• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo eShop KH3D Demo Impressions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Okay, these are impressions from my drama teacher.

Him: So, what are you playing?
Me: Kingdom Hearts.
H: Thought so. Which one?
M: Dream Drop Distance.
H: But it's not out yet.
M: It's the demo. Here.
*hands over 3DS*
H: A to attack... B to jump... How do I do the wall thing? Wait, there's a dog following me.
M: Yeah it's your companion. And to do the wall thing you press "Y".
H: Wow that's so cool.
H: So why is he in red clothes?
M: Wel-
H: You know why they keep reusing the old model? Because they don't want to make a new one just yet.
M: But they changed Riku...
H: Yeah they just made his hair shorter.
H: I like how it plays like the 1st and 2nd game. I liked Birth by Sleep but the commands weren't that great. What does "X" do?
M: Activates the commands....
H: Oh so the command slots are still in it...

TL;DR he likes Flowmotion, not a fan of the commands though. Definitely liked it.

padlock

Awards
Padlock's Impressions~

Okay okay, omg omg omg, officially re-invigoured for DDD :). I have had the Demo since last Monday now, and It is now the most played thing according to the stats on my 3DS hahaha.

Commands

Anyone else love Ballonra? and Sparkga? Rainbows everywhere! yaaaaay! The one that makes you shoot through the air similar to Barrier Rush is a new favourite (As that was in BBS) and The Ice command was a surprise, when it doublled back as a Fire Break thing. I am very happy with the commands (even the boring Cura, although I did like the updated look.)

Spirits/Nightmares

Okay, so i have steered away from the Dream Eaters since the game was announced, as I wanted them to be a surprise, like the Nobodies and Heartless were for me, and I love them! My favourite is the music cat that has a treble clef tail. I lurve it <3 Although I will totally take the elephant one that I have seen when the game comes out :) Is Meow Wow meant to be the new Shadow, Dusk, Flood? I hope so.

Also they are all so colourful! It's wonderful haha.

Cutscene/3D

It's gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. Neku is great, just like I thought he would be, and the World Ends With You music was a great callback. My eyes didn't hurt once from the 3D, and just as I thought it wouldn't matter, I switched back to 2D to see, and it all seemed, that much more dull. I will most definitely be using the 3d the whole way throughout, and the graphical fidelity could only be raised once we finally have an HD Kingdom Hearts.

District 4/5

Absolutely great, although I want to know where they connect to the first three! My brother and I used to imagine extra districts for Traverse Town, and This is similar to what I thought, so I am psyched about that. I love the Item store area. It is very similar to Shibuya. It is reminiscent of the Hachiko statue crossing. I felt a similar sense of exploration, as I did when I personally was in Shibuya, even though really, District 4 is quite small.

District 5 Is also quite good! although I think there is a part of it you can't explore... hmmm.

Flowmotion

Oh. My. God. I knew it would be fun, But this just blew me out of the park haha. The best addition to Kingdom Hearts, in a very long time. There isn't much I can say really. Other than the fact that Sora is outlined in purple makes me squeal with delight. What a gamechanger.

Niggles

Okay, so I love Flowmotion. I LOVE FLOWMOTION. But unfortunately the glide makes it redundant, at least the getting around part. The glide featured in the Demo is just so fast, and Sora never lands until you take your hands off the buttons. While it is more fun to use Flowmotion (and I used it far more in any case) it made me a bit sad that Glide was more efficient at getting around the place.

Also was disappointed that Hockomonkey was so easy. All I had to do was hit him, and the Flowmotion (i.e most significant gameplay addition) wasn't incorporated at all. I dunno. Kind of a let down compared to what we got in BBS. Also did people really never see the gardens? I got knocked down there almost every time haha. I didn't even realise it wasn't scripted until I came online :)

So yeah. Not so much impressions as next-to-baseless fanboy squeeeing. BUT I DON"T CARE I LOVE IT <3 <3 <3 :3

PhantomSoD

I like how they tried to make these dream eater attacks more brutal. (Well, as brutal as KH can be anyway) Sora being thrashed around in the t-rex dream eaters mouth and being held in hockomonkey's chest while getting the crap punched out of him was a great step to taking some of the cartoonyness out of the fights. Plus that 3D looks amazing. definitely playing the whole thing through with that on full blast.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I LOVED the demo despite how short it was. Flowmotion is amazing as everyone else says, although I'm hoping it doesn't make the player overpowered... this demo was SUPER easy :/

The boss was pretty cool though. I loved how it used the entire area as a battleground rather than an invisible wall surrounding the roof. I also love how it changes the scenario by punching through the glass and going inside the building. And I like it's attack where it hammers you down and sends you into the middle of the body and starts punching you away and launching you out of the area. And I'm assuming it's only the first boss of the game.

The Ursula tutorial fight was neat. Although I found a funny glitch... I was curious so I let Ursula kill me, it goes to the game over screen and it shows the KH3D Sora floating in air rather than the KH1 Sora like it should.

