• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

NieR Automata | Xbox One on June 26th, 2018

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
If your friend doesn't want to play the game or purchase a console for whatever reason, he doesn't have to, it shouldn't impact your experience with the game. If you want to play the game and enjoy it, then do that. Automata is getting a lot of positive reactions, so don't worry if your friend doesn't want to play it, that's his choice and his loss. Enjoy what you want to enjoy.

That said, Nier is definitely in my list of must-buys at some point this year. I still have so much to play and chew through that it'll be a while, but it went from me not being interested in the game at all to me really wanting to play it. I'm glad so many people are enjoying it, seems to be better than I initially anticipated.

But he takes the attention seriously, when he comments to me in the morning when he's angry about calling the 2B fans fanboys or complain it's the Savior. So was breath of the Wild But he's not bothering me about that yet.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Some thoughts about the story:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

EchoFringe49

I really enjoy the side-quests in this game, they all have at least one great moment that makes them worth it. It seems like I'm in the minority though, judging from comments on other forums/reviews. Favourite so far is the stamp collecting one.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
^ I agree! Most of them are fetch quests and "go there and kill these enemies", but they lead to great moment which makes the quest worth it. They are also a good way to level up and get resources, money and healing/buff items.

EchoFringe49

Well I've done all the main endings. What an amazing game, there are a couple things I wish would've been explained better but that didn't bother me too much. Also doing the "thing" at the end was such a beautiful moment.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Some further comments about the story:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Watched someone play it since I can't afford it myself (yet)
Wow, 2B9S otp

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
An interesting interview with Taro:

[video=youtube;L3wScHE28K8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wScHE28K8[/video]

There are some bits in the video that might be slight spoilers about Automta so those who have not played it yet, do not watch this.

Yoko says some interesting stuff, don`t know if this has much new stuff for folks who have been following this guy for a long time.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Is this game worth it? I'm thinking about picking it up.

It is! This game is freaking amazing. It presents an heartbreaking and depressing story, destroyed earth being the stage where this story of tragedy is played out. The characters are very interesting, and despite the story being sad, there is humor that balances it out a bit.

The combat is done by Platinum games so it`s smooth and looks cool as heck. You just want to use different weapons too see their cool movement and move sets. There are also bullet hell like sequences, so this game is pretty diverse.

The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal, I had a few songs stuck in my head for weeks.

EDIT:

They announced a new live stream: http://gematsu.com/2017/04/nier-aut...pments-commemoration-live-stream-set-april-17

I hope that they announce some new dlc on that live stream. The mysterious doors that have machine lifeforms talking in front of them, could be the starting point or something.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Coming off of a high from finishing Horizon, I wanted something else new to play to keep me going. Automata was $10 off so I decided to give it a go and see what all the hype was about. I put in a solid 13 hours this weekend and got just past the part in my first play through where 9S went missing, and I found Popola and Devola.

I haven't experienced much of the genius to the writing yet, although I've got a lot of questions that I hope and assume will be answered at some point. The graphics in all honesty are just okay, but aren't bad by any stretch. The world feels empty and lonely in a good way, as it is incredibly fitting and creates a super eerie atmosphere. I'm still settling into the characters, as while I like 9S, 2B is still taking me a while to warm up to, but it feels like it should. The game is surprisingly funny, too, and the stamp collecting sub quest was genuinely hilarious. The combat is so incredibly fun, and finding a way to combine all 3 pods, the plug in chips, and the different weapons to pull off all sorts of combos is nothing short of spectacular. There's definitely a deeper layer to combat than it first seemed, and after 13 hours I finally feel like I have the perfect combo going.

For reference, I'm using the Type 4O Lance in my first slot and the Machine Axe in my second, with both upgraded to level 2. Pod A is my favorite of the three, but Pod B is rad at times too. Having triple hammers is the best, but gravity is really useful as well. I have all my chip slots available, as I prioritized that pretty early on. I have a passive health regen when outside of combat, a health regen upon dealing damage, a health regen upon killing enemies and an auto item heal for when I drop below 30% health, among a few standard chips. The combo of those chips makes me feel nearly invincible in combat, and while I'm enjoying cutting down enemies, I might crank the difficulty up a bit now.

Aside from that, the music is absolutely outstanding, the voice acting is pretty solid, traversing the world is fun, and the whole multiple endings thing is super cool. I've managed to get endings K and U so far. Really enjoying the game at this point, and the story has me interested so far, but I'm still waiting for it to get to something truly exciting.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
2B seemed a bit cold to me too during the beginning, but you can see that she is... well how shall I put it... really thinking about stuff beneath the surface. She will open up thou when the game progresses, and her a bit cold behavior in the beginning is explained very well.

