• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Okay but why the hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Enturax, friendly advice, try not to double-triple posting as it's against the rules. Just edit your single post if you want to add something immediately after.

Going back on this thread, I am still not a fan of this key design-wise but I disliked Keyblades before so that's whatever (though never as strongly as this one). My only fear is/was that after Road to Dawn's breaking this would've been the only one Riku will be using.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Riku's entire design is fine to me, but I don't like that Nomura not only copied his look from Noctis (I don't like copying designs in general, not because it's Noctis') but he also seems to be into... buttons now :confused: Just look at the gigantic, plain buttons on his shirt. Big buttons remind me of grannies and sweaters :tongue:

Okay, that made me laugh.

The new designs definitely are different than what you'd expect from Nomura.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Riku's entire design is fine to me, but I don't like that Nomura not only copied his look from Noctis (I don't like copying designs in general, not because it's Noctis') but he also seems to be into... buttons now :confused: Just look at the gigantic, plain buttons on his shirt. Big buttons remind me of grannies and sweaters :tongue:
Is it too soon for me to make another "X is Kairi's Grandma" joke?

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Even the Toy Story cactus? DDD:
Yes. On a micro level, I take issue with how the Keyblades over time have become increasingly cartoonish and distracting. When I think of the Keyblades in KH1, they were generally kept rather simple and elegant, and they gave the impression of being sentimental and a little bit ornamental: there's this sense that they're weapons forged from a sort of intangible magic.

Nowadays the Keyblades more often than not look like toys: fake and overdesigned, cluttered with frills and layers that serve no purpose. More is not better in this regard.

Riku's Keyblade is just conceptually objectionable to me, haha. Like I said, and this goes back to the idea of the Keyblade as being inherently magical in nature, it's just unsatisfying to me to see it present as this very modern technological reference which, to me, loses out on the sentimentality of the blade and makes it feel hokey. I don't mind the idea of Riku symbolically moving on from the WtD but if this is what he's getting as a base form...*blegh*

I do like the rest of his design though. I've never really been a fan of the plaid, but its use is subtle enough that I can appreciate and enjoy the rest of what's going on. I'm looking forward to Kairi's reveal. Hoping she'll add a bit of color to the trio, haha.

Foxycian

Awards
i like it but it's just a copy of fenrir doesn't feel special wish they stayed with the way to dawn if anyone should get new keyblade it's kairi her keyblade looks bad compared to the other's while Lee should stay with his own or give him that keyblade duel chakra's or whatever you call it the one you get in kh2 after he dies.

Enturax

Awards
Riku's is just dull and has that "modern" sense to it that immediately feels anachronistic in KH. I get that it's "technically" a type of key, but come on. There's such a thing as ruining the magic.

I wish more people were thinking like you. And after thinking for a while myself, I even started to dislike Riku's costume too; it's way out of his character and doesn't have much of a fantasy feeling... those checkered parts, ugh.

DarkosOverlord said:
Enturax, friendly advice, try not to double-triple posting as it's against the rules. Just edit your single post if you want to add something immediately after.

Oops, fix'd (not by me thou :tongue:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back