• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo's next console

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/0...new-nintendo-console-is-called-nintendo-feel/http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/0...new-nintendo-console-is-called-nintendo-feel/

The rumors continue to flow. This one sounds really out there, but it's also a very interesting concept. It basically says that the rumored screen on the controller will use new haptic technology, which will allow the screen to immitate various textures when touched. So you could touch the screen on your controller and feel the fur of your nintendog, or you could wipe away what feels like real dust off an artifact. It could be a very immersive experience (and likely very gross, since I'm sure some developers would be absolutely giddy to create games where you have to touch a brain or something). At least this idea sounds strange enough to be something Nintendo would do, even if it does seem a bit outlandish.

I must say, though, that the Nintendo Feel is virtually the worst name I've heard for the system. I would rather it be the Nintendo Cafe than the Feel. Feel just sounds absurd, even if it is the system's highlight feature.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/0...new-nintendo-console-is-called-nintendo-feel/http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/0...new-nintendo-console-is-called-nintendo-feel/

The rumors continue to flow. This one sounds really out there, but it's also a very interesting concept. It basically says that the rumored screen on the controller will use new haptic technology, which will allow the screen to immitate various textures when touched. So you could touch the screen on your controller and feel the fur of your nintendog, or you could wipe away what feels like real dust off an artifact. It could be a very immersive experience (and likely very gross, since I'm sure some developers would be absolutely giddy to create games where you have to touch a brain or something). At least this idea sounds strange enough to be something Nintendo would do, even if it does seem a bit outlandish.

I must say, though, that the Nintendo Feel is virtually the worst name I've heard for the system. I would rather it be the Nintendo Cafe than the Feel. Feel just sounds absurd, even if it is the system's highlight feature.
The problem with all of this is that touch screens alone are prohibitively expensive and fragile. Nintendo has money to throw around by now, yes, but even then they're not going fork out the cash necessary to put a touch screen into every controller. Nintendo understands that even for the Wii, not every develop or gamer made use of its motion-sensing technology, and they're definitely not going to go and include high-quality (definitely not tactile) touch screen technology into every console.
Even thought Nintendo's aiming again for a more hardcore market, they know very well that shovelware made them a good deal of money - and the developers of such quick cash-ins are absolutely not going to make even minor use of a touch screen, let alone a tactile one.
Putting tactile technology - or even decent-quality touch screen tech - into every single controller is going to make Nintendo lose much more money than even Sony did in the early days of PlayStation 3 production. Nintendo isn't going to do it.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
The problem with all of this is that touch screens alone are prohibitively expensive and fragile. Nintendo has money to throw around by now, yes, but even then they're not going fork out the cash necessary to put a touch screen into every controller. Nintendo understands that even for the Wii, not every develop or gamer made use of its motion-sensing technology, and they're definitely not going to go and include high-quality (definitely not tactile) touch screen technology into every console.
Even thought Nintendo's aiming again for a more hardcore market, they know very well that shovelware made them a good deal of money - and the developers of such quick cash-ins are absolutely not going to make even minor use of a touch screen, let alone a tactile one.
Putting tactile technology - or even decent-quality touch screen tech - into every single controller is going to make Nintendo lose much more money than even Sony did in the early days of PlayStation 3 production. Nintendo isn't going to do it.
I pretty much agree. I could almost see a screen on the controller (at least on a controller, not necessarily the console's primary controller), but this haptic stuff just seems a tad ridiculous. As far as I know, Nintendo's never sold anything for a loss. Ever. So unless they're absolutely desperate to sell this new console, they probably won't go at a loss, which means that a haptic touch screen's price would have to be built into the existing cost of a dual analog controller.

Still, it's a neat idea, which is why I posted it.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
I Just don't understand why people can't wait until E3.

Oh, and @Ven95

It doesn't really look like a gamecube controller. Looks more like a classic controller pro with the D-pad and analog sticks switched.
Notice the - and + buttons on both sides of the home button and the layout of the a y x and b buttons.

Awards
Compare the Pokemon of sprites of Red - Crystal to their current sprites. One's a generic anime style, while the other is an original (though somewhat manga-like), watercolor art style.

Not the best comparison, but it gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

More like one was all they could do at the time, and the current one is what the original ideas looked like.

CA59

More like one was all they could do at the time, and the current one is what the original ideas looked like.

Maybe, but the new ones still suck. I would like it if they made a modern game using the classic style. Some Pokemon designs are pretty lame anyway, but I think others would really benefit from that style.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
That's not a very good comparison because Pokemon's art style just evolved over time, and it was pretty damn anime to begin with. Ken Sugimori's older style is hardly any less generic than his current one anyway, if anything he's gotten better with more defined muscle tone, shading, posing, etc.

Mario's art style has never been generic anime whatsoever, it's been pretty consistent for a number of years now and they wouldn't just suddenly change it.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
for all I know, I won't be getting this console until I see a game that I really really want. Its funny how my parents are, when a new console comes out, they tell me to wait, but when a friend of my parents have it, they want me to get it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back