I thought it was also interesting how the battle portal uses FF character's names and how it's generated at random. I got names from Squall to Onion Knight to Warrior of Light to Firion... despite it all being one battle portal. Love the dinosaur dream eaters and their attacks to bite you and swing you around.

The ally dream eaters are... well, personally I think they're a bit over-rated from what other people are describing. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I love doing the team attacks... but they are SOOO weak. I'm sorry, but Donald and Goofy were WAAAY more effective party members. I actually tested this out and timed Donald and Goofy from KH1 to the Dream Eaters in the demo and chose to do nothing and wait for my allies to kill the enemies. Donald and Goofy killed the two enemies in about 10 seconds. The dream eaters killed the two enemies in about 30 seconds. :/

Still, loved the demo and can't wait for the final game!

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I LOVED the demo despite how short it was. Flowmotion is amazing as everyone else says, although I'm hoping it doesn't make the player overpowered... this demo was SUPER easy :/

The boss was pretty cool though. I loved how it used the entire area as a battleground rather than an invisible wall surrounding the roof. I also love how it changes the scenario by punching through the glass and going inside the building. And I like it's attack where it hammers you down and sends you into the middle of the body and starts punching you away and launching you out of the area. And I'm assuming it's only the first boss of the game.

The Ursula tutorial fight was neat. Although I found a funny glitch... I was curious so I let Ursula kill me, it goes to the game over screen and it shows the KH3D Sora floating in air rather than the KH1 Sora like it should.

I thought it was also interesting how the battle portal uses FF character's names and how it's generated at random. I got names from Squall to Onion Knight to Warrior of Light to Firion... despite it all being one battle portal. Love the dinosaur dream eaters and their attacks to bite you and swing you around.

The ally dream eaters are... well, personally I think they're a bit over-rated from what other people are describing. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I love doing the team attacks... but they are SOOO weak. I'm sorry, but Donald and Goofy were WAAAY more effective party members. I actually tested this out and timed Donald and Goofy from KH1 to the Dream Eaters in the demo and chose to do nothing and wait for my allies to kill the enemies. Donald and Goofy killed the two enemies in about 10 seconds. The dream eaters killed the two enemies in about 30 seconds. :/

Still, loved the demo and can't wait for the final game!

You do know you get to breed stronger Dream Eaters right? There are different ranks depending on how many materials you use to make them, and the more you use the better they are. Then you still can level them up to make them stronger, and then they have all of the abilities they can learn on that big grid. The ones in the demo are the weakest possible :p But with all the different customization options to make them stronger, they are definitely going to be stronger than Donald and Goofy.

Now, I just hope they make Donald and Goofy more customizable in the future like this. They seem to be on the right track.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I finally got to play the KH3D demo yesterday and it was even better than I imagined.
I loved all the new gameplay features. My favorite is the flow motion. It makes it so much easier to get around and bouncing off of walls and spinning on poles and objects is so much fun! I also thought the reality shift was a cool idea. It took me a bit to get use to it though. I also thought having Dream Eater partners was a great change from having Donald and Goofy or another character as your teammate. And they are kind of adorable. When I saw Traverse Town in the demo it was even better looking than I imagined. It was awesome how they re-designed it! I thought it was nice that they gave you a nice variety of deck commands in the demo too. I used those a whole lot. The Dream Eaters had very interesting and colorful designs, but I like that. It makes them stand out a bit from the other kinds of enemies in previous games. I also thought Sora and Neku together was just hilarious. I wanted to see more, so I was kind of disappointed that there was only one real cutscene. The little short with Meow Wow at the end of the demo was cute. I will be playing the demo a few more times at least. The only other negative that I saw was that sometimes it was hard to decide which aspect of the gameplay to use because you have so many options and it could get somewhat confusing. Of course I am not too worried about it because I know it is new gameplay and I will get use to it over time. Overall I thought the demo was great and well worth playing!

sdr08

the demo was very good and loved the freemotion moves, and the reality shifts, its very fun and entertaining. i was a bit worried about the platforming (since I cant use 2 hands) but gliding and freemotion got me through it, the battle system is my favorite one so far. I love the graphics too, i think they are on par with BBS. my only hope is the platforming doesn't get too difficult.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I finally got to play the demo the other night and I loved it!

I was so worried that the 3D would look awkward, but it actually added to the game. Playing with the 3D on full didn't cause me any eye strain and was only a tad disorienting on initial use.

Flow motion is really fun. I loved being able to bounce off walls and even if this isn't something I would probably use all game, it is great to be able to get from point A to point B with such speed.

The Dream Eaters were much better than anticipated. Part of their appeal definitely was the cute factor, but I liked how they occasionally healed me with more efficiency than Donald at times.

The music was amazing as always; the game play was fun. All in all, it was a fun demo and I'm even more excited for KH3D because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back