• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New Study Suggests Humans may have Psychic Powers

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirusCoreHacker

New Study Suggests Humans Have Psychic Powers - Asylum.com

above said:
There is evidence to suggest that our actions are influenced by future events.

Daryl Bem, a psychology professor at Cornell University ran nine experiments on 1,000 student volunteers to test if what is going to happen in the future will influence their decision-making.

In one experiment, the students were shown two curtains on a computer screen. They were told there was an erotic image behind one. After they guessed a curtain, the computer randomly put the erotic picture behind one of the curtains and then revealed it to the student.

It turned out that the students' pick and the computer's randomization agreed more often than could be explained by chance. In fact, in eight of the nine experiments, there was a statistically significant conclusion that people have some sort of insight about what is going to happen in the future.

Bem's findings will be published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology later this year. Joachim Krueger, a psychology professor at Brown University, who finds the concept that people can sense what is going to happen in the future "ridiculous," has conceded that Bem's methodology is in "good order."

It's odd to think that we can learn from the future, when it is so hard for us to learn from the past.

PSYCHO CRUSHER

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
Interesting

This could explain all those deja vu moments I keep getting randomly :x

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
My personal beliefs are we all have the capacity to attain spirituality and enlightenment to such a degree we transcend worldly things and go beyond our normal senses.

So yes, I think some people can have prescience so they can "sense" the future to a degree.

However, I don't really care for the article

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
psycho-mantis.jpg

So yeah....

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Statistical significance can be absolute shit, especially if the test isn't repeated. One group found statisically significant brain activity in a dead frog just to prove that sometimes numbers and results don't always mean something.

Cheaken

Awards
I doubt consciousness in anyway can really see anything in the future, mainly because the mind is ran on hormones and not magic.

sora364

Inactive until DDD NA Release.
Awards
...So in essence, this person is attributing mere coincidence to a supposed supernatural phenomena? I sincerely doubt these students possessed any conclusive "insight." I am interested in learning the probability of the erotic image displayed as it was "random." If there was...an 70% chance the image was going to appear regardless-obviously most students are going to get it right.

*sighs*

Awards
.... They were showing erotic images to college students?

...Why? They figure that's what they could relate to the easiest? XD

IceBlueWings

もっともっと&#
:< I don't really want to predict the future so much...except maybe the terrible things that will happen.

EDIT: I've been wondering that too, PL. XP

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I do love me some ham-fisted bullshit.
It turned out that the students' pick and the computer's randomization agreed more often than could be explained by chance. In fact, in eight of the nine experiments, there was a statistically significant conclusion that people have some sort of insight about what is going to happen in the future.
No numbers whatsoever - just the term 'significant'. Is this 'significance' enough to warrant genuine inquiry and attention from the scientific community, or just 'significant' enough that such an experiment can be passed off as not a waste of time and resources?

Izayoi

galactic cancer
...If the computer assigned the image to one of the curtains after they picked it, then how did they 'predict'? It's one thing to have 'psychic-level' intuition and another to just flat-out see the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back