• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura: I do feel a little sad when I think some characters will probably never appear ever again

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blank points

Awards
Oh man. That comment about some characters not appearing again is a bit worrying. Then again though, it could easily apply to many characters in this series. Seeing as KH3 is going to have as many characters as it is, it may mean alot of the side characters like ATW's apprentices, The Organization members, and so on. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the main characters have their stories finished as well.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
None of you want to see Yen Sid in action? At least once? I always wanted him and Xehanort to have a one on one duel in KH3, lol.

Hirokey123

Awards
You know while I think the "player" is either..

A. Hiding the name of the second playable character
or
B. Hinting that the player from Chi is going to be involved and thus the "Chi connects to KH3" element they've been talking about

This feels like a good chance to air out one of my secret hopes for KH3. For the longest time I wished the KH series was like Mass Effect where you could make key choices to shape your narrative.

With the fact that the world has already ended because of Xehanort's war I've strongly felt like this is the perfect time to introduce this kind of mechanic. Have KH3 be filled with a couple a decisions here or there that effect the lead up to the 7 vs 13 war and make it so the choices you make actually affect the outcome of the war. In one outcome we'll get to see Xehanort's war destroy light and the world, exactly as the MoM saw it. But in the other outcome we actually manage to change unchangeable future and create a world where Xehanort loses and light prevails.

I mean we're told time can't be changed that destiny is set in stone, but nothing has ever said that KH doesn't have branching timelines where simultaneous futures exist in parallel. Alternatively we could pull a FFXIII, where there is only one timeline/fate for our characters but we do something to actually change the unchangeable creating the first timeline branch and opening the door to time spinning wildly out of control as it starts to branch all over the place.

It opens the door for so much potential, if KH is going to poke the bear with the introduction of general time travel might as well wake it up and ride it for all its worth.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Yeah I'm pretty sure Nomura's talking about his favorite baddies, he "relates" more to them now. I can't see the value of having any of the main protagonists disappear right after we worked so hard and so long to bring them back haha. Every single one of these characters deserves to have an adventure where the name "Xehanort" is never so much as spoken, plus they help to round out a bigger universe. Team Light needs to be a more or less permanent fixture that grounds all of the games, with maybe certain characters getting more focus/bigger arcs in different installments.

Nomura's being way too tricky with this Aqua nonsense for me to feel any investment in it. He's probably setting up some sort of cop out one way or the other. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all a dream.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
Not in the split timeline style like I mentioned in a previous thread, but we could see Aqua as a Darkness if we fail to save her or a light and someone else shows up as a Darkness if we succeed? That wouldn't affect the ending if she gets saved after the battle. Other RPGs have done similar things before.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Maybe her Princess of Heart powers will actually be important here? They've never given us a baseline/scope for what she can actually do to them.

Yeah definitely! I’ve been saying for a while that her combined powers as a PoH and a Keyblade wielder should make her one of the more powerful characters. If she could hug Sora and bring him back from his Heartless form, I wouldn’t be surprised if she could do something to purify the Xehanort vessels.

The only thing that makes me think she might NOT be the other playable character is that the training world she is in won’t be playable. Maybe they just want her to already be up to par when we play as her. But I still feel like they would have had her be the tutorial character though to show us where she starts in her training and then later in the game we would play as her at her fullest potential. We’ll see, I guess. I just really want to play as her this time around.

I don’t want to say I wouldn’t enjoy playing as Riku or Roxas again, but I’d rather play as someone we’ve never played as before.

shady543

Awards
I do feel that the characters he is talking about are basically the Organisation XIII members except for RAX. Maybe TAV also since if they introduce yet another trio in the next saga we're going to have too many lol. I have always felt that Xion and Namine could also be sidelined since both of them were really only a major character in one game, but I guess it all depends on how KH3 deals with them and their popularity probably. :\

I'm just not sure how choices made by the player would turn out considering the protagonists we will play as have their own clear personality, not avatars? I can't imagine how selected options with Sora would work. Unless it can work out, I've only ever played games like this where you're an avatar so what you do kind of expands onto the character's personality. Unless certain paths you chose or what worlds you chose lead to what happens to Aqua, I'm not quite sure, but I honestly feel that KH3 should have its own set path and a cannon ending personally. I guess I don't get how us/the player can come into it since in the end it's Sora we are controlling (or the secondary character).....
I do believe the members who think 'the player' means ether Sora or the secondary player, but the secondary player saving Aqua only makes sense to me if it's Riku or Kairi. I do feel the secondary character is Roxas since he has been teased to be the biggest secret so I dunno how this is going to play out. :\

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I could see Roxas being the second playable character as a kind of Drive Form where he "swaps" control of Sora's body with him, and because of the influence and presence of Ven's heart he still looks like the Roxas we know. Maybe that's the only Form we get to dual wield in. Depending on how it's implemented, it might make for an interesting kind of tag team element; maybe there's also a random-ish possibility of Roxas taking over for Sora if you die, like Mickey in KH2.

