• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3's secret ending and future simultaneous releases

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3�s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

It's distressing to hear Nomura considering going back to the dark ages of early Japanese release just because of this incident. I myself can't fathom the idea of going back to having to be in this self-imposed blackout period for months just so Japan can have first crack. I'm disappointed in Nomura's attitude towards his Western fanbase (particularly since 60% of this franchise is based around Western animation), but I suppose I shouldn't be totally dumbfounded. Nomura, after all, is Japanese, and the Japanese have a very racist attitude towards foreigners, particularly Westerners. They see us as "other" and lesser than they are. So, it's not unrealistic that Nomura would bear stereotypical views about all Western people and paint us with broad strokes just because of the actions of a degenerate few.
All that being said, I am nonetheless elated to hear how much simpler it will be to unlock the secret ending in this game. I've always thought the secret endings were traditionally too difficult or cumbersome to unlock in the older KH games for people who just want to play on easier game modes. KH II was probably the worst offense—if you wanted the ending, and you were playing on Standard, you had to basically do EVERYthing, even beating all the Coliseum tournaments with high scores. It was a bit ridiculous. But I'm glad to see he's toned it down. The secret endings are, after all, some of the best stuff in any KH game, and most gamers should be afforded the opportunity to view it.

UltimaXOmega

Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3’s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

You think this is bad? Try being a Western Dissidia player. Also, I wouldn't start throwing around accusations of racism. A bit much there.

furusatoe

Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3’s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

I think most of you are kinda jumping the gun here. Nomura is speaking off the cuff at a particularly stressful time, compounded by the leak fiasco. He is not going to be the unilateral decision-maker when it comes to future release schedules. I'd be pretty surprised if SE reverts back to a non-global release model. And until solid evidence surfaces that makes me believe they will, there's no reason getting upset about it. Let's see what they do with FFVIIR.

Xagzan

Awards
Re: Nomura discusses unlocking KINGDOM HEARTS 3�s secret ending and future simultaneous releases

I mean, I don't know what the whole incident has to do with simultaneous release but ok.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I think most of you are kinda jumping the gun here. Nomura is speaking off the cuff at a particularly stressful time, compounded by the leak fiasco. He is not going to be the unilateral decision-maker when it comes to future release schedules. I'd be pretty surprised if SE reverts back to a non-global release model. And until solid evidence surfaces that makes me believe they will, there's no reason getting upset about it. Let's see what they do with FFVIIR.

If KH hadn’t already had a history of delayed western releases and Nomura’s propincity for reactionary actions, I think people wouldn’t be so worried. Since there is a long, long history of them snubbing the west, I think people’s reactions are in line. Not the line about Nomura being racist. That was out of line.

Rather, just the idea that Nomura could and would do something like this is worrying to fans in the west who are feeling just as stressed as Nomura. He shouldn’t make sweeping statements like that if he is in an upset state of mind. Instead it’s just undoing the goodwill that was built up over the last few months.

KHFan91

Yeah, let's all blame Nomura... He's the scapegoat creator within Square Enix, after all.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, let's all blame Nomura... He's the scapegoat creator within Square Enix, after all.

Mm, I mean we can also blame SE but the words came out of Nomura’s mouth. Who else are we to blame for his statements but the person who said the statement? Nobody told Nomura to publicly say that because of this leak, they are reconsidering simultaneous launches. He did that on his own. His interviews with Famitsu are usually pretty candid.

It goes without saying that people definitely blame the leakers, but when the director is making a pretty big statement that punishes an entire region based on the actions of a few people, where do you think people are people going to turn their frustrations?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

There's no scapegoating here. Nomura himself not only made a terrible statement that's a slap in the face to the western fans and utterly disregards them and their hard work in keeping the fire under control. But could very well try to punish those innocent fans due of the actions from a couple assholes who aren't even part of the fandom.

Everyone has the right to be angry with Nomura.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

I wonder how the Mouse and his people feel about that statement.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I wonder how the Mouse feels about that statement.

They probably don’t care. They never cared before when we were all sitting for months waiting for these games to drop.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

It's a fresh wound stemming from a title culminating 17 years of devotion. Hopefully, time will change this rash stance.

