• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New BBS Trailer and Nomura Interview!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solus94

GameSpot just posted a new 2 minute long trailer for BBS. The trailer is a good one, heavily showing off the new voices. It cuts in and out between cutscenes and gameplay, showing the best of both. Much of the dialogue is new, and unseen as of yet and shows that the game is going to have much emotion, such as a scene that shows tears streaming down Eraqus's face, and Ven asking his friends to, "Put an end to him." Watch it with the link below.

GameSpot interview - thanks to AllEndsWith-

GameSpot: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is a prequel to the original game. Was this idea already planned from the beginning? What made you decide to go back and make a prequel?

Tetsuya Nomura: There was a possibility that Kingdom Hearts would only have one installment, so Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was not something that we had planned from the get-go. However, by the time we were working on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, we had already started to piece together Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days [and] coded and Birth by Sleep. Ultimately, we wanted to resolve the mysteries that have been scattered thus far, and to clarify what mysteries lay ahead in the series. Right now, you could say that we've entered the preparation stage, heading toward the conclusion of Xehanort's tale. I hope everyone gets to see the secret ending.

GS: Could you tell us more about the story of Birth by Sleep?

TN: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is set the furthest in the past in the series. You could even call it "Kingdom Hearts 0." Players will unravel mysteries in the Kingdom Hearts storyline by playing through the perspectives of each of the three new characters.

GS: What was the decision behind making it for the PSP? How did this platform change the design approach and how it would play?

TN: The three Kingdom Hearts games currently available for handheld platforms are compressed in terms of the story's volume; crafted so that a single session of gameplay does not consume too much time. Because the Kingdom Hearts I and II were developed for the PlayStation 2, we felt that the PSP platform would be fitting for an entry that is equally compelling, contentwise, to a numbered title. There are fewer buttons on a PSP system, of course, so I think that our efforts to streamline the controls resulted in a more intuitive, fast-paced system overall.

GS: How has the gameplay changed? What was the decision behind the changes?

TN: Playing Kingdom Hearts often turns into a button-mashing session, so we took that tendency into account when designing this new system. The character's actions change continuously leading up to the finishing move, and with command styles, the command deck itself changes to reveal a whole new set of actions. Aside from this, there is a greater selection of moves to choose from during battle, which increases the player's freedom to strategize. The system keeps you constantly engaged in a speedy, satisfying, and flashy battle experience. I think that this is an evolution made possible by the Kingdom Hearts fans who have demonstrated a distinct style of gameplay throughout the years.

GS: How did you decide what locations and Disney and Final Fantasy characters were to be included?

TN: The process of choosing worlds has been the same with every entry. First, we select the worlds that are essential based on the scenario; in this title's case, the three princesses worlds. Then, to add some variety to the locations, we decided to include Deep Space (Lilo & Stitch) and Neverland (Peter Pan). Since Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep takes place before the rest of the games in the series, we decided to include Olympus Coliseum (Hercules) to show the contrast between past and present. We were able to incorporate more locations because of the hardware's capacity and also because this title carries the same weight as a numbered Kingdom Hearts title. Zack makes an appearance in this game because he, himself, is a character from the Final Fantasy series' past, making him a good fit for a title that portrays the Kingdom Hearts series' past.

GS: Could you talk about the multiplayer modes? What was the reasoning behind including multiplayer?

TN: In Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, you could venture to different worlds to accomplish missions, but this time around, players can gather in a world called the Mirage Arena to defeat target enemies. Up to three players can play co-op or against each other three on three. There are also minigame battles that are new to the series; Command Board and Rumble Racing. We utilized the hardware's wireless capabilities and capacity to the fullest to offer minigames that people can jump right in and out of. This way, players can enjoy the variety of battles and worlds that the game has to offer.

GS: What was the inspiration behind the new characters and their designs?

TN: The "master and apprentice" relationship portrayed in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was inspired by Japanese tradition, so Japanese-inspired designs have been incorporated into Terra, Aqua, and their master Eraqus' outfits. The other designs are all related to the mysteries presented throughout the Kingdom Hearts series, so I will leave it up to the players to figure out the connection.

