• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

No Marvel or Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts III says Tetsuya Namura

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsoraful

Awards
When asked about whether IPs such as Star Wars and The Avengers by Marvel could appear in Kingdom Hearts, Nomura said that although they both now belong to Disney, none of the characters are Disney original characters so adding them in would be troublesome and thus unlikely.

So nope for KH3 but probably getting them in the next saga.

This is in an interview with Mobile01 BTW, Japanese website.

kingsoraful

Awards
I expect Marvel or Star Wars will come into the franchise in the next saga.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Good. Marvel already constitutes its own crossover universe and Star Wars does not join franchises, it is the mother of all franchises, it would be a joke to try and squeeze it down into a KH plot when there is literally no way it could be made more exciting or grander in scope than the movies themselves. The appeal of KH is watching it draw upon these standalone Disney film concepts and expand them to meet its grander, original storyline: there is no need to expand Star Wars or Marvel, they are the definition of expansive.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
They could still throw in some Marvel Easter eggs in San Fransokyo though. I actually thought for a while that Nomura could attempt for a Star Wars world but I guess I should have known better, lol.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yay! Hopefully they don't ever become a part of KH, but at least they're not wasting a world slot in KH3.

Leaferian

Awards
Good, now I can focus on wishing for another world that will 100% never happen: The Black Cauldron.

Awards
Good, now I can focus on wishing for another world that will 100% never happen: The Black Cauldron.

Which is really unfortunate. It’s such an underrated film and one of Disney’s most risky animated features. I even read how back then, it was somewhat of a controversy that it earned a PG rating instead of G.

But who knows? Maybe it’ll be included in the next saga of games. The Black Cauldron has become a huge cult classic. Tron didn’t perform well when it released either, but they decided to include it in KH2, so you never know...

Leaferian

Awards
Which is really unfortunate. It’s such an underrated film and one of Disney’s most risky animated features. I even read how back then, it was somewhat of a controversy that it earned a PG rating instead of G.

But who knows? Maybe it’ll be included in the next saga of games. The Black Cauldron has become a huge cult classic. Tron didn’t perform well when it released either, but they decided to include it in KH2, so you never know...

True, and I can only hope they surprise me out of nowhere. Either way, I'm sort of glad these properties won't be making an appearance any time soon.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I even read how back then, it was somewhat of a controversy that it earned a PG rating instead of G.
Haha wait really? I can just imagine the shock of a PG animated film. Weren't the '80s quaint?

Nomura never really chooses Disney films based on popularity anyway, I think he just picks the ones he and his staff like best and balances that with how he imagines the narrative will run through all of them, along with considerations of things like varying environments and keeping the players surprised with unexpected titles sprinkled here and there. I'd love to see Black Cauldron in KH3 just for the mood of it and I'm with Leafarian in holding hope for that oh so distant possibility.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

I love it too but it won't happen. Every other Disney world has more possibility then that film alone. Cauldron pretty much almost killed Disney and it's almost a sin to even mention that film in Disney workplaces. Noruma can chose those whatever world's he wants but the moment that name is mention, Disney will be like, "Yeah, no"

The Great Mouse Detective has more of a chance.

I know people have high hopes for it but until that film, no matter the cult following, isn't seen by Disney as the black spot on their record that almost destroyed them completely, I have serious doubts it will ever happen. You could say the same thing about Treasure Planet and Altantis but those films didn't make the entire Disney film division almost go bankrupt. They just came out at the wrong time and their marketing was confusing for a number of reasons. And I think those films have a much better cult following then Cauldron does. I can talk to at least few casual people about Treasure Planet and Altantis and they'll have some idea of what those films are because a lot of young adults grew up with them. If I ask them about Cauldron, they'll scratch their heads because Disney made sure to bury that film in the ground. I don't think it has that strong of a cult following to make Disney reconsider but who knows.

Last edited:

Leaferian

Awards
Haha wait really? I can just imagine the shock of a PG animated film. Weren't the '80s quaint?

Nomura never really chooses Disney films based on popularity anyway, I think he just picks the ones he and his staff like best and balances that with how he imagines the narrative will run through all of them, along with considerations of things like varying environments and keeping the players surprised with unexpected titles sprinkled here and there. I'd love to see Black Cauldron in KH3 just for the mood of it and I'm with Leafarian in holding hope for that oh so distant possibility.

I full on LOVED Frozen and many of the Disney worlds revealed so far touched my childhood or young adulthood. But if they added The Black Cauldron, which sparked my initial interest in horror films, I would basically just be shrieking unintelligibly for a while.

And like you said, Nomura doesn't choose based on popularity. If he did, then the Avengers would be in for sure lmao. Just give me that tinge of darkness though!

faemarch

Ansem's Apprentice
Awards
So nope for KH3 but probably getting them in the next saga.

This is in an interview with Mobile01 BTW, Japanese website.
The website is in Chinese, actually.

I guess figuring out how to fit the SW/Marvel universe into the KH universe would've been kind of troublesome to implement, but I'm not too bothered.

It also mentions some sort of key animation sequence for key plot points/summary of past games, but they also mention that an animation sequence is already completed for the Japanese version of the game, so I'm not sure if they're referring to the same thing in those sentences.
Edit: post here.

Last edited:

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
There goes my E3/orchestra bet. I don't like either franchises personally, but they would be neat if incorporated in a future title.

Cakeberry

I guess the shirt was a red herring! AKA people reading too much into things (but it's Nomura so I don't blame them)

I don't care for Star Wars or Marvel so this does relieve me, though it would have been cool to see a light saber themed keyblade for sure. Still, I feel for anyone who was hopeful about them being included. Maybe one day!

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I know people have high hopes for it but until that film, no matter the cult following, isn't seen by Disney as the black spot on their record that almost destroyed them completely, I have serious doubts it will ever happen. You could say the same thing about Treasure Planet and Altantis but those films didn't make the entire Disney film division almost go bankrupt.
This sounds like hyperbole, the film came out decades ago and was very much a product of its time in terms of its reception and profitability, and I don't see a corporate monolith like Disney playing into some kind of superstition that even mentioning the movie will result in the collapse of their empire. They still sell it on home video; if anything, it's a quirk of the studio that it failed as hard as it did, but any serious creative enterprise knows you take your lumps and move on. Maybe in the immediate aftermath of a failure like that you would play it down for PR purposes but thirty years later?

As for Disney movies with less chance, Home on the Range will never be a KH world.

Just give me that tinge of darkness though!
This is why I want it, we have a lot of modern Disney films which carry a specific dramatic language and cinematic energy that is more comedic and light-hearted (and, I'd argue, samey), and now PotC which fits the bill for an epic adventure world, and if Atlantis makes it we have our quirky sci-fi entry, so I feel the need for something a little more somber in tone to parry those installments. I suppose they could use Princess and the Frog for that but it only really feels that way visually, the atmosphere of PatF is not particularly measured or subtle. Black Cauldron is the only one I can think of that really feels weighty, and the quietude to its key moments is a real draw. The other one I can think of is Mickey & The Beanstalk, which also has some of that stillness to it, but that's a pipe dream too at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back