• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Official Shipping Discussion | ships ahoy | sharing is caring: fan creations (fic, art, etc.)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just wanted to drop in and share my new song obsession with the class which fits with really every KH ship

Ohhhh I'm definitely going to write fanfic to this. Thank you for sharing!

(Dare I ask what happened on twitter? What about the sorikai reunion? EDIT: Wait, no. If this is about the stiff hug vs. tears scene, I'm happy to be out of the loop. I can only imagine the pointless arguments.)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Oh, is that what they're talking about? I still laugh over Sora's often non-responses to Kairi. Only topped by Riku's non-reaction to her being dead in KH3, lmao.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh, is that what they're talking about? I still laugh over Sora's often non-responses to Kairi. Only topped by Riku's non-reaction to her being dead in KH3, lmao.
Apparently it started with a streamer who watched the scene and was like “people really think they aren’t gay?” And then it just...exploded. People took to Twitter to discuss the hug vs tears scene and then it exploded into a full on ship war. A lot of homophobia got thrown around, a lot of soriku’s being made out to look like they instigated the whole thing, but the general consensus is that nobody is happy with the war and shippers are stupid no matter what side of the aisle they are.

But also yes I agree. I absolutely think Riku’s non-reaction to Kairi’s death tops Sora’s awkward hug tbh. It’s all so uncomfortable and I always wonder how we are meant to believe these characters have any real relationship with each other when they are so unbearably uncomfortable with Kairi lol. MOM is the first time since forever that I felt like Kairi and Riku might be friends? And Re:Mind is the first time in a long time that I could feasibly imagine Sora and Kairi as a couple.

Ohhhh I'm definitely going to write fanfic to this. Thank you for sharing!

(Dare I ask what happened on twitter? What about the sorikai reunion? EDIT: Wait, no. If this is about the stiff hug vs. tears scene, I'm happy to be out of the loop. I can only imagine the pointless arguments.)
No problem! 💖

Also it is always best to stay out of crazy ship wars on social media. People get really vitriolic when it’s just supposed to be something fun.

Elysium

Awards
^ I think I may have been the first one (here, anyway) to make that joke after finishing KH3, lol.

I guess the moment stood out to me immediately because one of the reasons I always disliked Kairi even back when she had screentime was because I remember how Kairi wanted to abandon Riku at the beginning of KH1 and then tried to keep Sora from going to rescue him at the end of that game, too. For Riku to then do the same thing and try to keep Sora from doing anything at the end of 3 felt like karma, lol.

palizinhas

Awards
Anyway I've decided the ship name for Yozora/Nameless Star is Night Star. This is what happens when one of the people in question doesn't have a canon name.

Elysium

Awards
I wish I cared about anything connected to Yozora enough to ship, but... Nope. I suppose I should be grateful for this turn in the story though if it ends up delivering a CoM / 3D-esque title for me to love.

redcrown

Awards
and then tried to keep Sora from going to rescue him at the end of that game, too

I don't remember this but it feels super familiar. Was it that text bubble she had in Traverse Town telling Sora how "Riku will be fine he can handle it"? When he was possessed by the big bad and casted to the realm of darkness lol.

Elysium

Awards
I was more referring to the scene after he gets the Gummi piece where she gives him Oathkeeper. In KH1, Kairi sometimes comes across like she doesn't really agree with Sora, but then alters herself to say what he wants to hear. Not to go on a Kairi tangent, but she feels like a totally different character in every game she's in. She doesn't feel like the girl from KH1 in KH2. With KH3 Kairi, it feels like there's less change from KH2 Kairi than the shift between KH2 Kairi and KH1 Kairi, but she does look much younger than KH2 Kairi and acts even "softer" than she'd become in that game.

WaltK

Awards
I was more referring to the scene after he gets the Gummi piece where she gives him Oathkeeper. In KH1, Kairi sometimes comes across like she doesn't really agree with Sora, but then alters herself to say what he wants to hear. Not to go on a Kairi tangent, but she feels like a totally different character in every game she's in. She doesn't feel like the girl from KH1 in KH2. With KH3 Kairi, it feels like there's less change from KH2 Kairi than the shift between KH2 Kairi and KH1 Kairi, but she does look much younger than KH2 Kairi and acts even "softer" than she'd become in that game.
I always felt Kairi’s vocalisations were especially inconsistent throughout the games.

In KH1, she sounded like an actual child, who had a playful immaturity about her. In KH2, she suddenly sounded a hell of a lot more mature for her age, and in KH3 she kind of reverted back to the middle of that road, being mature but with a hint childish naivety.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

OMG I thought I was the only one. I always thought Kairi was holding back from saying what she really wanted to say. Like there’s an obvious facade going on but she cares too much about Sora’s opinion.
And of course characters change when they grow up but Kairi’s changes feel so random and odd. Kairi’s character are like Master Xehanort’s intentions, inconsistent between games.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
its crazy how an anthropomorphic Mouse is more relatable than the humans in the game. Despite his posistion he still loves Minnie.