GS: Will new players be able to enjoy Birth by Sleep without having played any other Kingdom Hearts game before? What will fans be looking forward to?

TN: We, of course, consider first-time players when developing each installment, but the games were always part of a single timeline, and some players couldn't quite get into the games because they felt out of touch with the rest of the story. Because Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is positioned at the very beginning of the storyline and introduces all-new characters, I personally felt a sense of freedom much like when I was developing Kingdom Hearts. I think this is great timing for those who are looking for a way into the series.
No matter which entry you start with, the story is always heading in the same direction. Much like players can choose to complete the three characters' stories in any order in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, no matter which Kingdom Hearts game you pick up first, the overarching story never changes. It's only a matter of finding things out in a different order, and I think it's great that the series can be enjoyed from so many perspectives.

GS: How will the North American version be different from the Japanese version?

TN: There are a variety of new elements, including Critical mode, which takes the difficulty level beyond Proud mode, key blades, abilities, minigame maps and songs. We're also unleashing a mystery enemy for North American fans, so hopefully everyone will enjoy the challenge.

GS: Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

BBSFTW

Re: New Exclusive BBS Trailer

very nice find Solus94

can't wait to get the game

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Nice find. Voice acting definitely improving ^^

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I havne't seen this one yet...so I think it is new...thanks so much!!!

"A key that opens the hearts of men, such a power I find fascinating" -Maleficent...lol, shes so desperate to find a guy XD

This a great trailer...there are a few that are able to give me goosebumps, and this is one of them...the ending is soooo good...I'M SO EXCITED!!!

AllEndsWith-

GameSpot Q&A W/ Nomura

Here's the Q&A

It came out today so I don't think its old.

Enjoy the read.

EDIT
After reading it myself, there doesn't seem to be anything mindblowing new. Rather topics about how they came to make the game or the whole "master and apprentice" aspects in it.

I just realized the trailer on the page is new! Whoa.

Bonus get!

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: GameSpot Q&A W/ Nomura

Wow, a new trailer and interview. Nice find :D

Copy/pasted here for convenience.

GameSpot: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is a prequel to the original game. Was this idea already planned from the beginning? What made you decide to go back and make a prequel?

Tetsuya Nomura: There was a possibility that Kingdom Hearts would only have one installment, so Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was not something that we had planned from the get-go. However, by the time we were working on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, we had already started to piece together Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days [and] coded and Birth by Sleep. Ultimately, we wanted to resolve the mysteries that have been scattered thus far, and to clarify what mysteries lay ahead in the series. Right now, you could say that we've entered the preparation stage, heading toward the conclusion of Xehanort's tale. I hope everyone gets to see the secret ending.

GS: Could you tell us more about the story of Birth by Sleep?

TN: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is set the furthest in the past in the series. You could even call it "Kingdom Hearts 0." Players will unravel mysteries in the Kingdom Hearts storyline by playing through the perspectives of each of the three new characters.

GS: What was the decision behind making it for the PSP? How did this platform change the design approach and how it would play?

TN: The three Kingdom Hearts games currently available for handheld platforms are compressed in terms of the story's volume; crafted so that a single session of gameplay does not consume too much time. Because the Kingdom Hearts I and II were developed for the PlayStation 2, we felt that the PSP platform would be fitting for an entry that is equally compelling, contentwise, to a numbered title. There are fewer buttons on a PSP system, of course, so I think that our efforts to streamline the controls resulted in a more intuitive, fast-paced system overall.

GS: How has the gameplay changed? What was the decision behind the changes?

TN: Playing Kingdom Hearts often turns into a button-mashing session, so we took that tendency into account when designing this new system. The character's actions change continuously leading up to the finishing move, and with command styles, the command deck itself changes to reveal a whole new set of actions. Aside from this, there is a greater selection of moves to choose from during battle, which increases the player's freedom to strategize. The system keeps you constantly engaged in a speedy, satisfying, and flashy battle experience. I think that this is an evolution made possible by the Kingdom Hearts fans who have demonstrated a distinct style of gameplay throughout the years.

GS: How did you decide what locations and Disney and Final Fantasy characters were to be included?

