• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura Discusses Keyblade Transformations and Summons with Gameinformer

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Summons are a somewhat staple in the Kingdom Hearts series, but unfortunately have been lacking in the last few releases. Thankfully it seems that Kingdom Hearts 3 will bring back summons!

Speaking with Gameinformer, Nomura couldn't exactly reveal much about summons, however he did hint that they've made them "more pretty". There has been more than just a visual boost, he stresses, adding that they've expanded on "how we're expressing it". Could this include a new form of summons - Attraction Flow?

Nomura also dives into discussing Keyblade Transformations. He first reveals that each Keyblade will have it's own form that it can transform into, and each Keyblade is different. Yes, the Kingdom Key will have a transformation! As we saw in the D23 trailer, the Toy Story Keyblade can transform into Hyper Hammer and Drill Punch, while the unknown Keyblade that resembles Kingdom Hearts Union X's Starlight can transform into Double Arrowguns and a Magic Launcher.

You activate each transformation by successfully connecting your combos, so it isn't always a guarentee that you will be going to the next transformation! Unfortunately Nomura couldn't confirm much else on Keyblade transformations as they are still finalising the specifications.

Finally, Nomura touched upon Athletic Flow, the name of which is subject to change in the English release of the game as localisation hasn't been finalised just yet. It is based upon Flow Motion, which was introduced in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. As you can see in various trailers, Sora can climb up walls or jump over gaps in ways he previously was unable to. The ability to do so is Athletic Flow and can be expected in each world you visit in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
walls*

Does the expansion of Flow Motion really need an alternative, more confusing word? Just say you've improved Flow Motion. *shrugs*

Also, I'm impressed Gameinformer is getting all this press coverage. Did IGN lose some sort of bid for an interview? lol

notnow123487

Awards
walls*

Does the expansion of Flow Motion really need an alternative, more confusing word? Just say you've improved Flow Motion. *shrugs*

Also, I'm impressed Gameinformer is getting all this press coverage. Did IGN lose some sort of bid for an interview? lol

There were two interviews with Nomura at d23. One with ign and one with game informer. Each are revealing their interviews one question at a time because they never get to interview him.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
There were two interviews with Nomura at d23. One with ign and one with game informer. Each are revealing their interviews one question at a time because they never get to interview him.

I stand corrected. Thanks yo. Equal opportunity is always best any who.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I wasn't expecting the Kingdom Key to get a transformation due to being the base form.

I have a feeling it will come late in the game rather then the start

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Apparently dual shockers got an interview too, but there's is releasing this week.

Yes, currently catching up. IGN, Gamespot, Dual Shockers, Gameinformer etc. We should be getting the Famitsu scans this coming Wednesday as well.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So glad to hear that summons are still in the game. I imagine Bullseye may be a summon?

kingsoraful

Awards
I am fully convinced Marvel or Star Wars will be a summon, like Yoda.

Marvel or Star Wars will be used like FF is in the games.

Hirokey123

Awards
I will be shocked if the kk transformation isn't dual swords. Think about it what way to continue the trend KH2 established of having dual wield almost from the get go. And this way when Ven gets his key back Sora can still be dual wielding no problem.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I will be shocked if the kk transformation isn't dual swords. Think about it what way to continue the trend KH2 established of having dual wield almost from the get go. And this way when Ven gets his key back Sora can still be dual wielding no problem.
I think they might leave dual wielding to other Keyblades? Like, I can see Oathkeeper and Oblivion.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I mean technically we have (kinda) if you count the No Heart boss in BBS.

Unless you're talking about YX :)

Edit: Actually wait doesn't he have a whip transformation hm.

YX also showed off quite some transformations during his DDD boss battle if I recall correctly.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I have a feeling that Attraction Flow are the new summons... which is a shame because now we can't have character's like Bolt, Genie and Eve in the game as a form of combat.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The idea of implementing Marvel and Star Wars characters as Summon could be a neat idea to gauge fan reaction towards implementing a Marvel/SW worlds on KINGDOM HEARTS. But with how well Unreal Engine 4 and the Kingdom Shader manage to mesh well KH with Disney, Marvel and SW in KH wouldn't look so weird and out of place.

Sally-boiii

Awards
I WANNA SEE XEHANORT TRANSFORM HIS KEYBLADE

Are transformations going to be a Sora specific thing? Because it hasn't been mentioned if anyone other than him can... granted, we legitimately know very little about the game anyway.

KingOfHearts

Are transformations going to be a Sora specific thing? Because it hasn't been mentioned if anyone other than him can... granted, we legitimately know very little about the game anyway.

Transformations have been a thing since BBS. Terra, Aqua, and Ven can all transform their keyblades.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
As can Xehanort, in the No Heart Armor battle. I think he does a few, he turns his Keyblade into wings, like wrist blades, and then just into a weird darkness shield thing. I assume Chaser means he wants to see those and more added, especially since these new transformations are so cinematic and different ha.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Technically Young was actually Master Xehanort in the DDD fight, so I guess he just has the skill.

Sorry for being the Negative Nancy, but the Keyblade transformation was something that I found fascinating when Terra and No Heart did it, it felt so... imposing, and terrifying.
Now Sora uses it and it looks like the Bros Attacks in Mario&Luigi.
Just from a """lore""" point of view, I'm a bit displeased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back