• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura discusses Keyblade Transformations, Tangled, KH3's ending progress and more with Famitsu

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

In this week's issue of Famitsu, Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura discusses the evolution of the gameplay systems, the newly-revealed Tangled world, the impressive power of the Unreal Engine 4, the progress of the ending and secret movie, and tons more as Kingdom Hearts 3 moves forward in its development. Check out the translation of this interview below:

Thanks to Zephyr & Goldpanner for the translation!

Director Tetsuya Nomura Interview

The ending and the secret movie are now under consideration
The stories are slowly coming together.

-- Finally, new information has been revealed during E3 2015. We see Sora with a new outfit and in regards to the illustration style, I think the direction with the ‘Kingdom Shader’ has been refined.

Nomura: It became substantial enough for me to be able to show it. However, in regards to each world in KINGDOM HEARTS, the shader may be different and they will be adjusted accordingly.

-- In the trailer, a young Xehanort and Eraqus made an appearance. It's a conversation revealed previously from the opening of KH3, isn't it?

Nomura: Yes. It plays at the opening. We showed you a part of this conversation between the two of them that forsees the future. A young Xehanort also appeared in KH3D, but this conversation happened before that. Eraqus is younger than Xehanort, so he is still somewhat childlike. The two of them studied under the same Master and trained as Keyblade Wielders.

-- From what we have seen in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, it seems Sora and his friends are gathering the Guardians of Light?

Nomura: It will be something like that. Sora and his friends are going on a new journey, immediately after KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. Also, in KINGDOM HEARTS χ and KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ, it will begin to significantly involve Sora’s fate.

-- So immediately after KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. I definitely won’t miss out on KINGDOM HEARTS χ and KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ. The new world that contains Rapunzel’s tower has received great feedback at E3.

Nomura: The Osaka development team wants to challenge themselves with Rapunzel’s hair. They are saying they want to use her hair for combat and it seems that the creators of Rapunzel are acknowledging our efforts.

-- A Disney creator endorsed it!

Nomura: Previously, I was dealing with classic works. This time, I have adopted a relatively new work. It’s so I can directly see the people who have been involved in that series. There are many times we have exchanged words while producing it so it can be represented more accurately.

-- Other than the new world for Rapunzel, what other new worlds are there?

Nomura: Wait for more information in the future. There are a number of worlds that will delight everyone. Please look forward to it.

Battles are more bold and refreshing.

-- We would like to ask you about the action. In the trailer, battles scenes are quite flashy and more bolder than the ones in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. It left me an impression that I will really enjoy it.

Nomura: As an action game there is much more you'd want to do. You can move seamlessly in the map, and you can do the flashy actions that were shown in the trailer.

-- There were large amounts of enemies and the special effects have come out smoothly.

Nomura: It’s not unusual for the implementation of free-run (laughs) There will be things that will be beyond reach with jump and free-run, traditional abilities such as glide will be there of course.

-- I don’t know if I should be worried if their mobility is too extreme.

Nomura: We have followed the base from KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. It certainly received opinions that there was too much freedom and difficult to control. From new found experience, it is divided into a new flow of action so we have realized this “bold action”.

-- The system seems to have evolved. In collaboration with Donald and Goofy, it seems it’ll become part of the battle system than ever before. The enemies also show signs of cooperating with each other.

Nomura: This time, we showed the three pushing back the enemies and blowing them away. Not only that, it is possible to protect yourself using this gimmick. For the enemies, when many of them appear, their AI becomes elaborate and their personality comes out heavily.

-- Also, the different variations of the Keyblade are very eye-catching in battle. Obtaining the true power of a master, is this the reason for these sudden amazing transformations?

Nomura: There will be a neat story that will explain about it. It is possible to do it in the beginning of the game. You can transform the Keyblade if conditions are met and there are several transformation stages. When Sora’s Keyblade has been changed into a particular form, you will be able to use its form specific abilities.

-- It seems like the KINGDOM HEARTS II’s Drive Forms and Keyblade transformations were merged. How many kinds of forms will there be?

Nomura: It is a system that has evolved from KINGDOM HEARTS II and it is somewhat close to it.

-- I see. For each form, it seems likely the gameplay changes.

