• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

no last names

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

That_one_Sora

Awards
im writing a fanfic about my experiences at prom but with Kingdom Hearts characters and im about to wrap up writing. the only problem im running into is that there are no canonical last names for the characters Sora, Kairi, Roxas and Namine. if any, are there last names for the characters? because it concerns me that all of the characters in the series do not have a last name.

Meow Wow

Awards
As far as I know, there aren't any canonical last names for any of the characters; and it's not nessarally known why. My guess would be that last names are unimportant details in the grand scheme of things.

That doesn't mean you can't make up your own though. Some people can come up with creative last names for characters that have none.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Have fun with it and make up your own!

I always wished they had canon last names, but I came up with some myself in my own fanfictions that I use. Considering that they have Japanese first names, I always figured it would make sense for them to have Japanese last names. It always kind of sounded weird to me when some writers would borrow FF character last names but if that's what you wanna do, go for it. No rules.
Another thing people do is use the voice actors/actresses last names. (Sora Irino, Kairi Uchida, etc...)

If you are curious, the ones I default to are:

Sora Takahashi (kanji: 高橋) The kanji mean "high/tall bridge". Kind of a common last name, and considering that Sora is supposed to be a "common" kid, I felt that made sense. Also has the sense of being up high, so it fits in with his name meaning "sky". He also is meant to "connect" people together, much like a bridge connects things that are apart. So yeah.

Riku Morizaki (kanji: 守崎)The kanji here mean "protect" and a "promontory" which is um...how to describe it, it's a piece of land that juts up out of the ocean. So it has kind of the mental image of a guarded coastal line of rocks and land. Obviously because Riku's name means "land" I wanted to find a last name that also had an earthy type feel to it. His main desire is also to be a protector, so that's where the first kanji comes in. It is also very close to the voice actor for Riku (Miyano Mamoru 宮野真守) who uses the same kanji in his name.

Kairi Kiyoshita (kanji: 清下) The first kanji here means "pure" and the other is "below". So, almost like a purity beneath. The first Kanji in particular is associated very often with water, and uses the water radical inside of it, which fits her first name which has the meaning of "ocean/shore". The feeling of this name is a pure, sparkling water. I felt that made a lot of sense to fit into her name's ocean motif, as well as indicating her princess of heart status.

Unfortunately I never came up with any of my own for Namine and Roxas, but I would think with the little accent at the end of her name, maybe using a french last name for Namine might fit. Roxas I'm not sure.

(It could be argued that 'namine' could be a Japanese name as well, considering the likely kanji for it are: 波音 meaning "sound of the waves" which both ties her to Kairi, as well as seeming like just an "echo" of the sea. But, considering the little accent on the e, perhaps not. Her name is never officially written in Kanji, either, so I have no idea if the ones I chose are correct.

As another aside, however, for anyone interested, Xion is also a very well-thought out name in Japanese. Xion is pronounced "Shion", which is most likely written using either this 潮 kanji or this one 汐 (which mean tide) or (海音 meaning sound of the ocean). Also connecting her back to Kairi. BUT in addition, 紫苑 (read shion) is a type of flower that has a meaning of "I won't forget you". And we all know how that ties into her story...)

Nomura really did his homework when he named his characters, that's for sure.

Again, these are just what I use because I enjoy messing with kanji and their meanings.

Maybe some day they will give us official names, though!

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sora Smith
Riku Matthews
Kairi O'Connell
Roxas Shmit
Axel Rodriguez
Xion Wallace
Aqua Williamson
Terra Munez
Ventus Albertson
Namine Halpert
Eraqus Kobayashi
Xehanort David
Ansem Daniela
Xemnas Adaline
Xigbar Collins
Saix Wheeler
Luxord Brady
Larxene Witherspoon
Marluxia Elba
Vexen Reynolds
Demyx Garcia
Ienzo Cruz
Ansem DeWise

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
but Sora Joel Osment anyone

When I mentioned the voice actors names I was talking about the Japanese voice actors because their names are actually, you know, Japanese so fit a bit better with the first name.

But uh...honestly, if you like the name it is your story and you can do whatever you want.

Wallflower3582

You could always do the Nintendo thing and give them the same last name as their first name. Cos apparently Mario and Link's full names are Mario Mario and Link Link and if you don't believe me look it up lol

Nukara

Awards
I think that in their world they have no last names.:biggrin:

D

Deleted member 246005

I saw a KH/Rwby fic used Sora Nomura.

I was gonna used Bazahr as its the last name of Sion from the Bouncer. Its plot relevant trust me :cool:

I imagine Roxas and Namine using Sora and kairi's.

A pokemon/kh fanfic gave Lea the last name Rhodes.

I wanted to use Shinra for Ansem the Wise 's last name. I know the FF7 history.

I wanted Larxene's somebody to be Elena from FF7's sister. I probably would have done Isa Rude and Even Hojo.

I thought of a few fic ideas were Sora and Ventus were related to an existing ff character so i used their name.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh wow I can’t believe my time has arrived!

For something obscure and cute Barzahd, based on Sion from the Bouncer who people believe Sora’s final design is based on. You can follow from there by using the other last names from characters in that game. Some people go with Leonhart or Strife depending on who they decide to make Sora related to in-story, and you can follow from there with the others.

AmaryllisMoth’s last names are also really good substitutes.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Sora Hedgehog going by my theory on who his dad is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back