• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Okay, this whole Shibuya nonesense is confusing ...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Neo: The World Ends with You having no connection to KH is what I expected honestly. So that's not something to really be mad about. Its their game, let the fans have the game they've waited a long time for.

My issue is that I feel Noruma is absolutely đź’Ż fucking with us because I do not believe him when he says TWEWY has no role to play in the future games. Either that or he changed his mind about it, which is a possiblity. But I honestly think his recent comments are just him pulling our leg

"See you in Shibuya" is what was said by Neku at the end of the Traverse Town world in DDD. So honestly, I'm not shocked when fans expect a return to that world in a future game and then when it pops up at the end of KH3 secret ending, fans immediately point to that. And when Noruma says, "Nah, its not the same one" I don't blame fans for saying "I don't believe you" because its too big of a coincidence to not have ANY connection whatsoever.

However, I don't think Noruma ever really lies, he just talks very vaguely or speaks in half truths. TWEWY will play a role in the series on some level, I honestly have no doubt about that. However, its obviously not going to be the same as in the original game.

What I suspect, and something I think many fans suspect, is that TWEWY characters are being treated the same way FF characters were. Its not the same continuity and its not the same universe. This is the KH version of this world and these characters. So the series having no connection to NEO in anyway should be obvious.

But that brings up the question of why it appears in KH3 secret ending but apparently its not Shibuya at all, its Quadradum or at least its a version of Shibuya that exists in the city of Quadradum. But it's not the same one. But thats... confusing? Why even have it here at all?

Well, here's the thing, its not the same one because it exists in another Worldline. On the other side of Unreality. My assumption was that it was a representation of ALL Worldlines, a place where people who die go to play the Reaper's game. Sort of like how The Final World is a final resting place for all souls from different Worldlines. But that wouldn't make any sense because why would Yozora or Luxord even be there in the first because they are not dead and I don't think Riku would even pop up is that version of Shibuya since, ya know, he's not dead. Or maybe Yozora found a way into the Reaper's game in his own reality, which is how he met up with Sora? But it was in different version of The Final World with a night sky though, so I'm not sure even that lines up.

So I'm thinking honestly that Shibuya will still come back in the franchise but in the realm of light, not in the world of Unreality. My question is that, so its not the same Shibuya since its in a different reality but would it have the same rules when it comes to death? So will it still play a role on that level? And how does Yozora and Stella and their story fit into all of this?

This gets a little more confusing when you bring Sora's death into the mix. I still believe without a doubt that The Reaper's game is going to be what kicks off Sora coming back, along with a little help from Riku and Kairi (i really do think Kairi will play significant role in bringing him back). But something I've always wondered though is that ...is Sora actually dead or did he just get booted out of his reality? Then Sora playing the Reaper's game wouldn't make any sense since he isn't technically dead? But still, why make Unreality version of Shibuya if that wasn't going play some role in Sora's return? Because I can't think of any other way Sora would manage to come back after he committed a taboo. Noruma wouldn't just recreate the city of Shibuya, which I'm sure he knows is connected to TWEWY, just for aesthetic and cultural purposes. Because Noruma really didn't have too and if TWEWY wasn't going to play role in Sora's return, why would they tease in DDD and why did a version of it show up in KH3 and be connected to Yozora and Stella/NotStella?

Honestly, Noruma's comments confused more then it helped settle things straight, which I guess is the norm at this point. I don't even know what is the accurate speculation when you bring all these factors into it. Plus, I'm not too familiar with the lore of TWEWY besides the basics, so I'm more then likely getting some details wrong. So if anyone can correct me with their own theories, please do.

But yeah, Noruma is pulling are leg because of course NEO: TWEWY has nothing to do with KH. It is its own game for the fans and it should remain that. But TWEWY, at least the KH versions, having no role in the story? Yeah I don't buy that at all.

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
You've pretty much already answered your own question. The way Nomura deals with properties—Disney OR FF—is by recreating them rather than adding onto their established history. The plot of every Disney world in the franchise can be seen as occurring in a parallel universe from the ones in which the original films take place (with the one questionable exception of Toy Box, which may or may not be canon to the actual films?). Same things for the Final Fantasy characters—alternate universe versions of their original selves, although with much more wildly different stories, designs, and personalities. The TWEWY crew and Shibuya are no different.

In the real world, Shibuya is simply a district within the city of Tokyo. In TWEWY, it is an alternate universe version of that district where all this crazy supernatural stuff happens. And in KH, it seems that Nomura is setting up this Shibuya to be a district of Quadratum rather than Tokyo.

In that sense, the three Shibuyas—the real one, the TWEWY one, and the KH one—are different Shibuyas, because each takes place in a separate universe. I don't think there's anything more to it than that, but who knows? Nomura could always pull some extra-crazy trick out of his sleeve.

But I think it's helpful to just think of what he's doing with Shibuya as the same thing that he does with every Disney world in the series: Copying it and tweaking it to fit this universe, thereby making it technically a different place altogether.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
^^ this, basically. Nomura's style involves leaning hard into AU variations of his characters and occasionally blurring that line in really vague/ambiguous ways. The outcome ends up somewhere between full-blown multiverse and alternate universe fiction. The works maintain their integrity as altogether separate universes but any works created by the same author are invariably connected if nothing more than simply by virtue of existing within the same person's imagination, which is the source of fictional worlds. But Nomura's work in particular is also thematically obsessed with exploring those liminal and fragile boundaries (I mean c'mon, "Unreality/Fictional World"), so it's only natural that the answer here is not super clear-cut.

I still fully expect to see TWEWY characters make another AU appearance in KH with, if we're lucky, a few subtle nods/teases that just *maybe* the two universes are more related than we think. Whether Nomura will ever want to shatter that frontier (like the walls between worlds) remains to be seen, but judging by his recent comments he doesn't appear to harbor such intentions as of now.

Those familiar with CLAMP's work (Tsubasa, xxxHolic, CCS, X/1999 etc.) will find something similar there - AU versions of the same characters across multiple works have the same "essence"/soul but are not always explicitly connected via a broader multiverse, though sometimes they are lol.

Last edited:
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
the way i see it Riku ends up in Quadratum while Sora ends up in Shibuya which are two different places. Verum Rex the game and TWEWY the game are probably going to be connected thru Game Central Station. they still have to have Sora participate in the Reaper's game because he is technically "dead" in the current version of the KH universe. of course they wont copy and paste TWEWY story to the next KH game, but they're going to treat it the same as any other world thats been brought up in KH like with every Disney world having differences from the actual movies to the game so that it cooperates into the story. NEO: TWEWY is the continuation of TWEWY but it makes NO sense to have it in the game when the story with Neku and the gang having not being finished in the KH timeline.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Outside of the legal fact that Kingdom Hearts is Disney owned whilst The World Ends With You is Square Enix owned, both franchises can exist entirely independently from one another.

Nobody was expecting a connection between Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts III despite both being Nomura projects.

Back