• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura hints at more FF remakes in the future

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuponuts

Source

Tetsuya Nomura of Square Enix recently participated in an interview session attended by VentureBeat’s Mike Minotti. During the session, one interesting question he was prompted with broached the subject of remakes for the other Final Fantasy titles that launched on the first PlayStation: Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX. Nomura’s response, reproduced below, took the question of which titles to remake in a different direction.

“Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”

Having never played V or VI i don't know what to make of this.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I hope they make FF VI, I hate turn based combat in general so I'm still struggling to get through it (to pick it up again) but it seam to have an amazing story.
IV also seam pretty cool, haven't even started that one but it's prepared on my PS Vita :)
VIII would kinda need one if only for graphical reasons though, they're so eye taring, they were the reason I quit playing and I never care to much about that shit.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd love them to re-make V and VI. VIII and IX don't need it as bad, but I'd appreciate it for them, too. Honestly, if I don't end up liking XV, re-makes'll probably be all I'll have to look forward to where FF is concerned.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
“Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”
“we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”
“That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”
“How come we skipped over those two?”

I have been asking myself this question ever since the damn FFVII reveal.

I'd be fine with V and VI keeping the same gameplay style, but if they remake VIII, I really, really hope they get rid of the atrocious battle system and put in either something more traditional, new, or just something fun. (Also, maybe some actual character development since the only one who got good development was Selphie, Rinoa, Ellone, and Laguna?). I wants me some real character sidequests to build up these characters, because majority of the cast had personality but no real reason for being in the story. And Squall's development needs to be rewritten because he goes from anti-social, one extreme, to co-dependent, another extreme.

Anagram

Banned
What kinda remakes we talkin bout here? Both my nintendos and PS4 need love.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I'm all for them remaking V and VI. Both of those games are freaking amazing and I'd like to see them do something. The only real question is whether or not they're going to be remade similar to Final Fantasy IV on the DS or a remake ala VII...

Tempus

Awards
With my Amiibo horde...they're mine I tell you! Al
I think there's sort of two reasons. V has the problem of needing updating similar to what III got for the DS remake, but not as extensive. VI needs to be treated with extreme care as it & Chrono Trigger are the epitome of 2D RPGs and too many alternations may cause issues. The better question is, where's the LiveALive remake? lol

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd be fine with V and VI keeping the same gameplay style, but if they remake VIII, I really, really hope they get rid of the atrocious battle system and put in either something more traditional, new, or just something fun.
All I want is for them to make shorter summons optional. They were the only way to do good damage for most of the game, but they TAKE SO LONG. That game took twice as long just because of the summon videos.

The only real question is whether or not they're going to be remade similar to Final Fantasy IV on the DS or a remake ala VII...
I’d prefer the latter, but who knows.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'd love a crazy PS4 remake of of VI. It is the only numbered title I haven't played, and I hear nothing but fantastic things about it. V, meh, I didn't care for it, but it would be weird to do all of them BUT V. Other than that, a remake of War of The Lions (I know it's already a remake, but still) would be awesome! One on PS4 with full voicing acting and beautiful character models, just flesh out that story for me... BRING IT TO LIFE!

Larxene012

Banned
i prefer having DS style remake for FF5 considering the story is a little more on the light-hearted side. some expansion to story and charactesrs can be added without being introduces.

FF6 had amazing graphics, but i also feel it doesn't fit the HD remake that ff7 deserves. i prefer it to be like the DS style as well if anything but the design was so beautiful just in 2d, i don't think it needs it as much.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I'd love a crazy PS4 remake of of VI. It is the only numbered title I haven't played, and I hear nothing but fantastic things about it.

It's definitely a critics' darling, just like IX.

In general, I would argue that it feels very much like a prototype for VII. They've got many things in common, but VI can feel a bit rough at times. Whereas VII has a very strong ensemble, where even the optional characters get some character development, VI has way too many filler characters and the time spent on trying to give them some sort of backstory should have been used to flesh out the more important ones. Overall, the game is a bit of a hot mess. It shows a lot of ambition, but is held back by the technical limitations. That being said, I do think Terra is a much better character than Cloud and they're both based on the same archetype.

ToriJ

Website
torijreviews.blogspot.com
I'd love a crazy PS4 remake of of VI. It is the only numbered title I haven't played, and I hear nothing but fantastic things about it. V, meh, I didn't care for it, but it would be weird to do all of them BUT V. Other than that, a remake of War of The Lions (I know it's already a remake, but still) would be awesome! One on PS4 with full voicing acting and beautiful character models, just flesh out that story for me... BRING IT TO LIFE!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants them to do VI on PS4. I think the game deserves to get the FFVII treatment. FFV I can live with being on the 3DS, however I'm concerned if both get remade on the 3DS because I didn't like the artwork for the III and IV remakes, and they may be similar to those games in terms of visuals.

At this point I get the feeling Square is just going to remake every game in the mainline that isn't a MMO.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'd really like remakes of those titles. Trying to track down the GBA versions of those is expensive and a pain in the rear. (Yes, I'm aware they got sound issues, but with V, that's the definitive edition, translation wise, so far.) Which, even tho I have a black GBA SP still that works, is why I haven't done it. (Got better places to spend my money.)

I wouldn't mind them either on Steam or on the PS4. Oh and you're proly right ToriJ, tho FFXI is getting remade for mobile (which makes me want to cry a little, since take it from me, it's sad to see that game fall so low) which may make it not so true. ^^

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I'm afraid it'll be a while before we see any remakes of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. They don't really need to go the extra mile like they're doing with Final Fantasy VII but I would love to see them for the Nintendo 3DS.

SephirothZ

By the time FFV and FFVI do get remade the 3DS will be an out-dated system. It will probably be on the next Nintendo handheld. I would like to see FFVI get a high quality Remake like FFVII instead of a handheld remake personally. Oh well.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I'll be happy with a Final Fantasy 8 remake. Return to Balamb Garden...gosh, let me open up the OST again :D

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
All I want:

Something for FFIX.
It deserves it.

I don't care if it's a shitty side game, or a sequel, or even more out there, a remake. I'd even be happy with a freaking Tetra Master official mobile game.

It's had NOTHING.

VIII at least has revisit value with the PC ports now available [and playable *ahem*] on Steam. IX got ignored on this front, I'm not even sure why? But VIII also gets attention with Triple Triad being everywhere as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back