• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Music ► One Direction Stigma

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I posted this in another forum but I wanted to get others thoughts and opinions on this topic.

I think we would all agree that there is a bit of a stigma for liking One Direction unless you're a 12 year old girl. However, they are quite obviously doing extremely well for themselves; they consistently sell platinum albums and gold singles, not to mention sell out stadiums and arenas often in a matter of minutes. This is purely off the strength of their own fan base; radio does little to support them and they really don't do that much in terms of promo on TV, etc. (Note: I am talking solely about the United States right now.)

So here is my question to all of you: why is One Direction consistently looked at in a negative way? Is it just the general nature of being in a boy band? "Comes with the territory" kind of thing? But then that doesn't explain why groups such as The Backstreet Boys, NSYNC or Florida Georgia Line being viewed in the same way. Or is it possibly how they presented themselves during the UAN era? I can't think of a single insistence that would make it "uncool" to like them during the UAN era. Or perhaps it was something that happened later on in their careers? I can't think of anything they would've done that would get people to dislike them though. In fact, they are generally well-known for being kind and giving people as far as I can tell.

My theory is perhaps people just dislike them to have someone to dislike. With Justin Bieber starting to fade away, I think One Direction are beginning to take some of the haters from JBiebs and adding them to their collection. And of course, you have the usual people who are just jealous of their success and want to see them fail--which I think is awfully selfish and silly.

So, what is your theory? Why is there such a stigma about liking One Direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back