Nomura: In addition to the Keyblade transformations for Sora, it becomes possible to maneuver using specific forms and actions. There will be many battle choices. Take whatever strategy, it will be up to the player. Of course, for those who button mash will have an exhilarating experience but for those who want technical fights will also find fun making combinations. In addition to the Keyblade transformations, there is still the Attraction Flow to be appreciated.

There will be a secret movie!?

-- I’m surprised all these elements can be fitted. This is achieved by the large power of Unreal Engine 4?

Nomura: In fact, using Unreal Engine 4, the tools and features used to make the unique representation of KINGDOM HEARTS has expanded greatly.

-- So the power comes from the game’s engine you have used.

Nomura: Through the expansion of the engine, we were able to elaborately devise fine and subtle expressions in motion and we are continuing to adjust this.

-- Yes, I want to play it soon! How is the current progress of the production?

Nomura: We are steadily progressing and deciding what to do with the ending… as well as considering content for the secret movie.

-- Hmm? So the Dark Seeker saga is coming to a close. And the fact that there is a secret movie…

Nomura: I’ll leave that to your imagination (laughs). Since there are still opportunities for us to publish information this year, in response to the reaction from E3, I am considering how much information I should show. It’ll be a while until it happens, please wait.

To stay up-to-date on all of the latest news about Kingdom Hearts 3 & Kingdom Hearts Unchained X, follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitterTumblr and Google+!

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Re: Nomura discusses Keyblade Transformations, Tangled, KH3's ending progress and more with Famitsu!

You know, I've seen a lot of people make fun of Famitsu because of how they rate games, but their interviews always seem to be some of the most spot-on ones. Especially since this one actively and constantly acknowledges and references 3D. How many American articles kept talking about KH2 and only KH2?

That being said, the fact Nomura didn't correct the interviewer on Drive Forms living on in the transformations makes me happy. Those already look much more fascinating then bringing back the Drives (excluding Limit because damn, I loved that outfit). Also, for anyone who still doubted than Rapunzel wouldn't be a party member, I feel like this can close the door on that account. Glad to see the team wants the hair to be included in combat as much as a lot of people on here do.

Also glad I was right and stating Twilight Town Sora looked different than Tangled Sora in the trailer. Evidently, they did use the Shader in there (and also may be why some thought Sora looked so odd).

Although Nomura just confirmed KH3 opening Xehanort is younger than 3D Xehanort. Which makes no sense. I just... what?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: Nomura discusses Keyblade Transformations, Tangled, KH3's ending progress and more with Famitsu!

I find it interesting how they're adjusting the gameplay so that you can button mash or be more strategic if you choose to do so. It's so different in comparison to the button-holding debacle of FFXV.

Although Nomura just confirmed KH3 opening Xehanort is younger than 3D Xehanort. Which makes no sense. I just... what?

Will certainly be interesting to see how he explains that.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

-- In the trailer, Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus appeared. With the conversation being heard before, it looks like it takes place in the beginning of KINGDOM HEARTS III.

Nomura: Yes. It starts at the beginning. You can see that a part of the conversation foreshadows the future. While Young Xehanort has appeared in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, this conversation took place before those events. Since Eraqus is younger than Xehanort, he is somewhat childish. These two were under the apprenticeship of their Master as Keyblade wielders.
If I'm reading this right this means the scene with him and Eraqus takes place before meeting Ansem SoD and leaving Destiny Islands? Or is he just stating the scene takes place before DDD?

-- From what we have seen in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, it seems Sora and his friends are gathering the Guardians of Light?

Nomura: It will be something like that. Sora and his friends are going on a new journey, immediately after KINGDOM HEARTS 3D. Also, in KINGDOM HEARTS χ and KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ, it will begin to significantly involve Sora’s fate.
Everything already revolves around Sora so the χ's being involved with him too isn't really surprising. But I'm still interested by this I guess.

An okay interview. I like that we've been getting so many, though. Constant news keeps me positive.

Last edited:

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

I find it interesting how they're adjusting the gameplay so that you can button mash or be more strategic if you choose to do so. It's so different in comparison to the button-holding debacle of FFXV.

There are two possble, three if we count change in design :

1) Xehanort before he got the Keyblade we know well of.

2)There's more to him becoming a Apprentice than we know.

