• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Official Shipping Discussion | ships ahoy | sharing is caring: fan creations (fic, art, etc.)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zackarix

Awards
Even if Nomura has an ending planned there's no way that Square Enix and Disney would allow one of their most profitable game franchises to end just because Nomura retires. Either someone new will take the reigns or the series will end because it's stopped selling and he'll be lucky if he gets enough of a heads-up to try to tie-up the biggest loose ends

But the thing is, not every series is created with an endgame in mind. Some characters and stories are designed to have adventures for as long as the creator has ideas. And then when the creator dies their estate commissions continuation novels because the character still has legs. A lot of TV shows are like this too - you never know if you'll be renewed or not so it's difficult to know if you should be writing a season finale or a series finale.

palizinhas

Awards
Regardless if there is a "planned" ending or not as long as I play the games I will continue to ship Sora and Riku because Kairi has the personality of cardboard </3
So does Riku though. He lost absolutely every ounce of his personality alongside his darkness powers. I miss KH1/CoM Riku SO much, from KH2 on foi só ladeira abaixo

Sora/Roxas >>>>>

Zackarix

Awards
Riku's personality in KH2 is fine so long as you treat it as the culmination of his character development. He's learned from his mistakes and outgrown his childish rivalry with Sora, so now he's mature. The problem is that his story didn't end with the conclusion of his development, he's apparently the permanent deuteragonist. So we've ended up with a character who's outgrown his spark and is now just the cool mature Keyblade Master.

But to be fair, it's compounded with another problem: character writing for this series in general has gone down the drain. Pretty much every character is flatter than they were originally and/or hasn't lived up to their potential. Don't even get me started on Axel. Sure, he may be more developed now, but can you imagine KH3!Axel completely stealing the show like CoM!Axel did? Because I can't.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Riku's personality in KH2 is fine so long as you treat it as the culmination of his character development. He's learned from his mistakes and outgrown his childish rivalry with Sora, so now he's mature. The problem is that his story didn't end with the conclusion of his development, he's apparently the permanent deuteragonist. So we've ended up with a character who's outgrown his spark and is now just the cool mature Keyblade Master.

But to be fair, it's compounded with another problem: character writing for this series in general has gone down the drain. Pretty much every character is flatter than they were originally and/or hasn't lived up to their potential. Don't even get me started on Axel. Sure, he may be more developed now, but can you imagine KH3!Axel completely stealing the show like CoM!Axel did? Because I can't.
Easy fix. Bring back some of his insecurities. He’s had a year to be sad and depressed about Sora. His emotional state shouldn’t be great, which means Riku should be susceptible to more melancholic moods, so hopefully this can be a gateway to some new growth. Maybe learning to be more genuinely open to Sora. He’s come a long way, but for Riku to wait until he’s about to sacrifice himself to essentially tell Sora he is Riku’s strength and Sora not realizing that until they have all died (then still doesn’t seem to believe it) means they still have a long way to learning how to speak to each other as equals.

Also I feel like Riku needs some anger injected back into his character. He needs to be angry at Sora—happy and relieved, too, but the problem with Sora continuing to sacrifice himself is that nobody tells Sora to stop it and that he doesn’t need to shoulder these burdens alone.

Will Nomura do any of this? Idk. Hopefully he isn’t so foolish to keep Riku stagnant.

SuperNova

Awards
Riku needs to learn to be less awkward with his emotions and Sora needs to stop believing that his only use is to sacrifice himself whenever someone needs to pull a heroic sacrifice.

The fact that Riku was the one to pull him out of his Heroic BSOD and yet also let him go off on his sacrifical journey that resulted in him being yeeted out of their dimension because "his heart is made up" still irritates me.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Riku needs to learn to be less awkward with his emotions and Sora needs to stop believing that his only use is to sacrifice himself whenever someone needs to pull a heroic sacrifice.

The fact that Riku was the one to pull him out of his Heroic BSOD and yet also let him go off on his sacrifical journey that resulted in him being yeeted out of their dimension because "his heart is made up" still irritates me.
It has been some time since I've played KH3, but why did that irritate you? I interpreted it as letting his friend make his choice. But again, I don't remember that scene well.

SuperNova

Awards
Not the scene itself, just the entire sense of "Surprise Pikachu Face" I got from everyone when they saw Sora fade at the end after Mickey and others explicitly made a huge big deal about how dangerous it could be and how he may never return.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Not the scene itself, just the entire sense of "Surprise Pikachu Face" I got from everyone when they saw Sora fade at the end after Mickey and others explicitly made a huge big deal about how dangerous it could be and how he may never return.
Ohhhhh okay that makes sense

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah it’s wild to me. He’s just like “his mind’s made up #wish” then spends a whole year being a sad puppy.

Like my dude why did you let him go if this is how you are going to be?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
That's true, but to be honest, both those qualities are a big part of the chemistry between the two--Sora acting silly to bring Riku out of his head, and Riku responding deadpan to Sora's silliness. The same with the two of them going to extreme measures for those they care about. For Riku, it's really just Sora (maybe Mickey?), for Sora it's anybody and everybody apparently, lol.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Easy fix. Bring back some of his insecurities. He’s had a year to be sad and depressed about Sora. His emotional state shouldn’t be great, which means Riku should be susceptible to more melancholic moods, so hopefully this can be a gateway to some new growth. Maybe learning to be more genuinely open to Sora. He’s come a long way, but for Riku to wait until he’s about to sacrifice himself to essentially tell Sora he is Riku’s strength and Sora not realizing that until they have all died (then still doesn’t seem to believe it) means they still have a long way to learning how to speak to each other as equals.

Also I feel like Riku needs some anger injected back into his character. He needs to be angry at Sora—happy and relieved, too, but the problem with Sora continuing to sacrifice himself is that nobody tells Sora to stop it and that he doesn’t need to shoulder these burdens alone.

Will Nomura do any of this? Idk. Hopefully he isn’t so foolish to keep Riku stagnant.
Now I want a reunion scene in which they fight. Like really yell at each other. And then cry and then make up.

palizinhas

Awards
Kailette honestly only works in the "she's the first girl Kairi ever met besides freaking Selphie" way because then she's Kairi's crush because she just Happened To Meet Her.

Because that is literally all there is to their dynamic. They met.

Zackarix

Awards
Kailette honestly only works in the "she's the first girl Kairi ever met besides freaking Selphie" way because then she's Kairi's crush because she just Happened To Meet Her.

Entire fandoms have been built around shipping characters who have never interacted in canon. Let Kailette have this.

palizinhas

Awards
Entire fandoms have been built around shipping characters who have never interacted in canon. Let Kailette have this.
Yeah but usually they both have some level of depth individually. Olette we literally only know her name.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Kairi also met Aerith and Yuffie, for what little that meant.

SuperNova

Awards
If Namine had more relevance after 2 then I'd count her as a friend/ally to Kairi since they did properly meet. But she's been shafted worse than Kairi has.

Back