• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura's main theme

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
I realized recently that every "artist" (yes Nomura is an artist even if the gaming community doesn't agree) has a main theme that haunts him. Every produced content, every story often ends up covering an aspect of this theme even when the artist tries something new.

There is a French director who said in an interview: "Everytime I try to write something, I always end up with a character that struggles with his children. I can try to write a story that has nothing to do with it and after a few hours, I have to admit that my character still has unresolved issues with his children."

This got me thinking. Nomura also has a common theme that comes up everytime: the notion of dream vs reality. We have seen this countless times and I got the feeling that he never got to fulfill his vision due to development constraints.
Think about it: the first KH trailer has this message:
1670867488699.png
And of course, none of that was in the main title. But this set up the roots of what was to come.

Then we got the secret ending which is in a setup very different, very realistic in the world that never was. Messages appear about the notion of existence.
In the final game, we got a toned down version of this trailer which was due to the capacity of the ps2 mostly. But the messages: another side, another story was the root of this duality between real vs dream.

1670867643526.png

Then versus XIII happened and based on the information we have, Noctis was supposed to dream to talk to the deads and have difficulties to distinguish what was real and what was the dream.
I think Versus XIII was the title that was as closed as possible than his vision or the story he has been wanting to tell for so long.
In the meantime we got coded where data-sora is not real, dream drop distance where everything is in sleeping worlds, Ux (I don't know where to begin with this one).

And even FF7 remake. There is the theme about what is real and what is not that popped up in the end.
Reality, dream, death. This is the theme of Nomura and I think that with the lost masters arc, he might finally get to tell this story.

What are your thoughts about it?

D

Deleted member 246005

I work on my own stories and elements do reoccur consciously or not. So i agree with your hypothesis @AegisXIII

KH2, Days and Coded try to touch upon "what is defined as a life" with varying degrees of success.

I think FF7 and 10 do it too. For example, Tidus is revealed to be a living dream and Cloud's memories are revealed to be altered due to trauma.

so maybe 4 might get it right?

Last edited by a moderator:

AegisXIII

Awards
Ah it's true I forgot about FFX. But I do not think Nomura was involved in this. Maybe it's a theme he shares with Nojima.
But yes, hopefully KH4 is where he will be able to tell his story. Because I always felt watching the secret trailers that there were great ideas and then, they never delivered up to the hipe.

Back