I am pretty curious to see you`r reactions to some of the end game story twists. The really good.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Finished Route A the other day. I really dug the latter third of the story. Some of the plot points were really cool, but I still have a million questions about. Dug the ending as well. I'm really looking forward to getting into Route B once I get through a little more of Persona.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Aand we are indeed getting some dlc, hooray! NieR: Automata original NieR costumes and Colosseum DLC set announced - Gematsu

The downloadable content, titled “3C3C1D119440927,” will launch on May 2 for 1,500 yen in Japan and is “coming soon” in North America and Europe. It will include three new colosseums to challenge, plus additional sub-quests. Upon completion of these quests, players can earn various rewards, including:
Costumes from the previous Japanese release, NieR: Replicant, for androids 2B, 9S and A2

• “Revealing Outfit” (in the style of Kaine) for 2B
  • “Young Man’s Outfit” (in the style of young Nier) for 9S
  • “Destroyer Outfit” (in the style of young adult Nier) for A2

Records that add special music tracks to the players’ jukebox
New equipment and cosmetic accessories such as hairspray that allows you to change the color of 2B and A2’s hair
Masks with unique “on equip” effects
Special bullets that change the appearance of enemy bullets

Read more at NieR: Automata original NieR costumes and Colosseum DLC set announced - Gematsu

You can enjoy the colosseum challenges by meeting various conditions, and clearing battles will allow you to acquire various rewards, such as the costumes and hairspray. The colosseum has scenarios in addition to battles, as well as considerably difficult battles for speedrun-style players.
Read more at NieR: Automata original NieR costumes and Colosseum DLC set announced - Gematsu

Enemies confirmed to appear in the Colosseum include Square Enix president and CEO Yosuke Matsuda, and Platinum Games president and CEO Kenichi Sato. Defeating them will get you significantly good items.

[video=youtube;JZswV_piAeU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZswV_piAeU[/video]

[video=youtube;L4Ohdx9Fn9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Ohdx9Fn9E[/video]

I was trying to think of an excuse to go back to this game after finishing most of the story stuff, and now one has been given to me. Having the bosses of the companies be video game "bosses" sounds crazy and awesome at the same time.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
OK the boss idea is hilarious! I can see everyone working at the company poking fun about beating the "boss."

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I did not even notice it at first, but before you enter the boss fight, one of the resistance members warns that it might destroy you`r sense of immersion into the game. Brilliant! :D

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Anybody else playing the dlc? I have been playing and it's pretty fun! While it is an arena battle thing the creators did not forget the depressing and cruel nature of Automata's world. Especially the arena you complete in the Flooded Citu is very depressing, like holy heck. The outfit I like most is The Destroyer outfit you get for A2. It's really cool.

Also, there appears to be a prequel short story about 2B and 9S, it has been translated and can be found from a link behind this link: https://yorha-squad.tumblr.com/post/160266285674 It has massive spoilers thou!

Man, I would like to write and talk about this game more but I feel like I am not smart enough to say anything meaninful, or something that adds any value to conversations that this game has already created.

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I wrote these posts today. The first one has some minor similarities to one of my previous post, but a lot new ideas and overall I think it`s better worded and more... coherent I think? Since both have massive spoilers about the game I am going to but them behind a spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

EDIT:

Got the platinum trophy from this game today. I got most of the trophies by just playing and grinding, but at the end I got bit lazy and just unlocked the 4 remaining trophies trough the shop. One of them was the pod upgrade one, I did not want to grind that one needed part. The collect 100 bodies one, ain`t nobody got time for that when you have only died like 1 -2 timed during you`r 60 playtrough. And lastly get all of the endings. Then I just finished
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I never actually commented since I beat the game, but I finished it a few weeks ago. I'm considering double dipping and playing though again at some point over the summer, a rare task for me. It's fighting Horizon for my GOTY and my game of the generation, as it wowed me far more than I expected, especially in the gameplay and storytelling department.

Route C was incredible, and the way Routes A and B were set up to almost serve as a sort of prologue to the third route was something I haven't really seen in a game before, and was a really intriguing way to tell a story. It's a format I'd be curious to see in other storytelling mediums.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
So I finished this a couple of hours ago. I feel like my heart's been torn out and stomped on, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
This is absolutely one of the best game's I've played and has definitely earned its place as one of my favourites. I've gotta get a new PS3 and get my hands on NieR, because if the plot's anywhere near as much of a wild ride I'll absolutely love it.

Such an excellent game.

Back