TN: The process of choosing worlds has been the same with every entry. First, we select the worlds that are essential based on the scenario; in this title's case, the three princesses worlds. Then, to add some variety to the locations, we decided to include Deep Space (Lilo & Stitch) and Neverland (Peter Pan). Since Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep takes place before the rest of the games in the series, we decided to include Olympus Coliseum (Hercules) to show the contrast between past and present. We were able to incorporate more locations because of the hardware's capacity and also because this title carries the same weight as a numbered Kingdom Hearts title. Zack makes an appearance in this game because he, himself, is a character from the Final Fantasy series' past, making him a good fit for a title that portrays the Kingdom Hearts series' past.

GS: Could you talk about the multiplayer modes? What was the reasoning behind including multiplayer?

TN: In Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, you could venture to different worlds to accomplish missions, but this time around, players can gather in a world called the Mirage Arena to defeat target enemies. Up to three players can play co-op or against each other three on three. There are also minigame battles that are new to the series; Command Board and Rumble Racing. We utilized the hardware's wireless capabilities and capacity to the fullest to offer minigames that people can jump right in and out of. This way, players can enjoy the variety of battles and worlds that the game has to offer.

GS: What was the inspiration behind the new characters and their designs?

TN: The "master and apprentice" relationship portrayed in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was inspired by Japanese tradition, so Japanese-inspired designs have been incorporated into Terra, Aqua, and their master Eraqus' outfits. The other designs are all related to the mysteries presented throughout the Kingdom Hearts series, so I will leave it up to the players to figure out the connection.

GS: Will new players be able to enjoy Birth by Sleep without having played any other Kingdom Hearts game before? What will fans be looking forward to?

TN: We, of course, consider first-time players when developing each installment, but the games were always part of a single timeline, and some players couldn't quite get into the games because they felt out of touch with the rest of the story. Because Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is positioned at the very beginning of the storyline and introduces all-new characters, I personally felt a sense of freedom much like when I was developing Kingdom Hearts. I think this is great timing for those who are looking for a way into the series.
No matter which entry you start with, the story is always heading in the same direction. Much like players can choose to complete the three characters' stories in any order in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, no matter which Kingdom Hearts game you pick up first, the overarching story never changes. It's only a matter of finding things out in a different order, and I think it's great that the series can be enjoyed from so many perspectives.

GS: How will the North American version be different from the Japanese version?

TN: There are a variety of new elements, including Critical mode, which takes the difficulty level beyond Proud mode, key blades, abilities, minigame maps and songs. We're also unleashing a mystery enemy for North American fans, so hopefully everyone will enjoy the challenge.

GS: Thank you for your time!

kupo1121

Awards

Thanks for the copy Sign, sadly there isn't much new info, but it's nice to see Nomura is at least keeping up with the US release.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Yeah. Terra sounds really good now imo.

I love his "What did I do? What did you do?" line. Aww Terra D:

Edit: Lipsynching! :D

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Thanks for the copy Sign, sadly there isn't much new info, but it's nice to see Nomura is at least keeping up with the US release.

I'm just glad he mentioned the whole KH0 thing again. I'm getting tired of all the people complaining about BBS being a useless spinoff.

kupo1121

Awards

Is there really lipsynching? I can't tell, I think my audio is off...

I know...I very excited because I think this game is a true installment in the main series, and many people would think the exact same thing if it was on a console...it's just because it's on the PSP that people don't think that....I think that way of thinking is just being stubborn.

Last edited:

kupo1121

Awards

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post, IDK how it happened considering I remember typing them up with people writing in between earlier.

Last edited:

Xenin

Banned

This one deffinetly seems Ven focused. Jessy Mcartny(Or however you spell his name) Is really stepping his game up in th VA department. he actually sounded like he was in it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I'm happy that the trailer has a lot more Terra. That last one showed him for like 2 seconds.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com

"What did I do? What did you do?" POOR TERRA! D:

"...And then we will rule the worlds together!" Is it just me, or did Maleficent sound like she was hitting on Terra there? :shudders:

SO FCKING EPIC. LOL Did anyone read the comments? One user said it was stupid of Nomura to make Ven look like Roxas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back