• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Only Atheist at School!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Why did the topic even come up in school? Theology is usually not a common topic during lunch.

gottaluvkh1992

Koudelka's Servant
I have been having many problmes at school about beening a Atheist. I have even gotten into a few fights for no reason at all. Many people look at me all werid and think there so better then me and always say I'm going to Hell.

I want to know your options about this and what I should do.

im athiest as well and ive had people make fun of me as well because of it, but if they ask like how can you believe in the big bang or whatever they ask just say how can you believe in a spiritual thing which denys the laws of physics? that usually makes the quiet. if you live in America i can imagine what its like America is a very strong christian country a good thing about England is we're not we are multi-cultral and one of the major religions is now atheism

RoxasofOblivion

I'm a Christian myself and I am appalled that my fellow christian's would just start fights for no reason. Everybody has an opinion. I belive in God and Jesus and you don't. Although I do belive its important to tell people about Jesus, that is your opinoin and I respect it.(sorry for the spelling by the way)

Elorah

Awards
If these people are so passionate about thier religion, they must have read from the Bible and learnt how important it is to love others as you love yourself. Another Christian belief is that everyone is equal and it is right to love everybody and put aside small differences.

Anyway, they're discriminating you over something that shouldn't be that important.
They need to realise that if they can treat you and other Athiests this way, there is nothing stopping people discriminating them about being Christian. Although, I suggest you don't react in that way .

Last edited:

gottaluvkh1992

Koudelka's Servant
If these people are so passionate about thier religion, they must have read from the Bible and learnt how important it is to love others as you love yourself. Another Christian belief is that everyone is equal and it is right to love everybody and put aside small differences.

These are not just for Christianity, it should be for everyone i believe in everyone is equal even though i am not religious

Elorah

Awards
These are not just for Christianity, it should be for everyone i believe in everyone is equal even though i am not religious

Exactly. It is a basic thing people are taught. But it is highly regarded in the Christian religion. Telling someone that they're going to Hell because of thier religion is pretty stupid. Because they pick on people who don't follow thier religion and thier rules, they are going against thier beliefs.

I am a Christian, but I find it hard to understand why some people let religion take over thier lives and discriminate others because of it.

Eep. Accidentally double-posted. Sorry! =)

Last edited:

Elorah

Awards

Exactly. It is a basic thing people are taught. But it is highly regarded in the Christian religion. Telling someone that they're going to Hell because of thier religion is pretty stupid. Because they pick on people who don't follow thier religion and thier rules, they are going against thier beliefs.

I am a Christian, but I find it hard to understand why some people let religion take over thier lives and discriminate others because of it.

Awards
I have been having many problmes at school about beening a Atheist. I have even gotten into a few fights for no reason at all. Many people look at me all werid and think there so better then me and always say I'm going to Hell.

I want to know your options about this and what I should do.

I can gaurantee you that you're not the only Atheist at your school, but you very well may be the only one who is stupid enough to out himself as one.

Did it not occur you that Atheism is looked down upon by 3/4 of the world? When did you make the decision to come out as an Atheist, and what the hell sort of response you expecting?

Kunoke

I can gaurantee you that you're not the only Atheist at your school, but you very well may be the only one who is stupid enough to out himself as one.

Did it not occur you that Atheism is looked down upon by 3/4 of the world? When did you make the decision to come out as an Atheist, and what the hell sort of response you expecting?

Uh, what? So just because most people don't agree with Atheists they should just keep their traps shut or suffer the wrath of anyone who doesn't like them? That's fantastic logic. How about I go and pick on Christians for liking God and Jesus. I don't agree with them. In fact, let's just all discriminate. I mean, there's no point in trying not to, right?

gottaluvkh1992

Koudelka's Servant

STUPID ENOUGH? youre stupid if you think you should hide your religion or choice of being Atheist from everyone nothing is stupid with being Atheist nothing AT ALL. and who cares about the 3/4 of the world aganist it, it is your choice and so the 3/4 shouldnt matter.

houzukimaru

Yeah so we should all hide our beliefs just to fit in with the crowd?
If someone wants toe be an Athiest, I'm sure they can, and I'm sure they have their own reasons for their decision.
If they respect other's religions, others should respect their views too, instead of being so narrow minded that thinking only their religion is allowed or right.

