• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

One Dark Minute - Series, comic-style based tragedy-horror-drama

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordecai

And The Hero Fails
Website
www.google.com
I'm taking out the garbage that's been piling up in my head for quite some time. I need to empty it, or this will just be another locked room in my imagination. It's the garbage ( and somehow only real fun anymore, sadly ) that I want to share. I'm going to be using a different type of writing style ( different for me ) and I'm hoping to have fun with it. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from Frank Miller for a theme, so be warned.

I'll just go into it.

Prologue

July 1st, ED54

The bar was quiet. He could hear the jukebox playing in the back of his head, the noises coming from the MadDogs' table, and the waitress asking the poor guy next to him if he wanted another round. But the bar was quiet. Every night was the same now and once he realized it it all seemed so silent. The things he used to love to hear weren't there anymore. No, they were there... they just weren't the same. Muffled somehow, like a speaker playing through a thick pillow.

He asked for another drink and barely heard the bartender complain about the ruckus lately. A scotch, with peppermint, and a bit of lemon was his drink. When it came he could only stare at it and try to hear what was going on, what people were saying, but couldn't. So he drank. Tried to listen. Nothing. Drank. Listened. Drank.

It was friday night and the young crew would be rolling in any second. After paying a tip, he walked out and casually winked at a waitress before going out the door. He had winked at her for five straight nights now and if he was lucky, maybe she would go home with him tomorrow. Maybe he could get lucky. But that was tomorrow, this was tonight, and the snow beat into his face like raining ice cubes. Behind him the door shut and the only light collapsed to nothing in the sidewalk. He walked home in the dark.

Before he got home he witnessed one mugging, two beatings, and one possible rape. But this was City, this was his home. It was hard, sure, it was wrong, most definitely, but what could he do about it? Nothing, that's what, and that's what he would do. He would do nothing. Because the world was dead and in a year or two so was he. The only thing he had left was his little girl, his little tiger. Here I come, Abigail, daddy loves you so much, as he opened the door to apartment number fifty two, and even if your mommy wasn't a whore she wouldn't love you as much as I did no one ever will.

Colder than usual. The air was thick. Abigail didn't like it thick, in fact he had to get her to close the windows before she left for school because the place would get so freezing, funny little Abigail and her hot flashes, he wasn't sure if they existed, but he was damned to laughing with her when she brought them up and--there was something wrong here. The window was shut, the refrigerator door open, the knives out. He called for her. No answer. Please, let her be all right, let it all be fine.

Living room empty. Her room empty. She liked to wait for him in his room when he was out, so he turned down the hall after tossing the blankets on her bed around. His room was dark. Darker than usual, and in here it was colder than it was outside. Stuffy. Thick air. Once hot, but now used up and no longer being used. The smell was that of the hospital, something that smelled like clothes worn but not dirty and rubber. No, rubber wasn't quite right. It smelled like old milk.

The lights didn't work. Neither did he, because he stood still for at least five minutes. Finally he called her name but there was no answer. Where was she? Was this a game? The train screeched by downstairs and the lights flickered on. There she was. Oh, Abigail, only sleeping.... Sleeping and waiting for her daddy. What a good girl. I love you, tiger.

He went to her, kneeled, picked her up. Put her to bed, fighting to see where he was going because he was crying. Everything was blurry. When he set her down he left to the bathroom to cry some more, maybe cut himself again because that always made himself feel better. The lights came on easily and he looked down - he had already cut himself. "No.. I haven't. Who's blood is this...?"

She had lolled onto the floor and he went to her, turned her over. Her eyes looked up into the ceiling, so lifeless. He screamed, but that night no one heard, because in City, no one hears anything anymore.

Life is hard. Everyone has their own. His was taken away. Soon he would find out - it only took one dark minute.

Last edited:

tdc456

I thought it was very interesting. I can't wait to read more.
Only thing is I don't quite understand what happened in the last three paragraphs.
It was written in a very confusing way.

Mordecai

And The Hero Fails
Website
www.google.com
Ah. Sorry about that. I'm going to keep that tricky writing for the thoughts only in the actual chapters.

But thanks for the input. In the future I'll keep that in mind. Like I said, I'm trying out a new style, so I might take a little while to warm up to using it correctly.

Mordecai

And The Hero Fails
Website
www.google.com
Chapter One​

Noises from below drifted up but Eric couldn't hear them. All he could hear was his own memory of his daughter early that morning before she left for school. As he recalled, it went something like...