That being said, I'm glad Goldpanner was able to share this interview with us. I really had no clue that down to the final script and mere item words Nomura tasked himself with all of that post-KH2 (which has some of my least favorite writing). I thought he might have been taking too much credit, but the team is really that small and tight-knit in that regard.

I'm sure I'll breeze through my obligatory standard difficulty playthrough, so it's nice to see it'll be relatively easy to meet the secret ending criteria.

And Fave Deputy > Infinity Badge for sure.

mriku90

Awards

I don't buy what he's saying. I'm not concerned at all, and if it goes Digital worldwide with us getting another release then I guess I'll buy two KH4's because I want to continue to support my favorite game series.

I think he's just speaking from a state of high emotion and stress and he didn't even say he was for sure doing it. Let's just see how FF7 Remake goes and also I imagine the future of KH title whether it's KH4 or something else will also be in development by a year or two from now.

Cause a core Kingdom Hearts title always releases almost tevery 3 years.

KH2 AND BBS - 2006/2009
BBS AND DDP - 2009/2012
DDP KH2.8- 2012/Jan 2018

KH3 did not go into development until 2013.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I don't buy what he's saying. I'm not concerned at all, and if it goes Digital worldwide with us getting another release then I guess I'll buy two KH4's because I want to continue to support my favorite game series.

I think he's just speaking from a state of high emotion and stress and he didn't even say he was for sure doing it. Let's just see how FF7 Remake goes and also I imagine the future of KH title whether it's KH4 or something else will also be in development by a year or two from now.

Cause a Kingdom Hearts title always releases every 3 years.

A KH game released every year since 2006 until 2.5. That’s not every three years.

He’s stressed, rightfully so, but this series had never had a “simultaneous” release until KH3. It’s not hard for them to step back from that if Nomura and SE Japan feels that is the best course of action in their eyes. It would be easier than breathing to them because it’s no skin off of their backs. The only thing that would stop them is the fact that the west does indeed make them more money than Japan for console titles.

It’s fine if you aren’t concerned, but I think it is naive to believe that Nomura said this just out of stress alone. This series has always given the middle finger to western fans. It took years for us to finally get the Final Mix games, and years for us to start getting KH merchandise and it still is an upward battle for fans in the west to get certain things. People had to complain for half a year before we found out we were truly getting the Pro console, and that was the same day it went on sale. UX still treats Global fans like trash.

These feelings people have are not just reactions to Nomura being reactionary. This is from years of mistreatment by SE.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

So Nomura's solution to everyone having the potential to be spoiled early (if they had sought out leaked information) is to guarantee that everyone outside Japan gets spoiled early next time around? Yeah, okay......

mriku90

Awards

A KH game released every year since 2006 until 2.5. That’s not every three years.

He’s stressed, rightfully so, but this series had never had a “simultaneous” release until KH3. It’s not hard for them to step back from that if Nomura and SE Japan feels that is the best course of action in their eyes. It would be easier than breathing to them because it’s no skin off of their backs. The only thing that would stop them is the fact that the west does indeed make them more money than Japan for console titles.

It’s fine if you aren’t concerned, but I think it is naive to believe that Nomura said this just out of stress alone. This series has always given the middle finger to western fans. It took years for us to finally get the Final Mix games, and years for us to start getting KH merchandise and it still is an upward battle for fans in the west to get certain things. People had to complain for half a year before we found out we were truly getting the Pro console, and that was the same day it went on sale. UX still treats Global fans like trash.

These feelings people have are not just reactions to Nomura being reactionary. This is from years of mistreatment by SE.

While yes you are absolutely correct I highly highly doubt this means no more KH titles for the west. I mean Disney is literally a western created company and not to mention we make the majority of the profit for this franchise. I don't see this becoming a DQ situation or anything.

BTW this is not me suggesting you said something like that, but I just think we should wait for what happens with FF7 R.

As for the wait for the next one I imagine it will be in development in a year or two especially if it sells well which it will cause KH is the series right behind FF as most beloved creations from SE and Disney doesn't have any video game series of their own and they know now the passion and popularity behind KH.

