• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

One thing i didnt like

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

yamibakura95

Awards
Is that KH3 had really profound sequel baiting during the maingame. Subject X, nameless star, black box, Marluxia and Larxene's connection to keyblade war. The other main KH games sure had teasers in them but those were done during the secret ending. There were no uresolved plot points.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Didn't really mind the sequel baiting myself. Kind of liked that Nomura set up a lot of plot points in advance to give us things to speculate about for Phase 2

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I actually liked the sequel baiting since it makes me really look forward to phase 2 and I liked the small references to Union X as well since I was trying to get up to date with Union X plot before KH3 released so it was good to see it hinted at in some way. Although Union X didn’t have as big as a presence as I thought it would have in the game I’m still glad I caught up with the plot before KH3 as in my opinion it added more meaning to some of the things that happened or were said in KH3.

yamibakura95

Awards
I actually liked the sequel baiting since it makes me really look forward to phase 2 and I liked the small references to Union X as well since I was trying to get up to date with Union X plot before KH3 released so it was good to see it hinted at in some way. Although Union X didn’t have as big as a presence as I thought it would have in the game I’m still glad I caught up with the plot before KH3 as in my opinion it added more meaning to some of the things that happened or were said in KH3.

im not fan of having sequel baiting in the maingame. on secret endings its fine but doing it ingame especially in a story with already little substance is kinda bad

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
but really KH3 had no plot besides the sequel baiting
Disagree, but I do think I see where you are coming from.

The issue with KH3 is that from even before it started we all knew 100% where it was going to end up. We all knew there was going to be a battle. We just didn't know who, exactly, was going to be on what side fighting who. But knowing roughly the end game before we even started the game itself caused a bit of a strange dilemma where people dismiss (understandably) the entire first 70% of the game as 'filler' because "we all know where it is going to end up, so why is the game dragging its feet getting us there".

Now people can disagree or not whether this was effective or if they liked it, but what I believe Nomura and the team tried to do is 1) make sure that everyone was caught up on the current standing of all the characters, so that they could understand who they were/where they came from in the final battle (which is why they spent so many cutscenes talking about the hearts inside Sora) and 2) give Sora character development.

The way I see the game, the first 70% of it isn't actually focused on main story plot, it's actually supposed to be a personal journey for Sora. It's about him learning to overcome his first real experience with self-doubt, feelings of failure, and somewhat importantly: independence and realizing what it is that he wants to fight for for himself. The game is about Sora's own journey in growing up--a very different one that Riku had, but still a one that it is very important he undertook. These are all themes and ideas that he explores throughout the disney worlds, and even somewhat through the graveyard during the final fights.

For so long a lot of people were ragging on Sora for being a flat, unchanging character, so I think they listened to that criticism and decided to focus on him and give him some deeper thoughts and feelings beyond "friends good".

Where the issue lies is I don't think many of us were going into KH3 and expecting the build-up to the Keyblade War to be 90% a Sora-only focused personal development plot and were sort of missing that memo as they played through, wondering when the "story" was going to start--not realizing they were overlooking the story the team was trying to tell the whole time.

To bring this home to your larger question/point:

This is why I think the "sequel baiting" is very valuable. KH3 was Sora's journey, at the end of the day. But now he is gone and if there was nothing in the game hinting towards future development, people would likely be thinking the series is over. The questions that were raised are interesting because they involve other characters apart from Sora. As much as I love the boy, it will be nice to see other characters get some spotlight and development as well. The sequel hooks seem to suggest various places where that is going to happen and this is what I think excites people. It is fun for them to be able to speculate, or get future games about their favorite characters who up until now maybe only had a small or limited role in the game series. It shows, at least in my mind, that future plot points are possibly going to be more balanced, and involve a more ensemble role than just about Sora and his development. I am excited for that, even though Sora is 100% my favorite character-- there are others I care about as well and would enjoy learning about more.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Is that KH3 had really profound sequel baiting during the maingame. Subject X, nameless star, black box, Marluxia and Larxene's connection to keyblade war. The other main KH games sure had teasers in them but those were done during the secret ending. There were no uresolved plot points.
Not exactly... Chain of Memories made an effort for the whole game to hint at KH2, with the Organization as a shadowy group you obviously only saw a part of if you paid attention to the numbers. KH2 hinted a LOT at BBS even during the main plot, especially in FM. The scene with Xemnas going down to talk to his "friend", or Xigbar referencing TAV with "you're not half the hero the others were". Plus the lingering question of "how did Xehanort open the keyhole door in Radiant Garden?" which even Nomura made a point to focus on in the KH2 ultimania. And everything after KH2 was directly setup for KH3.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Chain of Memories made an effort for the whole game to hint at KH2, with the Organization as a shadowy group you obviously only saw a part of if you paid attention to the numbers.