I wouldn't mind at all if Sora was actually in contact with Roxas throughout KH3. I'd like to see their relationship develop, and it might help contextualize some of these scenes with Ansem SoD and Xemnas, if they know Roxas is awake within Sora and they're working together to bring him back.

Edit: oohh, what if all the characters within Sora are playable, and you unlock them at different points in the game depending on how "asleep" they are within him. Waking them up is the first step in returning their hearts, and along with that you gain access to their Forms and accompanying play styles. And dual wielding. I guess that would kind of disagree with Roxas being the Big Secret though, if that's true for Ven and Xion as well. But it would be cool.

I still want Kairi to be playable but I'd take this as a consolation prize.

Hirokey123

Awards
Maybe her Princess of Heart powers will actually be important here? They've never given us a baseline/scope for what she can actually do to them.
She undid the corruption of a heart to turn a heartless back into a heart instantly and she has the power to push away darkness in general. So with that in mind the idea that Kairi's power might be a cure is actually really brilliant. Kairi may have been the antidote for Nortification all along, if that's the case it almost would make sense why she was sidelined. Can't have her develop her powers and render Xehanort's most dangerous ability/the thing that much of Xehanort's plan hinges on null and void.

...Plot twist Aqua's spell of protection is going to save the day via Kairi. The light will perish and darkness pervails ending the world, but at the moment this happens the spell cast on Kairi kicks in as it senses her light is in danger. Instead of vanishing into the darkness the spell sends her away to the only place light still exists, the world unchained from this one, the world of chi. With everything at its darkest we now play as Kairi in Daybreak Town.

From there, there are all kinds of ways to write the story. Perhaps she uses the light of these children to rebuild the lost world like she heard in her story so much. Or maybe she finds the new union leader that has the book of prophecies and uses it to rebuild the lost world by summoning it from within the book. Etc... Really who knows but now I'm imagining all kinds of potential for Kairi that can lead her to saving everyone.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I could see Roxas being the second playable character as a kind of Drive Form where he "swaps" control of Sora's body with him, and because of the influence and presence of Ven's heart he still looks like the Roxas we know. Maybe that's the only Form we get to dual wield in. Depending on how it's implemented, it might make for an interesting kind of tag team element; maybe there's also a random-ish possibility of Roxas taking over for Sora if you die, like Mickey in KH2.

I wouldn't mind at all if Sora was actually in contact with Roxas throughout KH3. I'd like to see their relationship develop, and it might help contextualize some of these scenes with Ansem SoD and Xemnas, if they know Roxas is awake within Sora and they're working together to bring him back.

I’m hoping for some callbacks to KH1 where Sora would see Kairi while she was in his heart. He could see Roxas, Ven, and even Xion this way and it could be fleshed out a bit more where he actually can speak to them some.

About the proposed branching stories based on choice/effort, I’m not really a fan of that for this series. Maybe an alternate scene or two like KH1, but I would prefer that Sora make his own choices. I think it would take away from his character if we’re the ones deciding what he says or does in a way that impacts the narrative. While I’m the pilot controlling Sora in the gameplay, I like that his decisions and choices in the story are independent of myself. I like that separation of identity between the player and Sora.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
From there, there are all kinds of ways to write the story. Perhaps she uses the light of these children to rebuild the lost world like she heard in her story so much. Or maybe she finds the new union leader that has the book of prophecies and uses it to rebuild the lost world by summoning it from within the book. Etc... Really who knows but now I'm imagining all kinds of potential for Kairi that can lead her to saving everyone.
I'm torn on this idea because on the one hand I am totally burnt out on plot twists with this game and I also don't want the trashfire that is X anywhere near it, but on the other this would be undeniably badass and I would probably cheer if it happened anyway. Kairi needs to be put front and center for once, and there are a lot of smart ways to do it rooted in her arc over the past numbered titles, notwithstanding her absence from the "spin-offs."

I’m hoping for some callbacks to KH1 where Sora would see Kairi while she was in his heart. He could see Roxas, Ven, and even Xion this way and it could be fleshed out a bit more where he actually can speak to them some.
Ohh yes, definitely this. In fact if this doesn't happen it's almost criminally bad writing, why would Kairi's heart echo within Sora's but not Roxas's, Ven's and Xion's as they are awoken within him? I think the gradual awareness of them should constitute one of the frameworks for KH3, in that Sora is coming to understand the nature of his connections to other people and act on them. He won't be caught off guard like he was with Kairi in KH1; this time he's going to fight for the hearts of the people within him.

