• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo's next console

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

Yay! More rustic brown games that I have no interest in playing! I am ashamed of you Nintendo! (ignore the fact that I'm merely being presumptuous) But when I hear hardcore when in lieu of video games I think of FPSs and brown shaded games.

Awards
Yay! More rustic brown games that I have no interest in playing! I am ashamed of you Nintendo! (ignore the fact that I'm merely being presumptuous) But when I hear hardcore when in lieu of video games I think of FPSs and brown shaded games.

That's not how I interpret it at all.

I hate the phrase "hardcore gamer" but there's a difference between a self-described "hardcore" gamer and games that are stylistically trying to be hardcore. A game for a hardcore gamer doesn't necessarily fall into that testosterone-inducing category. It's just something that isn't... you know, shovelware trying to appeal to the masses.

So if anything, I see this as a good thing.

Hopefully Nintendo tries appealing more to third party developers because the Wii be having loads of shit third party games.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I'm not too sure on this. I haven't really been big on anything Nintendo recently. I feel like everybody forgot about the Wii because most hit titles were ignoring that platform.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Grass said:
That's not how I interpret it at all.

I hate the phrase "hardcore gamer" but there's a difference between a self-described "hardcore" gamer and games that are stylistically trying to be hardcore. A game for a hardcore gamer doesn't necessarily fall into that testosterone-inducing category. It's just something that isn't... you know, shovelware trying to appeal to the masses.

So if anything, I see this as a good thing.

Exactly. A "hardcore" game is something that, generally, will be most appreciated by people who take games as a more serious hobby, and that often (but not necessarily) isn't on the average joe's radar. As an extreme example, most games published by Atlus are like this (in the aspect that nobody outside of those who play JRPG's or are familiar with general gaming culture would even know what Atlus is). Despite the fact that everyone knows who he is, even Mario's games are arguably hardcore because even people who are more devoted to videogames than most people purchase and lavish praise on them.

Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions.

Perfect. There's no excuse now. Even if Sony and Microsoft's next consoles are significantly more powerful than even that, I think there's a point where developers are just not going to know what to do with all that power. Hopefully it will be easy to program for as well. Then we'll have the perfect marriage of hardcore vs casuals: developers won't feel so limited by the hardware and will make more creative and interesting games, but due to the userbase it will also be possible for Nintendo and other companies to bank off their casual appeal with casualware games. Everyone wins.

If that's the case, I can't wait what sort of third party developers Nintendo is intending on attracting with this console. I have a good feeling due to the good third party support for the 3DS.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Uh....what's wrong with cel-shading again? If done right it's fucking gorgeous to look at (see: Okami, Wind Waker, No More Heroes, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, etc).

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
The only thing I wonder is what the console will be called.
I hope that it'll be backwards compatible with with GC and Wii games.

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
Nintendo certainly needs a console that isn't totally geared towards kids and family time, and more so on good rpgs or shooters that appeal to a wider range of gamers while also including their obvious classics.

One thing that would sell me for sure is a pokemon handheld game equivalent on the console, that would be AWESOME! Especially online... oh the possibilities...

But yes, nintendo needs to step up, they're slackin.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Nintendo certainly needs a console that isn't totally geared towards kids and family time, and more so on good rpgs or shooters that appeal to a wider range of gamers while also including their obvious classics.

They did it with the N64. While that was a long time ago, it shows they are capable of it.

One thing that would sell me for sure is a pokemon handheld game equivalent on the console, that would be AWESOME! Especially online... oh the possibilities...

lolno

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
They did it with the N64. While that was a long time ago, it shows they are capable of it.

They only did that because it was the only crowd they could have possibly hoped to cater to. All the more casual people migrated to the playstation because of the way it was marketed.

In any case, Nintendo is not going to abandon their casualfag image. It's what makes their systems "print money" now, they absolutely will not let go of it. We can only hope that there will be enough people buying "hardcore" games on the Wii HD so that we will get more of them.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
They only did that because it was the only crowd they could have possibly hoped to cater to. All the more casual people migrated to the playstation because of the way it was marketed.

In any case, Nintendo is not going to abandon their casualfag image. It's what makes their systems "print money" now, they absolutely will not let go of it. We can only hope that there will be enough people buying "hardcore" games on the Wii HD so that we will get more of them.

I can't tell whether you are talking for, or against, the N64...

Agreed. For a number of reasons, I'll never play a Pokemon game on anything other than a handheld.

Stadium and Stadium 2 were both really good games.
If they make something like that (Revolution tried, but sucked) then I'd definetly buy and play it.
I just never want a main game equivalent.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I wasn't saying anything for or against it, I was simply making an observation. There wouldn't have been a point to marketing the n64 like they do with their consoles now because those same people would not have bought it.

Also I wouldn't mind playing a good Pokemon console RPG (or another Pokemon stadium, I guess) provided that it was interesting. I never played Colosseum; the idea of stealing Pokemon sounded fairly interesting and unusually dark, but I dunno if it ended up working or not.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Stadium and Stadium 2 were both really good games.
If they make something like that (Revolution tried, but sucked) then I'd definetly buy and play it.
I just never want a main game equivalent.

No doubt. I loved them, and Puzzle League too. Snap was my personal favorite though lol.

But the main reason I'll never do it is it would require me to play Pokemon on a TV for all to see. I've got enough self-image issues, so I'll keep my Pokemon on a small, personal screen thanks. lol

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Couldn't you like, play it locked in your room, if you're so worried about people seeing you? What's the big deal anyway? You could probably just kick their asses if they made fun of you :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back