Abigail woke up. I asked her to close the windows and she did as told, with a smile that said she didn't forget to close them last night but did it on purpose. I snapped at her because I knew this. I didn't like it when she left the windows open. My little tiger just looked up at me, with her young, big eyes, saying more than anything anyone ever has and without one word. Then she says something, though she doesn't need to now, everything is fine. She says "Daddy, have a good day. I'm sorry."

She was gone after that and I wanted to tell her that I was the one who needed to apologize. I didn't go after her because she doesn't like it when her friend sees me walk with her. They walk to school together every day, only those two little girls and nothing has happened to them, not once. So I went to work, because I could always apologize later that night. But where is she now?

Eric looked into the sky. Only one star was showing itself tonight. A star he remembered Abigail pointing out every night since she was old enough to do so. Tonight she wouldn't point it out, but someone else would.

"That's my favorite."

He turned, only to see a shadow against a bright light. A hand shot out and pat him on his shoulder and he brushed it off absently.

"It seems that the murderer left some type of DNA on your daughter and if it's registered, we'll catch them in a matter of days," the shadow said. It was an officer, Eric knew that much, but which one of these pigs had the nerve to talk to him so casually.

"There are twenty nine people I know who aren't registered and-"

"I wouldn't finish that sentence, Mr. Carter, or I'll be forced to take you in," the officer said. Eric shielded the light with his hand and finally saw the man before him. He was short for a cop and not well kept. His face bore stubble and his hair was tucked up in his fedora unsuccessfully. A clump of it fell just over the outside of one eye and Eric thought it looked comical. As if hearing this thought, the man reasserted himself.

"Mr. Carter we'll do the best we can. In the meantime I can offer you a hotel on 7th street. City will cover all expenses for seven days and you can return home after it's been cleaned and searched properly," he said. He fixed his tie too and that made Eric nervous. Maybe because he somehow knew that the officer himself was nervous.

"Fine," Eric said.

"A cruiser is waiting downstairs for you."

They stared at each other for a while, a time that seemed like ten minutes, and were interrupted by a second officer. The second officer said a number of things, only one that Eric caught - Third victim. He also managed to catch the first officer's name; Mitchell.

2​

When prompted to leave Eric did as he was bid and Mitchell watched him go with a feeling of relief. Carter was a lit fuse and would blow at any minute, Mitch thought, and he knew people like that very well. They hurt others, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes not, but they did it all the same. He wasn't about to be thrown off of the balcony because some lowlife had a dead daughter in the other room. Even so, it was sad. Tears were filling the bottom of his eyes just waiting to be freed. Later he knew he would let them fall.

Like the others before her, the girls left leg and arm were dismembered and hid. The leg they had found in the closet, hooked by the arm of an old coat rack. In the drawer by Carter's bed was the arm with a note. Until now, Mitch had not had the chance to read it. So he walked to it and picked it up, wrapping a glove around to grab it.

Use this, it's better than your own!

Just like the others. Another thing like the others, was the acid rising in his stomach. His lunch about to be thrown up everywhere, all over the evidence. He had to get out of here. This girl didn't have it nearly as bad as the others but if this went on, who knew what would happen. Mitch left with his hand over his mouth and vomit eating at his teeth.

tdc456

So, is his daughter dead or what?
I really didn't understand a lot of it. I get that cops are telling him to stay away from crime scenes. But who died?
Because the ending of the last chapter combined with this one make me more confused.

Mordecai

And The Hero Fails
Website
www.google.com
He wasn't about to be thrown off of the balcony because some lowlife had a dead daughter in the other room.

There are more indications that she's dead, but that was the most blunt. Part 2 switched perspectives. Sorry about the shitty writing. I haven't written anything in at least a year or two.

Twilight_Path

It was an officer, Eric knew that much, but which one of these pigs had the nerve to talk to him so casually.

Damn good line, has a strong feeling to it.

City will cover all expenses for seven days and you can return home after it's been cleaned and searched properly," he said.

Perhaps I could assume from this that the "City" is quite a powerful entity?

If this is true, what delicious foreshadowing you have in that sentence. Ominous, but musty to keep the reader interested.

Use this, it's better than your own!

Hehehehehehe.

I have no problems following your storyline and general advancement of plot, Mordecai. I believe this style suits the story well, so far.

I will most definitely be looking forward to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back