• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

older games feel better

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibanez350ex

does anyone else miss the older games? its strange i mean so many buds have sold their ps4 or xbox one as they were not liking the games out. one of my buds went back to retro style n64 and started playing goldeneye again lol i used to love that on multiplayer years ago and also 1080 snowboarding. there's something about the older games, u can keep going back and enjoy them. i think alot of the recent games only have that 'one time play through feel' or that u are disappointed and end up selling or exchanging game. what are your views on this?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
nostalgia. if you started off playing ps3 games you probably wouldn't have given n64 another look.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I agree somewhat with Chuman, because there is a sense of nostalgia.

What it really comes down to is the person who plays video games; because some people may start later in playing games versus those of us who are in our mid twenties and thirties. I don't think there's such a thing as a bad quality of a game, but I won't deny there's a sense of boredom after one play through of current games like Assassins Creed Syndicate or Hyrule Warriors. Whereas compared to say Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, I can continue to replaying them because they're both familiar and beloved classics.

As much I love video games getting their well deserved sequels and remakes, I do feel like most recent games on PS4, Wii U, and Xbox One are a 'one time play through' compared to before, except for maybe a small handful of games. And it doesn't help that a lot of the new/popular games take years to be completed and released to the public. I've even listened to a video game critic on YT called 'Zero Punctuation' make a point about how often video games are rinse and repeat or rarely changed to entice players these days. Sadly, it's painfully obvious if you take a look at the Super Mario Bros on the Wii and Wii U.

Which is why I've become so selective in what games I play and why I won't bother hopping systems anymore, unless I really see a game I want to play; even though I'm hoping the ones I want to play are placed on past consoles instead of the newer ones. And personally, I do prefer older games a lot more now, because I still love 1080 snowboarding, Crash Bandicoot or heck, even Frogger! I've played those multiple times in the past compared to the games I currently own on PS3 and Wii U. So yeah, I do miss the older games and older consoles a lot more compared to what I own now. I've felt that way since the PS3 and Wii came out - when I was still favoring the PS2 the most, because there were so many great games out for it.

And I know Anagram trades his games quite often.

Last edited:

redcrown

Awards
I never understood why people spend $100's of dollars on brand new fancy consoles that are so new hardly any games are on it, least of all memorable ones. It's always lines out the door like when new iphones come out.

then again I plan to buy a used 3DS for just one game so maybe I shouldn't talk

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I never understood why people spend $100's of dollars on brand new fancy consoles that are so new hardly any games are on it, least of all memorable ones. It's always lines out the door like when new iphones come out.

then again I plan to buy a used 3DS for just one game so maybe I shouldn't talk

the thing about buying new systems right out the gate, the technology is new. there is usually a handful of new titles and maybe people want to get a feel of it, or just to be able to say they're early adopters.

in your case, i recommend a ps4. there are so many great titles out from witcher 3 to dying light, and future titles like no man's sky and KH 2.8.

i make a case for the second game especially because you're buying a $150 3ds (that's low end), for a $30 title thats 4 years old and a $20 circle pad accessory. wait a few months for the ps4 remaster for $40 that polishes the game as well as two new additions.

not to mention you can get one used for $250, the controller is the best i've ever used and its worth every penny to upgrade.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
the thing about buying new systems right out the gate, the technology is new. there is usually a handful of new titles and maybe people want to get a feel of it, or just to be able to say they're early adopters.

in your case, i recommend a ps4. there are so many great titles out from witcher 3 to dying light, and future titles like no man's sky and KH 2.8.

i make a case for the second game especially because you're buying a $150 3ds (that's low end), for a $30 title thats 4 years old and a $20 circle pad accessory. wait a few months for the ps4 remaster for $40 that polishes the game as well as two new additions.

not to mention you can get one used for $250, the controller is the best i've ever used and its worth every penny to upgrade.

redcrown, can possibly get a broken PS4 and have someone fix it up like new. I got a broken PS4 for $115 dollars or so, I have someone in mind to fix it up.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
nostalgia. if you started off playing ps3 games you probably wouldn't have given n64 another look.

This holds water for me. I started out in the Genesis/SNES era and don't really enjoy the thought of playing games before that era whereas there are plenty of people who do that are probably people that played those games as children.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Somewhat agree.

Ps2's library just can't be beat.I look at most games today and i can easily tell i'll be bored of them after 1 playthrough..but that's mainly because the lack of available good jrpgs.

redcrown

Awards

I know I should wait, but it might be Christmas when 2.8 is released. and it's just so tempting......

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I know I should wait, but it might be Christmas when 2.8 is released. and it's just so tempting......

red, trust me as your friend that you're going to regret spending $200 just for one old game. get a ps4 and something like the witcher 3 that will keep you busy well into 2017.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Well, you should've waited until they ANNOUNCED a KHIII.

to be fair, i think he, like many, was just anticipating any potential sequel to be a console gen ahead like most game companies with a sound mind, and its not like he bought it and never used it, or that III was the only reason for him buying it. like, DDD was the primary reason i got a 3ds but i never would have bought it for that game alone.

redcrown

Awards
like, DDD was the primary reason i got a 3ds but i never would have bought it for that game alone.

any games suggestions to justify possibly buying a 3DS besides DDD then?
thanks for the advice chuman. maybe I should just take it and wait for the PS4.

I bought a PS3 so I could play KHIII.

How do you think I feel?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
sailorstar-fox.livejournal.com

I might be able to name a few-- what genres are you into? or a few games/series you really enjoy?
(depending on your answer, this could backfire and i'll end up giving you reasons to get a PS4 lol)

And in topic of this thread, I wholly agree on both the nostalgia factor and feeling recent games 'lack something', rendering a good chunk of them as one-time playthrough material. That's why i've taken to watching let's play's, and then purchasing a copy myself if it appeared to hold replay value/a fun gameplay engine. (it hurts the gamer within me to do so, but it hurts my wallet more to buy blindly)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show

scribblenauts, kh DDD (obviously lol), pokemon, sm4sh, legend of zelda majora's mask and ocarina of time, resident evil revelations, so many more games tbh. im forgetting a lot lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back