And yeah, no branching paths. I understand the appeal and wouldn't mind a KH game which was specifically devoted to that kind of player autonomy, but KH3 is the culmination of a linear storyline and it needs to stay on track with that to deliver a meaningful payoff. It would be like reading every book in the Harry Potter series and then Deathly Hallows is written in a choose-your-own-story format. There are in-universe explanations that would justify it but not enough to overcome the kind of betrayal of expectations it represents to the audience. KH3, finally, at last needs to give definitive answers. Heaven knows we've waited long enough for them.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I can't disclose too much about the Final Fantasy characters or whether or not they'll be in Kingdom Hearts 3, because I can only speak to what's been shown. But the reason you haven't been shown any Final Fantasy characters is that there are so many original characters that need to resolve their own problems and issues. And because their issues and problems are very difficult, there just hasn't been that much space to fit Final Fantasy characters so far." When you look back on the first Kingdom Hearts, Sora was still a new character, so we kind of had the Final Fantasy characters as supporting characters. But now that it's been 15 years, the original characters are more polished than they were before, so I don't think think they need the Final Fantasy characters help as much as they did before. [...] Also, when we first released Kingdom Hearts, there weren't that many other titles that brought together the Final Fantasy characters. I actually think that Kingdom Hearts may have been the first to do that. But nowadays, there are an abundance of titles that do that, so I don't see the value of having that kind of feature in the game anymore. But that doesn't mean that I'm saying that there won't be any Final Fantasy characters. Please look forward to future information.​
Yeah see, I know he leaves it on a hopeful note, but to me this is just such a shitty thing to read. I loved the Final Fantasy aspect so much in Kingdom Hearts, so seeing it basically discarded and pushed to the side like this sucks. I don't think FF characters should just be a "maybe" in a Kingdom Hearts game.

DarkQueenHelba

Awards
Everyone has such cool theories!

I'm just worried about what will happen with the storylines involving FF characters. Nomura has mentioned that Cloud and Sephiroth would probably would not be in the game. (Meaning no they would not be.) Due to them appearing in the FFVII Remake. But they have always had storylines in the older KH games! And a lot of their popularity was kept up by them appearing in KH, I think.

I mean, when Kingdom Hearts started it was a Disney and Final Fantasy crossover. If you get rid of the Final Fantasy characters then its just a Disney JRPG. And while that wouldn't be bad it would not be Kingdom Hearts.

I love the Traverse Town crew and want to know how they are doing in Radiant Garden. And what happened to Zack at the end of BBS? While the FF characters might not be "originals" they do have storylines and plots. Some that I have been waiting on for years for resolution.

Dear Square-Enix, don't ignore the Final Fantasy-side of Kingdom Hearts. It's just as important.

Megavoltage

Awards
The player? I feel like Nomura tying to sidestep just who specifically will save Aqua.
Nomura getting bugged about Aqua in almost every interview makes me happy. I hope he now FINALLY realizes just how much the fandom want new stories from Aqua instead of her just getting accosted and humiliated even further. But "The Player" makes me hopeful. Because having Sora save her is probably the least interesting thing you could do with this scenario. If she's possessed and can't help herself why not use Riku, the expert in fighting possession and purifying darkness? Shouldn’t Terra finally fulfill his promise and ‘make everything right’? What about Kairi since they have the keyblade inheritance connection? Or Mickey, the person who’s feeling guilty about how long he took to finally help TAV? I want literally anyone else from the main cast to help Aqua besides the trio of Sora, Donald, and Goofy. This isn’t a dig against Sora, I like him, but it doesn't feel right for him to be involved with this certain case.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm pretty convinced Nomura is talking about many of the villain characters and possibly also secondary ones like the Org members (except Marluxia maybe) and Ansem's apprentices.

Out of the main trios though I would propose that RAX actually fits the mold the best since both Roxas and Xion have more than once expressed the wish to lead a normal life without the Keyblade and all the "world saving".
So I'd say if these statements apply to one of the main trios they're the most suitable choice, possibly including Naminé as well.

Depending on how far Union X goes beyond KH III Ventus will still have a role to play while Aqua and Terra are also characters with lots of potential to build upon further down the line so taking TAV out completely would be a bit of a waste.

Wallflower3582

I mean we're told time can't be changed that destiny is set in stone, but nothing has ever said that KH doesn't have branching timelines where simultaneous futures exist in parallel.

Cos that's just what the complicated lore of Kingdom Hearts needs. Parallel timelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back