Guess it depends on what you consider as properly depicting love. I don't think you need to have two characters kiss on screen to know how they feel.

Not saying this to be wholly contrarian--I live for Sora and Kairi moments and would absolutely die if they added in a direct kissing scene--but I also don't 100% think it is necessary. Often kissing scenes are just a lazy band-aid thrown on when there hasn't been enough proper attention dedicated to showing the characters properly develop feelings for one another. Just think about every stereotypical action movie ever when the two main protags kiss out of nowhere just because...they are the two main characters.

Sora and Kairi have a bit of a unique situation in that they have known each other for so long, but only recently (at least in Sora's case) had the revelation that what they feel towards each other is something deeper than friendship. As in, we actually see that exact realization for Sora on screen and shortly after that they are separated until the very end of Re:mind. We weren't 100% shown everything that happened before Sora disappears (and it is possible they could come out and show us later things that happened during that period) but during that period the two of them are having to come to terms with seeing each other in this completely new light. Sometimes that takes time to adjust your mindset. I think it is actually completely realistic for two newly interested teenagers in their first "real" relationship to be a bit jittery and absolutely content with hand holding for a while before they start even thinking about kisses. We also have no idea if Sora even told Kairi he was going to poof soon--so who knows if she even had any idea they were on a timer during all of that.

While romance isn't the focal point of this game, and often does fall a bit by the wayside in favor of other plot points, there is something inherently romantic (at least to me) about the fact that Sora wanted to spend the last moments he had with Kairi, and only her. That feels far more significant to me in terms of showing love than anything Mickey did for Minnie specifically in the game (no offense to him, just wasn't really shown).

My hope is that now things between Sora and Kairi are a bit more open with each other, their relationship can continue to deepen to the point that an on screen kiss feels more realistic and built-up to (...assuming Sora gets rescued, that is). I want more, same as you, but I also don't want it thrown in because it "should" happen.

AegisXIII

Awards
Kingdom Hearts is a bout friendship. That would be out of character for everyone. 😆

yamibakura95

Awards
Guess it depends on what you consider as properly depicting love. I don't think you need to have two characters kiss on screen to know how they feel.

Not saying this to be wholly contrarian--I live for Sora and Kairi moments and would absolutely die if they added in a direct kissing scene--but I also don't 100% think it is necessary. Often kissing scenes are just a lazy band-aid thrown on when there hasn't been enough proper attention dedicated to showing the characters properly develop feelings for one another. Just think about every stereotypical action movie ever when the two main protags kiss out of nowhere just because...they are the two main characters.

Sora and Kairi have a bit of a unique situation in that they have known each other for so long, but only recently (at least in Sora's case) had the revelation that what they feel towards each other is something deeper than friendship. As in, we actually see that exact realization for Sora on screen and shortly after that they are separated until the very end of Re:mind. We weren't 100% shown everything that happened before Sora disappears (and it is possible they could come out and show us later things that happened during that period) but during that period the two of them are having to come to terms with seeing each other in this completely new light. Sometimes that takes time to adjust your mindset. I think it is actually completely realistic for two newly interested teenagers in their first "real" relationship to be a bit jittery and absolutely content with hand holding for a while before they start even thinking about kisses. We also have no idea if Sora even told Kairi he was going to poof soon--so who knows if she even had any idea they were on a timer during all of that.

While romance isn't the focal point of this game, and often does fall a bit by the wayside in favor of other plot points, there is something inherently romantic (at least to me) about the fact that Sora wanted to spend the last moments he had with Kairi, and only her. That feels far more significant to me in terms of showing love than anything Mickey did for Minnie specifically in the game (no offense to him, just wasn't really shown).

My hope is that now things between Sora and Kairi are a bit more open with each other, their relationship can continue to deepen to the point that an on screen kiss feels more realistic and built-up to (...assuming Sora gets rescued, that is). I want more, same as you, but I also don't want it thrown in because it "should" happen.

in KH1, Sora and Kairi had more intimacy than in KH2. In KH2, the game concentrated a lot more on Sora and Riku's relationship and Sora was made into a rather asexual shonen protagonist.

In KH3, i hoped that they would be a bit more open , i mean they were pretty open in KH1 but after that, they act like they are just close friends. After KH2, i feel like Sora doesnt care about Kairi in any way more than he cares about Riku.

Its just that i want Sora to do some gesture for Kairi that he couldnt possibly do for Riku.

Kingdom Hearts is a bout friendship. That would be out of character for everyone. 😆

it give smore dimension to characters. Lea for example, is super weird, being a 25 yo who only cares about being friends with a 15 yo. Dude should wanna have kids by now.

I think the kissing scene of Sora and Kairi will be portrayed in final game.

final game? rofl

Back