• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New Parasite Eve game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

FacetiousDreamer

Okay, we all saw the picture of Aya in FFVII Remake announcement trailer. What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you think SE will make another Parasite Eve game or reboot the series, or maybe this picture means nothing? Would you prefer sequel or remake?

51FU9A8.jpg

Parasite_Eve%3A_The_3rd_Birthday_PSP_1304404664-218250.jpeg

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: New PARASITE EVE game!

I'm not too sure, but Nomura likes a call back as much as anyone, honestly. I don't think it was a hint at making a new game, considering its average reviews, and nobody generally too happy with it? I probably shouldn't speak in generalizations as I'm probably going to be faced with "NO I LOVED IT IT'S AWESOME" but from what I've heard everywhere, people just kinda forgot it happened.

To make a new game for the series, it just seems like a stretch to me, and seems more like Nomura doing a callback to a character he's designed. Aya was an edited Cloud model anyways.

FacetiousDreamer

It’s too suspicious. One thing when developers put something like this in the game (it’s a common occurrence), but put it in the trailer, -- kind of strange. I read somewhere that 3rd birthday could have been a game for a home consoles, but for some reason never became one (money loss because of FFXIV looks like a good reason to me).

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

And because Parasite Eve wasn't exactly the top most game. It would have been a giant risk for a lot of reasons.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

wow this is the most click bait article since khi stopped doing april fools'

FacetiousDreamer

And because Parasite Eve wasn't exactly the top most game. It would have been a giant risk for a lot of reasons.
First game sold over 2m copies, it was a solid success. Second one didn’t sell that well because of the obvious reason, -- terrible RE-like controls.
Please, name the reasons, because I simply don't see how this would be a GIANT risk. Some reasonable risk -- yes, but giant risk it’s sounds like an exaggeration.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Idk if we'll see a new Parasite Eve anytime soon, but I'd love to. I'd like to believe this is Nomura's attempt at saying "do not forget Aya" because he probably would really like to work on a PE3. I'm fairly certain there is an interview out there where he said something to that effect ages ago.

What does that even mea--oh the title lol

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

First game sold over 2m copies, it was a solid success. Second one didn’t sell that well because of the obvious reason, -- terrible RE-like controls.
Please, name the reasons, because I simply don't see how this would be a GIANT risk. Some reasonable risk -- yes, but giant risk it’s sounds like an exaggeration.

Pffft I'm at work so I probably shouldn't even be posting. To my knowledge, budget allowance, team allowance, Japan's steady and hard decline of console and console game sales (which is part of why I think FFVII is even happening), the last game not doing well, etc.

Just a couple reasons I know a game like Parasite Eve, which has a decent following, isn't enough in some cases and they need sales more than anything.

FacetiousDreamer

Re: New PARASITE EVE game?

Idk if we'll see a new Parasite Eve anytime soon, but I'd love to. I'd like to believe this is Nomura's attempt at saying "do not forget Aya" because he probably would really like to work on a PE3. I'm fairly certain there is an interview out there where he said something to that effect.
Yes, he did mention Aya. But when exactly it was, that's the question.

What does that even mea--oh the title lol

Yeah, I kind of forgot to add question mark after exclamation point :)

Pffft I'm at work so I probably shouldn't even be posting. To my knowledge, budget allowance, team allowance, Japan's steady and hard decline of console and console game sales (which is part of why I think FFVII is even happening), the last game not doing well, etc.

Just a couple reasons I know a game like Parasite Eve, which has a decent following, isn't enough in some cases and they need sales more than anything.
But still they're making sequel to Neir which is not doing that well either and making some new IP (which is the biggest risk you can possibly get). And 3rd is not doing okay because it’s portable. I love PE, but I didn’t buy last one. Lots of people did the same. They’d love to see PEIII, but don’t give a damn about portable PE.

But that’s all said about today’s situation while we were talking about FFXIV's fail (2010) and why The 3rd birthday was released in form of a portable game (2011)… :/
But never mind.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I mean sales for consoles and console games have been declining since the PS3 in 2006 so.
I'm also primarily talking about Japan. Over here it's handhelds.

