• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

No one likes Sora

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 252753

Sorry, this is kind of a long tangent but...

I was looking at the Nomura interview where he says he doesn't sympathize or empathize with Sora and relates more to the villains and thinking about it, it's not really surprising. Nomura is a very thoughtful artist and writer whose work deals with big ideas like good and evil in elaborate ways.

I don't know about his personal life but he's clearly a big thinker. Sora, whether you like him or loathe him, isn't really a thinker. He has pretty simple outlook, willing to see the good before the bad, and through the series doesn't spend much time reflecting on things, just trying to save his friends. It's Xehanort and his incarnations who spend their time thinking about the world more deeply, like a writer would. In just two chapters of Dark Road, Xehanort's clearly a lot more introspective a protagonist than Sora.

And Sora's general optimism is sweet and works well in the games where connected hearts work miracles but in the real world, it's very hard to maintain that attitude with all the bad stuff around us, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nomura shares some of Xehanort's dissatisfaction with the world. I do like Sora but I definitely relate to Xehanort's mindset more too.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
What's crazy about this ongoing desire to have more serious protags is that we literally have already seen what it looks like and it's utterly ridiculous and more embarrassing than just having a plucky happy protag. Terra clenching his fist and vowing never to fall to the darkness again to the audience of MINNIE MOUSE, CHIP, DALE, AND THE DUCKLINGS is just hilariously bad.

If you don't like Sora, and you don't like Disney, chances are there are much better series out their for you. Series that do all the things you like about Kingdom Hearts much better.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't think anyone dislikes Sora, they are just neutral or can't connect with him. I personally just don't care, he's simply my avatar.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I just wanted to say that Kingdom Hearts 1 Sora is best Sora. I love that he’s childish yet tries to do good for others. He’s friendly but also has a rude side (that Donald brings out). There’s so much charm in the first game that’s been lost to shounen trappings. While I do think Re:Mind Sora is tolerable, he still feels bland to me.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Sorry, this is kind of a long tangent but...

I was looking at the Nomura interview where he says he doesn't sympathize or empathize with Sora and relates more to the villains and thinking about it, it's not really surprising. Nomura is a very thoughtful artist and writer whose work deals with big ideas like good and evil in elaborate ways.

I don't know about his personal life but he's clearly a big thinker. Sora, whether you like him or loathe him, isn't really a thinker. He has pretty simple outlook, willing to see the good before the bad, and through the series doesn't spend much time reflecting on things, just trying to save his friends. It's Xehanort and his incarnations who spend their time thinking about the world more deeply, like a writer would. In just two chapters of Dark Road, Xehanort's clearly a lot more introspective a protagonist than Sora.

And Sora's general optimism is sweet and works well in the games where connected hearts work miracles but in the real world, it's very hard to maintain that attitude with all the bad stuff around us, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nomura shares some of Xehanort's dissatisfaction with the world. I do like Sora but I definitely relate to Xehanort's mindset more too.
You know it makes me wonder if Xehanort saw what was going on in the world today and be doubly dissatisfied. This is a interesting take, since there are a lot of characters I can relate to in KH, but none I see myself in. It makes sense for Nomura to see himself in Xehanort, especially after what he did to Kairi and all.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I just found him harder to like as I got older. He was more likable when I was 12 than when I'm 29. He's more closer to Ash Ketchum than Aang.

I can understand this viewpoint. I don't think it helps that there is little in the world to feel optimistic about. Viewing a character like Sora who has been 15/16 for over 10 years makes it hard for us as an audience to relate to him. While we've aged and grown as people, Sora is still the same as he was before.

I like Sora, though, but I understand why he wouldn't appeal to people now like he did when we were all children first playing this game.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
DDD and KH2 Sora are the only two I'm not crazy about. KH2 began Sora's downward spiral into shonen protagonist. I know that term gets thrown around a lot, but can't argue it. I'd go on but I'd just get into a long KH2 rant better reserved for the "Unpopular or Nitpick" threads. I do think KH2 Sora has some good moments, but he's not consistent. And what more can I say about DDD Sora that hasn't already been said?

But those are just two versions of him. I love and enjoy Sora in the other games. And Data Sora is a underrated treasure.

D

Deleted member 246005

I can understand this viewpoint. I don't think it helps that there is little in the world to feel optimistic about. Viewing a character like Sora who has been 15/16 for over 10 years makes it hard for us as an audience to relate to him. While we've aged and grown as people, Sora is still the same as he was before.

I like Sora, though, but I understand why he wouldn't appeal to people now like he did when we were all children first playing this game.
I think it's more of a problem of execution than him being young or optimistic. There are other optimistic characters I do enjoy and other kid protagonists than I could return to than Sora. I'd even take Ven over him because Ven comes across as charming while Sora just feels irritating.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
It’s definitely the execution, specifically how they portray his optimism. It can be said that we grew up too much for someone whose heart sees everything as “shiny and new.”

I think a more accurate way to put it would be that we’re just growing older in the real world where everything is dismal. A less accurate but more elaborate way is that he’s growing in a different direction in growing than what most are used to, or rather, it’s annoying because rather than seeing it as “childlike” we see it as “childish”.

For me, I grew older until I ended up appreciating dry humor, wit, and sarcasm, whereas Sora grew to have more sass (especially in III), which is a different approach of humor, so I can’t relate to him in that aspect. It’s really the small things.

I still like Sora though, at least most of the time.

saintfighteraqua

Awards
I don't think Nomura actually hates Sora or is actively trying to kill him off.
It's just plot stuff.
And saying Sora is his enemy is not as straightforward as just saying he hates him.
Protagonists can often be the most difficult to write and keep interesting. He has to find new ways to challenge Sora and keep the plot moving.

Back