• We have brought back Future of KINGDOM HEARTS as our main Kingdom Hearts section. Discuss any projects including Phase 2 developments, the rumored Disney Plus series, all TWEWY-related news, theories about the future of Kingdom Hearts, and any general topics in this section. For anything related to Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody, please discuss it in the KINGDOM HEARTS Memory of Melody section.
  • Although unrelated to Kingdom Hearts, we are aware that there might be fans of The Last of Us on our forums. We ask that you please keep all spoilers for The Last of Us 2 spoiler-tagged. Any untagged spoilers will result in a temporary ban from the site.

Nexomon Extinction (Spiritual Successor to Pokemon) coming August 25th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
  • The Foreteller
  • Savage Nymph
  • Completionist
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • Just Short of the Mark
  • 15th Anniversary
Hello,

There's not a video gamer alive that hasn't at least heard of the pokemon franchise, and who couldn't? It's one of the largest franchises on the planet. Recently the games have gone a bit downhill, both in quality and in competitive battling (30 minutes is not enough time for a 6 V 6, I know this, and so do you). In wake of this, a spiritual successor of sorts is rising from Ios and coming to Switch, steam, PS4 and more!
1595651797348.png
blurry image that I found on steam, I did not take this image.
To deviate from the pre-established formula, there are some changes.
-Instead of 3 starters, you have a choice of 7,
-You "tame" monsters instead of catching them in triangles
-To settle the missing father trend, your character is an orphan.
Honestly I don't know how to feel about this, It's great that they're harkening back to Gen 4 graphics on stronger hardware, but will this be a mighty number 9 or Shantae situation.

Ballad of Caius

Stardust 💫
Awards
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Pokemon alternatives have always existed. We've had Digimon and Monster Rancher (which was revived recently). There's also the ROM hacking community, which has existed for a long time. It was through the ROM hacking community that I played an obviously unofficial remake of Pokemon Gold Version: ShinyGold, lol. I loved it to death. It was during the period that Gen4 was first announced and unveiled, and since Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, the desire of a Johto remake was always present.

Obviously, after playing ShinyGold, I played SoulSilver.

---

But I digress. The point is that there will always exist Pokemon alternatives (Yokai Watch comes to mind, now that I think about it). So every single entry has the potential to either be good or be a bit of a mess like how Mighty No.9 was.

Soldier

Awards
  • The Foreteller
  • Savage Nymph
  • Completionist
  • Just Short of the Mark
  • 15th Anniversary
Pokemon alternatives have always existed. We've had Digimon and Monster Rancher (which was revived recently). There's also the ROM hacking community, which has existed for a long time. It was through the ROM hacking community that I played an obviously unofficial remake of Pokemon Gold Version: ShinyGold, lol. I loved it to death. It was during the period that Gen4 was first announced and unveiled, and since Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, the desire of a Johto remake was always present.

Obviously, after playing ShinyGold, I played SoulSilver.

---

But I digress. The point is that there will always exist Pokemon alternatives (Yokai Watch comes to mind, now that I think about it). So every single entry has the potential to either be good or be a bit of a mess like how Mighty No.9 was.
I guess I can see some of that, Invizimals was another one with a similar concept to the ones you mentioned. I guess what separates this one is the relative "closeness" to the source material. How much is retained remains to be seen.

Veevee

Awards
  • Red Travels the Farthest
  • Luna Diviner
  • Flurry of Dancing Flames
  • Savage Nymph
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Unicornis Union
I'm always excited for every Pokémon clone because the main Pokémon series just doesn't do it anymore for me. I can't bring myself to finish Pokémon games nowadays because I never get the feeling that I could succeed at one of their main goals. Catch all Pokémon? Probably impossible if you don't keep up with every Legendary promo code, basically buy the same game twice under different names and invest a looot of time. Be the best trainer? I can beat the Elite 4 without problem, but my team i nowhere near competitively good. Finish the story - what story? I'm not saying the Pokémon games are bad, but they're just not up my alley anymore. Still, every now and then I really want to play something with monster catching (loved the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, found Ni no Kuni okay and didn't really get that much into Yokai Watch) and hope that this one will do good.

Ballad of Caius

Stardust 💫
Awards
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
I guess I can see some of that, Invizimals was another one with a similar concept to the ones you mentioned. I guess what separates this one is the relative "closeness" to the source material. How much is retained remains to be seen.
Also, GameFreak isn't that big and competent of a developer either. Pokemon I think is owned by the Pokemon Company, Nintendo and GameFreak, and last I checked, the Pokemon Company wasn't very interested in expanding Pokemon beyond the app games.

The Pokemon Company literally took a flavor of the app gaming economy and don't want to return to mainline.

Soldier

Awards
  • The Foreteller
  • Savage Nymph
  • Completionist
  • Just Short of the Mark
  • 15th Anniversary
I'm always excited for every Pokémon clone because the main Pokémon series just doesn't do it anymore for me. I can't bring myself to finish Pokémon games nowadays because I never get the feeling that I could succeed at one of their main goals. Catch all Pokémon? Probably impossible if you don't keep up with every Legendary promo code, basically buy the same game twice under different names and invest a looot of time. Be the best trainer? I can beat the Elite 4 without problem, but my team i nowhere near competitively good. Finish the story - what story? I'm not saying the Pokémon games are bad, but they're just not up my alley anymore. Still, every now and then I really want to play something with monster catching (loved the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, found Ni no Kuni okay and didn't really get that much into Yokai Watch) and hope that this one will do good.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. And wow, another person who played Ni No Kuni, how rare! you never find people like that around here.