Anagram

Banned

Maybe we'll finally see an end to people wanting this game months after KH3 now.

I guess Eraqus being younger than Xehanort makes sense given their older ages in BBS. The transformations being something you have to activate is good to hear. Hopefully it's something you can ignore altogether should it be unsuited to your style. (unlike those damned command styles of BBS)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Tabata: "I'm too much of an old man to press buttons just hold it or something"
Nomura: "PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS! DO ALL THE THINGS!"

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards

Pretty sure Nomura means that the conversation between Eraqus and Young Xehanort takes place before DDD, not necessarily before Young Xehanort starts time-traveling.

Lutchi

You know, I've seen a lot of people make fun of Famitsu because of how they rate games, but their interviews always seem to be some of the most spot-on ones. Especially since this one actively and constantly acknowledges and references 3D. How many American articles kept talking about KH2 and only KH2?

That being said, the fact Nomura didn't correct the interviewer on Drive Forms living on in the transformations makes me happy. Those already look much more fascinating then bringing back the Drives (excluding Limit because damn, I loved that outfit). Also, for anyone who still doubted than Rapunzel wouldn't be a party member, I feel like this can close the door on that account. Glad to see the team wants the hair to be included in combat as much as a lot of people on here do.

Also glad I was right and stating Twilight Town Sora looked different than Tangled Sora in the trailer. Evidently, they did use the Shader in there (and also may be why some thought Sora looked so odd).

I believe thats a translation error, since he said already drive froms are considered to come back, would be stupid to merged them with keyblade transformations

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I believe thats a translation error, since he said already drive froms are considered to come back, would be stupid to merged them with keyblade transformations

He didn't say they were coming back. He said they are thinking about whether they will come back or not. In this interview, Famitsu has assumed that Keyblade transformations and drives are merged but all Nomura says is that the two are similar.

Nomura avoids answering what Famitsu was fishing for, and instead doesn't confirm anything.

warmaster34

He didn't say they were coming back. He said they are thinking about whether they will come back or not. In this interview, Famitsu has assumed that Keyblade transformations and drives are merged but all Nomura says is that the two are similar.

Nomura avoids answering what Famitsu was fishing for, and instead doesn't confirm anything.
he said the keyblade transformations are somewhat close to drive he never said it was going to replace drive forms also he said in the other interview that he is thinking about having drives in the game that dose not = no drive forms it means we can still see theme in this game

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

he said the keyblade transformations are somewhat close to drive he never said it was going to replace drive forms also he said in the other interview that he is thinking about having drives in the game that dose not = no drive forms it means we can still see theme in this game

That is what I said.

Lonbilly

Awards

oh well the other person did well in [h=3]Correcting Lonbilly
since he was under the impression that drives were not coming back
[/h]

There was nothing to correct. I said the Drives were currently living on in the Transformations. Nomura said in one of the previous interviews that the Drives are being considered, not that they are for sure coming back. Between Attraction Flow, Summons, Transformations, Group Attacks/Limits, and Flowmotion, we don't even need Drive Forms.

That being said, Drive Forms aren't really that relevant to this specific topic, so I'll stop now.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

-- Other than the new world for Rapunzel, what other new worlds are there?

Nomura: Wait for more information in the future. There are a number of worlds that will delight everyone. Please look forward to it.

I hope when he says "delight" he means "we have Atlantis and Big Hero 6 and Gargoyles in KH3" *3*

Lonbilly

Awards

I hope when he says "delight" he means "we have Atlantis and Big Hero 6 and Gargoyles in KH3" *3*

tumblr_inline_ndzg5mBwpC1rursak.gif

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

And about the weapons evolving with their new abilities. I believe this will be a bit similar to what Final Fantasy 9 introduce.

warmaster34

There was nothing to correct. I said the Drives were currently living on in the Transformations. Nomura said in one of the previous interviews that the Drives are being considered, not that they are for sure coming back. Between Attraction Flow, Summons, Transformations, Group Attacks/Limits, and Flowmotion, we don't even need Drive Forms.

That being said, Drive Forms aren't really that relevant to this specific topic, so I'll stop now.
but its also said there not gone ether and nomura knows there is a huge fanbase that love the drive forms and even he himself he likes to make new cloths with ability's that must say something plus he is the director

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back