FacetiousDreamer

I mean sales for consoles and console games have been declining since the PS3 in 2006 so.
I'm also primarily talking about Japan. Over here it's handhelds.
You're talking about Japan, yes. But not the whole world.
PS2 = 157.68m
GC = 21.74m
Xbox = 24.65m

PS3 = 85.77m
Xbox360 = 84.9m
Wii =101.17m
And current generation is about to become even more successful.

SE as well as lots of other companies prefer handhelds and mobiles now because it's less risky, yes. But tell me how Neir or The Last Ramnant (which are not portable) are less risky than PE game for home consoles. I didn't get any anwser.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Because I haven't responded yet? There's still a decline in those numbers!
Edit I realize I didn't answer the last thing. Like I said, at work. I'll answer once I'm on lunch.

Now, I don't know everything, I don't know exactly what's going on in the investor meetings.
All I know is that it's still a risk. All things you mentioned are a risk. Square Enix (rather square themselves) almost thrive on risks. But at the current moment, it seems like they're taking a step back and going with safer routes.
That's how it's looking to me, at least. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII are going to give them fantastic sales, something they need.

I'm not even necessarily saying you're wrong, I just doubt it very much. It just doesn't seem likely at the current moment. If anything, we will not hear anything of PE for years and years to come.

Forgot to mention but the reason I bring up Japan sales is because that's where this game would come from. They want Japan to buy it. They want Japan to buy their games. If Japan doesn't buy the game, it still takes a lot for localizing it everywhere else.
For example, Okami, from Clover, still sold... But not enough. It tanked in Japan, leading to Clover unfortunately shutting down. They made a huge risk for a fantastic game that still sold better in America, which at the time still was in the good era of the ps2, but it wasn't enough. Just because it sells doesn't mean it's enough.

FacetiousDreamer

Will Nier 2 or their new IP game (forgot the title) give them fantastic sales? No. But they’re still making these games which are a lot riskier than FFVIIR, KHIII, FFXV and DQXI. I’m not telling that new PE game coming out any soon, I’m not telling that it’ll come out at all, I’m only telling that picture in the trailer in my opinion looks like a hint or teaser, and that you’re exaggerating when calling it a giant risk, that’s all.

You’re wrong in so many ways. To talk about everything is a whole another topic (or even topics). I don't want to waste my time, so this conversation is over.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

Nier 2 easily could. Ignoring the fact it didn't sell well in its initial run, it still is one of those things in media where everybody seemed to fondly discover it later and immensely enjoyed it. You also can't definitively say a new IP won't give them good sales. That's something you have to wait and see.

As for the picture, it's literally just a single picture in the background of a trailer. Developers do this sort of thing all of the time. It's not a big deal.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Honestly, SE said they were open to revisiting IPs and building them up, so it is just a matter of seeing what they do in the future. They are already starting this out with FFVII, Nier, Seiken Densetsu, and they have shown an interest in revisiting Chrono and who knows what else they have in store.

FacetiousDreamer

Shoot, I forgot that Neir 2 is being developed by Platinum games. With Taro Yoko’s wicked story and Platinum’s bad a** action, I almost sure this sequel will at least double the sales of the original.

And how about The 3rd birthday’s HD? Is somebody interested? I’d consider buying it if they’d modify gameplay and enemies: targeting different parts of their bodies with right stick (no auto-aim).

shuyin_zer0

Awards

We probably won't see a true PE game either for a long time, or ever again. The reason why we got T3B is because Square no longer has the rights to use the "Parasite Eve" name, or to use the actual character of Parasite Eve, because she is technically owned by Hideaki Sena (for those unaware, the games are sequels/spinoffs to the novel of the same name, which is referenced by Maeda late in PE1). T3B happened because they didn't want to pay for temporary rights again and could only make a game using the characters that they created. T3B was an absolute abomination, jumping from a plot that is somewhat scientifically possible (though not likely), to some BS about time-travel and broken souls. I hope we never see Aya Brea again, unless T3B is retconned and they actually buy the rights again. lol

Awards
I only have played The 3rd Birthday, and in terms of what I experienced, it would seem nice to at least continue the series, for it shows a significant amount of promise.

Back