It doesn't matter when they decided or what response they expected, but it's how they're being treated by other members at their school for no other reason at all.
Have you talked to anyone about this? I think it's a bit unfair that everyone's ganging up on you just for your beliefs.

Awards
Uh, what? So just because most people don't agree with Atheists they should just keep their traps shut or suffer the wrath of anyone who doesn't like them? That's fantastic logic. How about I go and pick on Christians for liking God and Jesus. I don't agree with them. In fact, let's just all discriminate. I mean, there's no point in trying not to, right?

No, people should keep their "traps shut" if they want to avoid "suffering the wrath of anyone who doesn't like them", and it is fantastic logic. Nobody's going to stop this kid from openly professing his Atheism, but he's acting like he was expecting people to respond well to it. And if that is the case, he is an idiot.

Don't get pissed at me, I'm not the one discriminating. I'm an Atheist myself, but I'm intelligent enough not to talk about it in a predominantly Christian world, because unlike you I'm not naive enough to believe in the general kindness and acceptance of people.

STUPID ENOUGH? youre stupid if you think you should hide your religion or choice of being Atheist from everyone nothing is stupid with being Atheist nothing AT ALL. and who cares about the 3/4 of the world aganist it, it is your choice and so the 3/4 shouldnt matter.

Jesus Christ, you are one dense son of a bitch. I never said that anything was stupid about being an Atheist, I'm saying that you are stupid to talk about being an Atheist because the fact is that you WILL make enemies. If you want to make enemies, that is also your decision, but don't get online and complain about it on a message board when you realize that your religion isn't as popular as you thought it was. I'm not saying that it's fair, but it is true.

Who cares about the other 3/4 of the world? A person who knows when to keep their beliefs to themself for the greater good of their reputation; ergo, not you.

Basically, yeah. Once again, it may not be fair, but it is the way things work.

If someone wants toe be an Athiest, I'm sure they can, and I'm sure they have their own reasons for their decision.
If they respect other's religions, others should respect their views too, instead of being so narrow minded that thinking only their religion is allowed or right.

You are tossing around the word 'should' left and right with that statement. And while I completely agree with you, we aren't talking about what 'should' be, or how we can make the world a better place by shooting the shit on a Kingdom Hearts message board. Regardless of how things 'should' be, the fact is that things are the exact opposite of how you think things 'should' be, and so the moral of the story is that you shouldn't get up on stage unless you're willing to accept the possibility of having some rotten vegetables thrown at you.

It doesn't matter when they decided or what response they expected, but it's how they're being treated by other members at their school for no other reason at all.
Have you talked to anyone about this? I think it's a bit unfair that everyone's ganging up on you just for your beliefs.

No, it definitly does matter when they decided and what response they expected. It's unfair that he's being ganged up on for his beliefs, no shit, but he shouldn't have brought up his religion in the first place if he wasn't prepared to get some negetive feedback. He screwed himself, and now he's going to deal with discrimination and humiliation until he wises up and learns what subjects are considered taboo in a general social environment.

D

Destiny of Sora

Should, could, these are interesting concepts, but you can't force people to change.

I believe that SoS is saying that coming out as an atheist would naturally make you unpopular due to the Christian majority, you can't really expect any different, unfortunately.

I still say this seems like a Help and Support thread.

Kunoke

No, people should keep their "traps shut" if they want to avoid "suffering the wrath of anyone who doesn't like them", and it is fantastic logic. Nobody's going to stop this kid from openly professing his Atheism, but he's acting like he was expecting people to respond well to it. And if that is the case, he is an idiot.

No, that's absolute bullshit. He wasn't expecting to be popular, he was expecting to be treated like a normal human being. Just because you're pessimistic doesn't mean the whole world should be. You should be proud of your religion, not hide it.

