• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

No FF Battle Menu in KH3!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

FacetiousDreamer

77346453253666852.png

I want to talk about Final Fantasy style battle menu and why I think it's useless in KH.

EDIT: It would be better just show my idea on picture.

View image: KINGDOM HEARTS III

There is a very good way to use magic in KH. We use L1.

MAGIC (L1):
L1 + SQUARE = FIRE
L1 + TRIANGLE = BLIZZARD
L1 + СIRCLE = THUNDER
L1 + X = CURE

But why stop here? We have more magic! Why we can equip only four? And why we don't use sticks as buttons?

L1 + R1 = MAGNET
L1 + R2 = REFLECT
L1 + R3 = AERO
L1 + L3 = GRAVITY

And why don't we use other stuff the same way?

SUMMONS (L2):

L2 + SQUARE = CHICKEN LITTLE
L2 + TRIANGLE = GENIE
L2 + СIRCLE = PETER PAN
L2 + X = STITCH
etc.

DRIVE FORMS (R2):
R2 + SQUARE = VALOR FORM
R2 + TRIANGLE = WISDOM FORM
R2 + СIRCLE = MASTER FORM
R2 + X = FINAL FORM
R2 + L1 (or L2,R3,L3) = LIMIT FORM

LIMITS:
Donald (L3):
L3 + L1 = COMET
L3 + L2 = DUCK FLARE
Goofy (R3):
R3 + R1 = KNOCKSMASH
R3 + R2 = WHIRLI GOOF

R3 + L3 = TRINITY
Other characters limits: L3 (if character joined instead of Donald) or R3 ( instead of Goofy).

ITEMS:
LEFT + SQUARE = POTION
LEFT + TRIANGLE = HI-POTION
LEFT + СIRCLE = ETHER
LEFT + X = ELIXIR
UP + SQUARE = MEGA POTION
UP + TRIANGLE = MEGA-ETHER
ect.

This way you can use everything you got in the game instantly without spending precious seconds on dated battle menu.
What do you think? Whould you like to see this in KH3? Or maybe voiсe commands?

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That's way too complicated, I would hate that greatly. Voice commands would be awful too.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes, if it was just magic, then the shortcuts would be fine. But magic, summons, limits, and possibly drive forms all as shortcuts? That would be a mess.

I'm fine with the battle menu myself.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
chi like FF take turns in battle thats what i meant from FF battle style

That has no relevance here, and doesn't make sense anyways. One (incredibly common) similarity does not determine anything.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
77346453253666852.png

I want to talk about Final Fantasy style battle menu and why I think it's useless in KH.

There is a very good way to use magic in KH. We use L1.

MAGIC (L1):
L1 + SQUARE = FIRE
L1 + TRIANGLE = BLIZZARD
L1 + СIRCLE = THUNDER
L1 + X = CURE

But why stop here? We have more magic! Why we can equip only four? And why we don't use sticks as buttons?

L1 + R1 = MAGNET
L1 + R2 = REFLECT
L1 + R3 = AERO
L1 + L3 = GRAVITY

And why don't we use other stuff the same way?

SUMMONS (L2):

L2 + SQUARE = CHICKEN LITTLE
L2 + TRIANGLE = GENIE
L2 + СIRCLE = PETER PAN
L2 + X = STITCH
etc.

DRIVE FORMS (R2):
R2 + SQUARE = VALOR FORM
R2 + TRIANGLE = WISDOM FORM
R2 + СIRCLE = MASTER FORM
R2 + X = FINAL FORM
R2 + L1 (or L2,R3,L3) = LIMIT FORM

LIMITS:
Donald (L3):
L3 + L1 = COMET
L3 + L2 = DUCK FLARE
Goofy (R3):
R3 + R1 = KNOCKSMASH
R3 + R2 = WHIRLI GOOF

R3 + L3 = TRINITY
Other characters limits: L3 (if character joined instead of Donald) or R3 ( instead of Goofy).

ITEMS:
LEFT + SQUARE = POTION
LEFT + TRIANGLE = HI-POTION
LEFT + СIRCLE = ETHER
LEFT + X = ELIXIR
UP + SQUARE = MEGA POTION
UP + TRIANGLE = MEGA-ETHER
ect.

This way you can use everything you got in the game instantly without spending precious seconds on dated battle menu.
What do you think? Whould you like to see this in KH3? Or maybe voiсe commands?

The idea you have is really interesting but that is WAY too many inputs to remember. Most people wouldn't be able to remember all of that and will likely accidentally trigger a bunch of stuff they didn't want to use. Menus are already a streamlined way of using certain items and attacks to avoid confusion like this.

It might seem dated, but it is really the simplest way of doing things.

Also that is why we have the Command Deck system. It's not exactly what you said, but it does get all of your items and attacks in one place.

I'd also say that FFXV is probably achieving something similar with context sensitive button inputs.

Also...eh...voice commands would be good to say tell Donald to heal when I feel I need it or Goofy to block, but I wouldn't want it to be a big part of the combat system. The AI should be smart enough to do this stuff automatically.

FacetiousDreamer

Yes, if it was just magic, then the shortcuts would be fine. But magic, summons, limits, and possibly drive forms all as shortcuts? That would be a mess.
The idea you have is really interesting but that is WAY too many inputs to remember. Most people wouldn't be able to remember all of that and will likely accidentally trigger a bunch of stuff they didn't want to use. Menus are already a streamlined way of using certain items and attacks to avoid confusion like this.

It might seem dated, but it is really the simplest way of doing things.

It's not like you have to remember all this the instant you start the game. In the beginning we have one magic at best and few items. It's a piace of cake. New stuff appears gradually. It's a easy to remmember all this during 30-40 hours long game.
And my bad, I forgot to mention about hints in left down corner of the screen.

So basicly all you have to remmember: Magic(L1), Summon(L2), Drive Form(R2), Limit(L3 and R3), Item(D-pad). And if you don't recall what next you just look in the corner of screen. It is as easy as menu but much faster. Even someone with a bad memory can master it. What I'm talking about it's not complette disposal of menu. It's still be there in form of hitns. Game won't forse you to waste your time on something that made for turn-based games.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Edit: My apologies. I was under the impression we wouldn't be able to see the command menu. I suppose it could work from the way you present it in the post above especially if they're customizable.

Last edited:

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin
That has no relevance here, and doesn't make sense anyways. One (incredibly common) similarity does not determine anything.
yeah it make sense-.- first of all its easy to understand what i meant now the battles is card system thats KHRCOM style i know but what i meant by FF style is the fight like ff just standing until your turn is up you understand what i said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back