^ agreed completely. Not to mention the entire Twilight Town floor of the castle giving clues about Roxas. Vexen's cryptic hints about the "other side of Sora's heart" really intrigued me at the time. Hinting at future games is a HUGE part of the series and how it has always been.

yamibakura95

Awards
Disagree, but I do think I see where you are coming from.

The issue with KH3 is that from even before it started we all knew 100% where it was going to end up. We all knew there was going to be a battle. We just didn't know who, exactly, was going to be on what side fighting who. But knowing roughly the end game before we even started the game itself caused a bit of a strange dilemma where people dismiss (understandably) the entire first 70% of the game as 'filler' because "we all know where it is going to end up, so why is the game dragging its feet getting us there".

Now people can disagree or not whether this was effective or if they liked it, but what I believe Nomura and the team tried to do is 1) make sure that everyone was caught up on the current standing of all the characters, so that they could understand who they were/where they came from in the final battle (which is why they spent so many cutscenes talking about the hearts inside Sora) and 2) give Sora character development.

The way I see the game, the first 70% of it isn't actually focused on main story plot, it's actually supposed to be a personal journey for Sora. It's about him learning to overcome his first real experience with self-doubt, feelings of failure, and somewhat importantly: independence and realizing what it is that he wants to fight for for himself. The game is about Sora's own journey in growing up--a very different one that Riku had, but still a one that it is very important he undertook. These are all themes and ideas that he explores throughout the disney worlds, and even somewhat through the graveyard during the final fights.

For so long a lot of people were ragging on Sora for being a flat, unchanging character, so I think they listened to that criticism and decided to focus on him and give him some deeper thoughts and feelings beyond "friends good".

Where the issue lies is I don't think many of us were going into KH3 and expecting the build-up to the Keyblade War to be 90% a Sora-only focused personal development plot and were sort of missing that memo as they played through, wondering when the "story" was going to start--not realizing they were overlooking the story the team was trying to tell the whole time.

To bring this home to your larger question/point:

This is why I think the "sequel baiting" is very valuable. KH3 was Sora's journey, at the end of the day. But now he is gone and if there was nothing in the game hinting towards future development, people would likely be thinking the series is over. The questions that were raised are interesting because they involve other characters apart from Sora. As much as I love the boy, it will be nice to see other characters get some spotlight and development as well. The sequel hooks seem to suggest various places where that is going to happen and this is what I think excites people. It is fun for them to be able to speculate, or get future games about their favorite characters who up until now maybe only had a small or limited role in the game series. It shows, at least in my mind, that future plot points are possibly going to be more balanced, and involve a more ensemble role than just about Sora and his development. I am excited for that, even though Sora is 100% my favorite character-- there are others I care about as well and would enjoy learning about more.

the main issue with KH3 is that it didnt have any original characters or villains like KH2 did. They reused previous villains and characters and whatever new characters they had planned were thrown in there as cameos, without contributing anything to the actul plot.

Well, sequal baiting ingame and ending the game with a cliffhanger is too profound. In KH1 and KH2 people were hoping for a new game but they werent that hooked because the games were pretty fulfilling and complete on their own.

But KH3, for the most part, completely lacked originality plotwise, evne BBS had more interesting stuff going on and the only original plot in KH3 was some sequel baiting here and there.

I cant help but see KH3 as a big teaser really. As a game its great, but i find the plot really weak tbh ngl.

yamibakura95

Awards
Chain of Memories made an effort for the whole game to hint at KH2, with the Organization as a shadowy group you obviously only saw a part of if you paid attention to the numbers

CoM's development actually began after KH2's and it was made in order to fill the gap between the two games.

The scene with Xemnas going down to talk to his "friend"

that was in the final mix though.

or Xigbar referencing TAV with "you're not half the hero the others were"

we actually dont know if he even refered to TAV since we know that he is Luxu so maybe he refered to the dandellions. Also, its not really a plot point like the black box in 3 was.

Back