• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

oils are gay ok?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
So I took a painting class this semester, which I have to admit is rather fun, but I decided for unknown reasons to share what I had been working on.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I diddlyed up on a few things, especially the face which I might still work on, but that was a given considering it is. Still need to do the background.

Paintblot

Is it too late to reply? Sorry, new poster. ^^; Well, in any case...

Looking good so far. :) You're doing a good job using shadows to keep forms distinct so they don't get lost, which is great. Be careful in the background though, it's really easy to let a figure get lost if the values are too similar. There are a few anatomy problems here, but it's oils and you've got the pose across pretty well. That's a whole other critique anyway, tbh, and with oils it's more difficult to fix things.

Keep on going, I'd love to see it when it's finished. :)

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Thanks, it's better than no response. `3`

I actually already finished it, but I'm not completely sure if I made the right call on the background. I don't have it at home though, and it'll be a few days before I can bring it back.

Well, I did use a reference for the pose, and in fact it was because of the pose that I picked it, but yeah, there are some parts that I didn't manage to do well. Her right arm is supposed to be shown less, but I couldn't do it without making it too small (and it already looks too short). When I thought about it, her waist also looked off, but that's pretty much how it was for the most part.

Shawty

Awards
Don't worry about the proportions! We all make mistakes. I also still have problems when it comes to that, but practice makes perfect. I think you did very well actually and I would love to see the final result!

Paintblot

Um, if you want I can do a through critique of the anatomy to the best of my ability, just so you know what to look for in the future. But I understand wanting to move beyond a piece, I feel that way sometimes too.

I don't want to be that jerk who nitpicks where nitpicking is unwanted, especially because it still is an very effective pose. So I hope this doesn't come off that way...

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Uhh, don't worry about that.

I'm well-aware of some of the issues. I don't want to sound like a smug ass-wipe, but you can if you want to and it would be appreciated, it just wouldn't tell me much that I don't already know. Some of them are my mistakes and some small bits are just how the reference was.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying I'm awesome at anatomy, it's just not a particular thing I was focused on since this is a painting and it was mostly about doing the colors right (or at least as close as I could)

I would've fixed some issues, but it's not always easy with oil paints; especially when I noticed some of them until after I was done, and I had a deadline for when this was supposed to be finished. I'm not purely doing this for fun, although I did have some when doing it.

Last edited:

Paintblot

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be pushy. I hope I didn't offend you, that's why I asked before I blathered. And I understand about deadlines, a lot of pieces I've done are the same way. :)

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Oh nonono, you don't need to apologize. I realized I might've come across as too defensive.

I mean, that's what these threads are for; so that people can come here and critique the work. Don't feel the need to dance around the issue, or to pull any punches towards anyone.

Shasta

Awards
That is actually a nice oil painting, I never played Silent Hill so I can't judge on her proportionality or the way she looks. Nice job though.

Paintblot

Oh, you didn't, I'm just glad everything's good. I don't know what is considered too harsh here, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. ^^;

It's just at the waist, I think the reason it looks off is the sharpness of the torso's angle as it goes inward. It resembles the way the ribcage can stick out (or be visible) in a pose where the torso is thrust out like that. But that angle cuts in lower than where the ribcage would be, so it looks 'off' to the eye. I hope that makes sense, I'm not that good with words. ^^;

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Yes, when I said that, I knew it actually was off, I just hadn't noticed it until then, but I decided to keep it like that. What I meant by "that's pretty much how it was for the most part" is that the reference was like that.

Anyway, I decided to be gay and just do a sort of hot pinkish color with slightly mixed with a peach color; although you can't see the peach very well so it might as well just be the pink.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Paintblot

Oh, I'm sorry. I figured just in case. ^^; I actually like the pink, it brings out the reds in her skin. :)

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
That looks pretty awesome. Oils are a great medium.

Personally, I would go over the background and give it either some peeling or dripping effects, as it looks kind of plain and not very silent hill-ish. Though I do like the subtle shifts in shades for the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back