• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura: Kingdom Hearts 3 Will Have Another Playable Character

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Speaking with IGN after today's D23 conference, Series Director Tetsuya Nomura revealed that Sora won't be the only playable character in Kingdom Hearts 3. While he declined to reveal who the mysterious person will be, it isn't the first time a game in the series featured another playable character aside from Sora:

"So it would be tough to introduce many, multiple playable characters, but there is an intention of adding a playable character aside from Sora. Unfortunately we’re not able to disclose who it is yet, but there will be [another playable character]," Nomura said.

Nomura also revealed that there may be more than 5 people in Sora's party at certain points in the game. Eagle eyed viewers will note that both Buzz Lightyear and Woody joined Sora in the Toy Story World, meaning they both joined Sora, Donald, and Goofy on their quest without getting sacrificing party members:

"D-Link, that has been done away with. It was actually a compromise in a previous iteration because we were not able to display multiple characters on that platform in that game," Nomura said. "We’re able to depict multiple characters. Up to five people can join, even more, multiple characters can join your party."

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i think either kairi since she will triang with lea and stuff or riku because he will going to the relam of darkness but playing more five charachter will awesome

Sonicfan2525

Awards
Hmm very interesting! I'm going to assume that the other character is Riku. I could see him getting the same amount of playtime that Roxas got in KH2.

Edit: Loving the fact that there are so many party members now!

notnow123487

Awards
Kairi side mission training for sure. If not, then it's riku. Could be aqua too, they already have her playable from 0.2. Wouldn't be surprised if you played as all seven guardians in the final world each getting their own boss.

Last edited:

ac27

Hmmmm interesting. My first guess is Riku - possibly to see what he's up to while he's with Mickey.
I guess it depends how long your interaction with this character will be.. Will it be the length of playing as Roxas in KH2 or longer?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Even Nomura recognizes D-Link was a bad idea.

Oh well. Nothing we couldn't guess on our own, but it's nice to have a confirmation.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Riku or Aqua is my guess. There are quite a bit of characters to choose from however.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I would love some innovation when it comes to playable characters, but I kinda can't imagine we will play as Sora and e.g. Kairi but not Riku. Hmmm.

sorayahya

One possibility could be that in Kingdom Hearts 3 there would be a multiplayer mode and so the other playable character would beOne possibility could be that in Kingdom Hearts 3 there would be a multiplayer mode and so the other playable character would be an Avatar you create. I would see it as a too far fetched idea seeing as to how more and more games are trying to use all the content they created for the game to be reused in a multiplayer mode that would extend the game beyond the story mode. Final fantasy XV are doing that.
And maybe you would also have some connection with KHUX game where you would share some costumes and other things. an Avatar you create. I wouldn't see it as a too far fetched idea seeing as to how more and more games are trying to use all the content they created for the game to be reused in a multiplayer mode that would extend the game beyond the story mode. Final fantasy XV are doing that.
And maybe you would also have some connection with KHUX game where you would share some costumes and other things.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It'd be amazing if we could have the whole Big Hero 6 squad on the team and not just Baymax/Hiro. Now we might even get Flynn/Rapunzel on the team. I love that this game is widening the KH standard. We've only ever known the MAIN character being in our party, but now even the side characters can possibly join.

DefiantHeart

Awards
I'd love it to be Kairi, and with the option to play as her from the start over Sora if chu want, like with bbs... but I know that's not going to happen, lol. If Kairi is playable, it will probably be a minor part. Probably Riku most likely like everyone's saying.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Riku, Kairi, or Aqua sounds the most likely if its just one. I would like some multi-player mode in this game eventually, even if its made post development like FFXV. But only if I get to play as all the Disney party members as well lol. Especially since there seem to be so many of them.

On that note, that 100% sounds like its in reference to Big Hero 6. I actually wonder if thats part of why we didn't see it. I expect Honey, Wasabi, Fred, and Gogo could all be party members on top of Baymax. And Hiro can't do crap except ride Baymax but thats okay lol.

Do we expect them to nerf the party members badly because of this? I think more enemies are present than ever as well at least. But their AI doesn't seem amazing still as far as I can tell. They rarely seem to do anything but smack Heartless by themselves. I hope this isn't the case. I understand Sora needs to be most powerful, but I like my friends to feel decently strong as well.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Any answer except Kairi is wrong. Riku? He's had 3 games already. Young Xehanort? & what's he even gonna do, fart around a castle until he grabs a key? Aqua? Been there done. Mickey? Well ok, I would love a full fledged Mickey scenario honestly. But no, Kairi is LOOOOOONG overdue here.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Tbh, I want it to be Kairi or Aqua. Honestly, I think Aqua could actually make a fantastic Party Member on Sora's team for the second half of the game (or whenever she is rescued) and have the option to be playable whilst we have a separate scenario of sorts for Kairi (but worked into the Sora campaign ala how Sora and Riku could switch off in DDD).

But that would technically be TWO additional playable characters, not one, so maybe not. But yeah, Kairi really should be the top choice. I love ma boi Riku, and I would love me some more Aqua, but holy shit does Kairi need the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back