Don't get pissed at me, I'm not the one discriminating. I'm an Atheist myself, but I'm intelligent enough not to talk about it in a predominantly Christian world, because unlike you I'm not naive enough to believe in the general kindness and acceptance of people.

Uh huh. I'm naive huh. Listen, I'm a LaVeyan Satanist, and openly so. Most of my friends are either Christian or Catholic, and they think I'm pretty cool. I've had maybe 1 or 2 people ever even bring it up to me, ever, and other than that people don't treat me like an ass. And when I was an Agnostic, and before that an Atheist, I received no different treatment. My entire family is Christian, and they don't care. Being Christian has absolutely nothing to do with it. The behavior those people are displaying is not Christian at all, not even a little bit, and any true Christian can tell you that.

Awards
No, that's absolute bullshit. He wasn't expecting to be popular, he was expecting to be treated like a normal human being. Just because you're pessimistic doesn't mean the whole world should be. You should be proud of your religion, not hide it.

Stop using the word 'should', you twit. You can hope for a more accepting world all you want, but words like "should" and "could" are worth nothing when the ideas protaining to them aren't true. Example: I should have a twelve-inch penis. See? Nothing happened.

What he was expecting is completely irrelevant aside from the fact that he didn't expect to be treated like an outsider, and he didn't expect to be treated like an outsider because he was ignorant.

You should be proud of your religion and not hide it? Is there nothing in between? Can't you be proud of your religion without parading it around, getting into fights, and becoming a target for harassment because of it?

There is a difference between realism and pessimism, and the fact--and it is a fact--that Atheists are, in the majority, treated like shit in modern day American society is an example of both.

Uh huh. I'm naive huh. Listen, I'm a LaVeyan Satanist, and openly so. Most of my friends are either Christian or Catholic, and they think I'm pretty cool. I've had maybe 1 or 2 people ever even bring it up to me, ever, and other than that people don't treat me like an ass. And when I was an Agnostic, and before that an Atheist, I received no different treatment. My entire family is Christian, and they don't care. Being Christian has absolutely nothing to do with it. The behavior those people are displaying is not Christian at all, not even a little bit, and any true Christian can tell you that.

Out of that paragraph, the only sentence that I have any reason to respond to is the last one, because I have got absolutely no reason to give a shit about you, your friends, your religion, or your reputation.

When did I ever say that the Christians were displaying Christian qualities? Sure, they are assholes that probably act less Christian-like than most Atheists, but how does that change the fact that this kid is an outcast because of his lack of faith? Placing blame is not going to help anybody. It seems like you are more concerned with justifying your own decisions than confronting the problems presented by another's. I have given the best advice that I can; shut the hell up about your religion unless you want to piss a lot of people off. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Minus SoS' angry comments, he's mostly right. Atheists are the most hated minority in America. You can preach it around if you like, but don't expect a warm response, you will get ostracized, and there's not much you can do about it. This is why the topic should never be brought up in a group.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
well, i'm christain, and i'm not trying to influence you, not at all. If these people are christain, just tell them "doesn't the bible say 'Love your neighbor as yourself?'" and other bible verses. if anything, you should beat them at their own game.
hope this helps =)

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Minus SoS' angry comments, he's mostly right. Atheists are the most hated minority in America. You can preach it around if you like, but don't expect a warm response, you will get ostracized, and there's not much you can do about it. This is why the topic should never be brought up in a group.

He is right, they are even behind Muslims (which surprised me much).

SorasHeartless

I have gotten myself in so many arguments concerning the topic of religion and eventually i got to the point of absolute animosity by many people, but the thing is many times i did not know what I was talking about and i realized that to have an actual opinion of religion, you need to know your facts. Right now I am actually not saying I'm Atheist or Catholic, i am just keeping clear of any discussions of religion.

haha a little about my situation

Fuyu

I'm atheist, but only few persons know about it. Including my Christian friend.
She always trying to make me believe that Bible is always right and stuff, but I ignore it.
Of course its easy since shes not going to fight with me because I don't believe.
And in Finland you are not looked weirdly if you say you are an atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back