2009 was 358/2 Days
2010 was BBS
2011 was Recoded
2012 was DDD
2013 was KH3 being announced for development.
then each year we got re-releases of the series on tteh PS3 and PS4.
2018 was 2.8
2019 is KH3.

Now since this is the finale of the Xehanort I don't see there being a side title just KH4 I imagine which will be on next gen consoles I imagine. The secret movie and epilogue I hope will explain somethings and hopefully the set up for the future is great.

Aquamine-Amarine

Sora thinks it is necessary to bring Roxas back because Roxas has his own heart, because there's someone waiting for him (Axel)...

This should make me happy because I love their friendship, but all I feel is disgust because I know the delusional shippers will take it the wrong way. They've ruined all the wonderful friendships in KH.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

This should make me happy because I love their friendship, but all I feel is disgust because I know the delusional shippers will take it the wrong way. They've ruined all the wonderful friendships in KH.

Yeah, none of that in this thread.

maximumlight8

Awards

it's a bit insulting to think like that, considering how large the west fanbase for KH is, it's quite sad he blames us for nothing. It's dumb when KH games are months apart for release, it just makes me usually get the JP version of the game. A sad reality we have to face that we likely won't get a WW release anymore.

There's no way they wouldn't anticipate this happening, they should have had extra secured things in place for the game. The game was obtained from a walmart distribution center because the copies had the art card. That art card is a Walmart exclusive. Smh, I feel bad for nomura, but not even he got it all right.

There were leaks in the UK, they were the ones who did all the major leaks. It really is a kick in the teeth to the west, and I lost a bit of respect for him basically acting like the West is the only reason it got leaked. Japan has a ton of patriotism for their country, and I know these people worked so hard.

It's just this game is possibly the most anticipated game of the decade, and it's unrealistic for it to not leak.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I don't recall the interview having anything to do with shipping stuff, not to mention it is an entirely separate can of worms to actual content from the game.
---

After re-reading the interview I do think that in the last part about the leaks incident Nomura is overreacting and barking up the wrong tree.
The simultaneous world-wide release (which strictly spoken isn't even really one because Japan has it already while other regions need to wait 4 more days) isn't the issue.
The issue is why some western retailers do have the game in their stock this far before the release date and no security measures in place to prevent theft.
Why weren't the copies sealed and locked away until release day? If SE has bones to pick they should do it with those whose negligence made this disaster possible in the first place.
Or check up on why copies were delivered already this early.

This is clearly a case of understandable anger being directed at the wrong party and he should certainly be made aware of it.
I do get Nomura has been under much stress during the last few years, especially when resources originally assigned to him were often taken by upper echelons to play firefighters in failures of other parts of the company like i.e. the original FF XIV and the whole XIII trilogy but all sympathy for that cannot justify blaming innocents for bad things happening they had no part in.

Does he believe that such an incident is impossible to happen in Japan?
Nothing of all this has to do with a majority of the western fanbase which more often than not even does better damage control of incidents than the official western Square departments do.

Nonetheless I do appreciate Nomura being less vague on some of the story elements that are important in KH III which are asked about in this interview and also being clear on the requirements for the secret ending.

Awards

1. Nomura, you frustrating man, there was the thief leaking content who stole copies, and then somebody who managed to get one of the copies and gave it to somebody who decided to leak it. THATS TWO PEOPLE. Why is the response to this “NO SIMULTANEOUS RELEASES EVER AGAIN”? That ain’t it, chief.

2. Oh, so I can blame Nomura for everything I dislike about KH and definitely everything in KH3 I know I’ll dislike c:

3. #yeahk whatever

God, I’ll never not be salty. I’m mad right now so I’ll come back and say something positive when I’m not heated.

I just find it interesting that he says he’d reconsider doing a WW simultaneous release for future games likes that’s even his call.

And I honestly don’t understand how that even has to do with the game being leaked... it would’ve been possible for it to leak as well even if it released in Japan far ahead than the rest of the world.

And also, it didn’t help that they had the game go gold well over 2 months before the release date, so it was basically just sitting there for a long time

Back