• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nostalgic Video Game Boss Battles

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
The title says it all. Whether it's from your childhood or just a couple years ago, 8-bit or anything-bit, ridiculous or challenging...Everyone should hear about it! WARNING: potential spoilers!

In this thread, feel free to share pictures, videos, weaknesses, and most ANYTHING that pertains to video game bosses. (And you don't have to spoiler tag them, if you do not wish to) What is it that makes this fight so nostalgic and memorable? Just why is it a blast from your past?
Please share your thoughts and experiences!

I'll get the ball rolling~

Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GameBoy/GameBoy Color)

For some reason, I have a huge bit of nostalgia for the boss Nruff, and his little Nelly pals. Nruff would send his little inhalable Nellys bouncing across the 3 different tiers on the screen. You would inhale one, and then wait for Nruff to come charging out of hiding and spit it at him. The process was pretty darn simple, actually. I always loved the way the little Nellys bounced as they moved!

KDL2_Nelly.png
Nruff.PNG

Nelly (Left)
Nruff (Right)

A tip: stay at the lowermost tier as much as possible! If you try to drop down a tier with a Nelly in your mouth, you'll end up swallowing it!

Kirbydl2screen23.PNG
Here's a really tiny picture of the stage!

kmorris2609

I constantly get hit with nostalgia for any classic Legend of Zelda Boss. The games I particularly end up missing are Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I can't really think of a boss in any of those games that I would not mind fighting again.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
Fruegel.png

THIS DUDE! THIS DUDE!!!! aside from traditional platformer bosses like bowser and cortex in mario and crash bandicoot... fruegel here was my first boss in an RPG... if anything gets me feeling more nostalgic I'd be lying to myself... he's the first RPG boss I faced and although pretty simple, he was sort of the bumbling yet ruthless sort...

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
Oh man that has to be the first boss in Sanic the Hordgeherg 2. The car with the drill in front.

[video=youtube;OgAGtC-HvV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAGtC-HvV8[/video]

Sometimes I play that song in my head when I fight other bosses. This guy is probably the first video game boss I ever beat.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
The legend of dragoon on Playstation 1
Hmmm...I can't say I've ever played the game, myself, but I think I've heard of it!

I'm gonna post another one~

Aaah, Whitney. The Gym Leader all budding trainers learned to fear. I lost to her so many times that I could never remember the count...
But I think this led me to admire her, somewhat. When it comes to Leaders, I've always looked up to Whitney and her Miltank. Miltank was my hero as a kid, and I had to have one of them in my party most every time!
But after your hard-won victory when you were shouting with joy...you made her CRY.
Way to go, you monster XD

miltank.png
Whitney.gif

Miltank (Left)
Whitney (Right)

Tips: Try to catch a Drowzee and put Miltank to sleep. Then switch to your strongest and have at it! Miltank' s Rollout attack gets stronger every turn that it hits, and it can regenerate HP with Milk Drink. Be vewwy vewwy careful!

miltank.png

In-game shot of Miltank in Pokemon Gold/Silver! This is usually what happened...

Shinra

Banned
Awards
you wanna hear my luck out story? first Generation 2 game I had was crystal version, I swept whitney on my first try with a level 15 hoothoot... wanna know how? Mud slap! rollout never landed due to accuracy hax

ChibiHearts249

Awards
you wanna hear my luck out story? first Generation 2 game I had was crystal version, I swept whitney on my first try with a level 15 hoothoot... wanna know how? Mud slap! rollout never landed due to accuracy hax
You dirty cheat! (Pun DEFINITELY intended)
I miss getting to teach Mud Slap to my Pidgey. It was so useful, especially in the beginning!

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I had the luxury of having an older friend recommending me to trade a Drowzee for the Machop in Goldenrod City. Also she doesn't stand a chance if you have a Geodude and Machop in your team.

~~~

Mine would have to be: Gym Leader Blue from Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal.
Red_Blue_Blue.png

The battle for the title of Champion in the originals didn't leave an impression on me, though I felt good it wasn't a nostalgic enough for me. That is until the later entries in the series.

After conquering the Johto League and all 7 Kanto Gym Leaders, you're once again left with the mysterious Gym Leader of Viridian City, who turns out to be none other than Blue! After revealing himself to you in the desolate and destroyed remains of the once beautiful Cinnabar Island, he dares you to find his Gym and take him on, a challenge I will never forget.

Once inside his gym of Lego Blocks you'll find him at the back with no Gym Trainers to step in your way. There's no need for them, Blue doesn't care for wasting time with petty roadblocks, he wants to face YOU head on right away.

His team:

Pidgeot LvL 56

Spr_2c_018.gif

Alakazam LvL 54

Spr_2c_065.gif

Rhydon LvL 56

Spr_2c_112.gif

Gyarados LvL 58

Spr_2c_130.gif

Exeguttor LvL 58

Spr_2c_103.gif

Arcanine LvL 58

Spr_2c_059.gif

Thought it wasn't a hard battle, the idea of a Rival returning from the originals(This is before we even knew Red was also in the game) was mind blowing. Beating him for one last time, really felt like closure to me. Easily one of my favorite Battles from the series.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Freaking Luther from Star Ocean Til the End of Time.

Luther_Battle.jpg

I spent 6 hours on this boss because of how unprepared I was. He was the final boss of the game, and I was like, level 70ish (72, 74, something like that). In a game where the level cap is 255, I definitely had room for improvement. I also never invented, so I just had some store bought sword.

I wasted about 2 hours fighting him. Hit him, run away. Nick him, run away. Miss him, run away. Hit him... But then I screwed up and died. So I came back and went at it for 3-4 more hours of tap him and run, and then I finally won! And I never played the game again!

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
A lot of my nostalgic boss battles come from KH1. Prior to playing that game, I’ve NEVER been stuck on a boss battle before I faced Dragon Maleficent. That entire game was challenging for me, but on my first playthrough it took me and a friend a few months. But then I versed against Rikunort. The cutscene before that battle will always be forever seared into my brain.

Max

Staff member
Awards
But then I versed against Rikunort. The cutscene before that battle will always be forever seared into my brain.

Oh god how could I forget... This boss fight made me take my first break from the game. By break, I mean putting it down and not coming back to it for a couple of months. It wouldn't have been so bad if the cutscene wasn't so freaking lengthy

MegaCore5

Awards
Bowser from super Mario Bros NES will always be my favorite! by the time I got to the final boss I was already a mini guy at this part so it was always a challenge.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Oh man there's so many...SO MANY! ;n; No way I could name them all so let's go with a series I stuck with a lot, Sonic:

320px-Finalhazard.png

Final Hazard.

Nothing gives me more nostalgia than to play the ps3 port and hear dat Live & Learn in the background. TuT

MegaCore5

Awards
another personal favorite is the Hoodstomper from Rayman 3:
320px-Hoodstomper.PNG

His difficulty was just hard enough that you felt really rewarded beating him and after the first faze you got to hijack his ride and crush the hoodlums with it!

Max

Staff member
Awards
How could anyone forget The Boss:
metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3.jpg

What an emotional final fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back