Yeah. You don't have to get a NDS. Though they are arguably important to the story, you can just look up and read 358/2 Days and Re: Coded on the internet when you get up to it, though they are good games, they aren't entirely worth the amount for a new console.

However, Birth by Sleep is very much worth the amount to buy it and a new console. I hear it is very very good.

Also, Re: CoM is only avaliable in English in NTSC regions, and not in PAL (Europe and Oceania) regions.

EDIT: Just saw you lived in Hollywood, so you should get your hands on Re: CoM just fine.

awesome. ill go out and buy RE:CoM, and KH2 tomorrow. ill probably end up buying a NDS just to play RE:coded and days lol.

ZiggyK

awesome. ill go out and buy RE:CoM, and KH2 tomorrow. ill probably end up buying a NDS just to play RE:coded and days lol.

Alright. If you have any questions about the story line, just ask, coz it can get quite confusing. Just make sure you ask for no spoilers.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I would say wait and buy a 3DS so you can play Days, Re:Coded and KH3D, instead of buying a DS now.

3DS is supposed to come out by March next year.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Oh can you not play regular NDS games on the 3DS?

No, you can, that's why i said you should wait. But you can't play 3DS games on the NDS, which means you'd have to buy another system just to play KH3D.

Aenima

No, you can, that's why i said you should wait. But you can't play 3DS games on the NDS, which means you'd have to buy another system just to play KH3D.

Well in that case ill wait till the 3DS comes out then. till then ill just read what happens in Days and RE:coded when i get to that point in the story.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't play BBS first... Play them as they were released. A lot of stuff in BBS only has poignancy BECAUSE you already know what happens after it. Playing it first would ruin that.

Play:
-Kingdom Hearts 1
-Chain of Memories
-Kingdom Hearts II
-Birth By Sleep
-Re:Coded
agree with this but if you don't hate fillers and can afford a ds (if you don't have one already) play 358/2 days after KH II. if you don't have a ds wait till 3ds

exept ReCoded is importent but wait till 3ds is released

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
If I were you, I would play Birth by Sleep dead last, as it is a prequel full of plot twists for the rest of the games in the time line. These plot twists also nicely tie up all the loose ends in the entire KH plot so far, and nicely connect all these scattered games with each other.

Pretty much, BBS turns out to have a Distant Finale that is probably the biggest sequel hook we've seen yet.

It makes it all the more exciting to figure out what will definitely happen in Kingdom Hearts 3. giggity giggity!

Coded isn't all that important. The only thing you need to know is the ending, which can be watched on YouTube. IMO, Coded is pure filler. I'm not sure if Re:Coded will change that though.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I totally agree with playing them in the order in which they were released. It's much better that way. Besides... silly enough, but I can't really respect fans who came into the series from the newest games, especially Days.

Chronological Order:

Birth by Sleep - Prequel Game
KH1 - First game
358/2 Days - happens near the end of KH1
(Re:)CoM - Happens somewhere in the beginning of 358/2 Days
KH2
KH (Re:)Coded - After KH2
---------
I'd say play the games in order of release, or skip out on BBS entirely. Birth by Sleep basically gives a recap of the storyline ahead of time, so play it in this order:

KH1
358/2 Days
(Re:)CoM
KH2
(Re:)Coded
BBS
[Any future game]

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I agree with the people that say play them in the order they were released. After you play through entire series, if you really want to play it again, play it in chronological order afterward, that way you can see how it all happened, with no spoilers since you'd have played through all the game thus far and there would be nothing to spoil. By playing it in the order they were released, you would feel like most other people on this site have, you would be filled with questions, that the next game answered, instead of being given a question that you already know the answer too. However, I would recommend getting Re:CoM for the PS2 instead of the original for the GBA, even if you have a GBA. If you don't want to spend too much, then by all means go for the GBA version if you have one cause it'll be far cheaper then the Re:CoM. However, the remake looks and sounds much nicer and the gameplay has improved because there is more space and it feels "more like the Kingdom Hearts we played before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back